The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
KM 84i and 84 -whats the difference?
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

KM 84i and 84 -whats the difference?

I've seen the KM 84i ocassionally.Is this a different version of a real 84 or is it just a different name badge for some reason.

When were these manufactured?Is it a real 84 or closer to the 184s?

Thanks,
Pete Ruthenburg
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure the only difference is that the 84 uses a tuchel connector while the 84i is the US export version and uses a XLR connector. Neither version sounds like a 184...... Km84s are much better in my opinion.
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
I'm pretty sure the only difference is that the 84 uses a tuchel connector while the 84i is the US export version and uses a XLR connector. Neither version sounds like a 184...... Km84s are much better in my opinion.

KM84, through hole
KM184, surface mount

TLM103,193, surface mount
U-87, U-89, through hole

AKG 460, through hole
AKG 480, surface mount

AKG414 B, EB, through hole
AKG414 new, surface mount

Trident 80, through hole
Toft 90, surface mount

Does anyone see a pattern here???

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Addict

I just bought a KM84i and I was *told* that the i version just indicated that it was a black matte finish. I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of this statement. As matter of a fact, wouldn't mind if someone more knowledgeable piped in.
Old 21st June 2005
member no 666

No.

The "i" means that it has an XLR connector instead of a Tuchel connector.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks -- 'preciate the info!
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Does anyone see a pattern here???

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

No patterm, but I see boobies, what does that mean?

but seriously are you saying Jim that everything surface mounted is crap, or just some things?

Are there any prasied gealslut pieces made surface mounted?

Is surface mounting itself responsible or just crappy designs to start with?

I dont have an opinion, just asking the question.
Old 22nd June 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
No patterm, but I see boobies, what does that mean?
Normally an ass man all I notice lately are boobies. Hmm...

Surface mount stuff is generally cheaper to manufacturer, but I think what Jim's getting at is it is a bitch to get off the board thus making it a bitch to mod or fix in many cases.

War
Old 22nd June 2005
Here's my beef: Most of the older through hole components are of higher quality than the current crop of surface mount parts. In Neumann, you have the substitution of Wima film caps with monolythic ceramic surface mount caps. If the curious want the hear what happens when you do that, just solder in a ceramic cap into the high shelf section of just about any EQ. Do you like that?

As to resistors, most of these companies are using cheap surface mount parts which are noisy, limited in power, (typically 1/10 watt) and sound small and strident. But not all are. Michal at Mytek uses surface mount metal film resistors, but most companies don't. This includes Neumann.

Surface mount IC's are not a problem, but servicing them can be a bitch. A blown surface mount opamp can easily burn the pcb and cook the traces making the board unrepairable. Not good. A through hole chip mounted in a socked can always be easily repaired. I see that the companies making the cheaper surface mount pcb's consider repairs to now be board replacement. Fixing them at the service dept. is no longer an option due to labor costs. It's simply cheaper for them to shove in another machine made surface mount pcb than it is for the techs to repair it. Think about the lead filled pcb's filling the landfills next time you put out your recycle trash bin.

As to double sided pcb's, in audio there is little advantage for that unless you incorporate digital circuits with them. Power and ground planes can be helpfull in reducing noise from the audio circuits which share digital processing. An example is the Lynx 2 card. It has ground and power planes to reduce radiated digital interference and does a pretty good job of filtering the noise out. It also unfortunatly filters out some of the audio details, but that's another story.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search