The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need new power amp..
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Need new power amp..

My main power amp is on it's last legs - and I'm not quite ready to blow the wad on a nice set of Adams (yet), so I need a new power amp to run an old set of JBL monitors.

I was thinking of a Hafler P3000, as I've heard that it's a great 'bang for the buck' amp if you can find them used (and cheap).

Any other recommendations? The local BanjoMart only had the new Alesis amps (no idea if they're any good or not).
"-)
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

It would be easier to make suggestions if you stated the model no. of the monitors, then people could make suggestions based on their efficiency etc.

A Quad 606 is a good bet secondhand: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

The 606 uses a similar (once patented "Current Dumping") topology to the famous 405 which was / is an industry-standard for nearfield applications in many studios.

It seems there are a few 405s on evilbay at the 'mo: http://search.ebay.com/quad-405_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Secondhand Quads are good value. Maybe you should let us know what you intend to spend so more suggestions can be made.

Justin
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry - JBL 4208's.. the pregnant-looking ones. Been using them since about 91 or 92.. they've served me well.... Yeah, it's time to upgrade... soon - soon.. soon..
"-)
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Twenty+ years ago, I had a Hafler DH-200 or DH-220 (I forget which variant) connected to JBL 4311's for my home system. It seemed to be a good combo.

Bri
Old 21st June 2005
crown amps have a 3 year transferable warranty. I blew a cap in my main power amp, Crown sent me a shipping label, they paid to to ship it back to them and they sent me a brand new one 2 days later!
I dont know many companies that still do business like that, but they have my loyalty FOREVER thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

not to mention they are great amps

pay the extra $ for a crown it's worth it.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input guys...

Which Crown would you recommend in this power range? Are any of them passively cooled? I don't really want fans in the room, if possible.

Someone is selling a P3000 in the classifieds section.... I'm seriously considering grabbing it..
"-)
Old 21st June 2005
One with big hooves

The Hafler P3000 is pretty much a standard. I stumbled across a used one for under $200 and it's worth every penny and then some since they're about what...$600ish new? It's got more punch and focus then the crappy Alesis amps or Samson's etc. And since it's passively cooled you don't have to worry about fan noise in the control room which is always a beautiful thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search