The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rosetta with digi oo2
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Rosetta with digi oo2

Is it possible to bypass the oo2 and use a Rosetta 800 with PTLE? Anyone? I read on the site that it works with nuendo and also with some other popular software. Might be a good reason to switch to nuendo.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Nooooooooooooope

have to use the ADAT port for now.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Hello superburtm...

I don't think Digidesign will ever allow a signal to be recorded from an Apogee converter straight into Pro Tools LE.
In fact there's no way you can buy Pro Tools LE without buying Digi 002.
Pro Tools LE plus some sort of "low" quality Digidesign converter is supposed to be sold as a package for non-pros or semi-pros.

Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

So is there no option of using a better a/d converter with the 002?
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
So is there no option of using a better a/d converter with the 002?
Yes...just get the Rosetta and use it via the ADAT connections. This uses the conversion on the Rosetta instead of the conversion on the digi002.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

You have a 002 and want to connect the Rosetta 800 into the ADAT lightpipe i/o? Should work fine, thats what the lightpipe is for. I have a 001 with a Digimax LT in the lightpipe and a Rosetta AD in the s/pdf inputs.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandk
You have a 002 and want to connect the Rosetta 800 into the ADAT lightpipe i/o? Should work fine
it does. however, it's limited to 48kHz.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

What Digi need to do is Allow multible LE interfaces on one computer. Maybe in ProTools 7.0???? Thats the only major step I see them going to. I don't think new LE interface will sell........well maybe if it had no less than 16 "ANALOG" ins/out plus 16 "Digital" ins and outs??

3 Digi-002racks connected to one computer............. thumbsup
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan
In fact there's no way you can buy Pro Tools LE without buying Digi 002.

Sure there is... buy a 001 or a M-box.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

thumbsup

Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra
Sure there is... buy a 001 or a M-box.
Or even a M-audio card and PT for M-audio. I haven't read anything good about this route though yet, seems its not entirely there yet. YMMV
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

zimv20,
What limits it to 48k?
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

on the apogee site it says: 8-channel, 24bit/96kHz AD/DA Converter (192k version available)
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
zimv20,
What limits it to 48k?
the adat interface. the apogee can do s/mux over lightpipe for 96k, but the 002 cannot.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

That sux!
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Firewire for Future Connectivity
Rosetta 800 has room for expansion. With the optional Firewire card installed (available Fall 2004), you'll be able to connect the Rosetta 800 natively to any Firewire input device, without the need for additional hardware.

Does this not apply for PTLE?
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

The 002 is like a big dongle.
It (or mbox...) must be used to fire up protools le.
I don't believe there is any way around it.

Andrew

fuuck 002 _________ (Yeah, I use one)
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

This is the setup I'm using right now. Yes, you are limited to 48kHz (which is ok, because when you hear the Rosetta at 44.1 or 48/24, you'll be happy.) And yes, I have been considering a platform change, not because of the samplerate, but because I can consider it.

Meanwhile, I've cranked out a lot of stuff on this rig. I had a Rosetta on loan for a while, then when I had to, I bought one. I think it's a nice combo, but like I said, the sample-rate thing doesn't bother me.

This is pure conjecture but hopefully somewhat within the topic[?]), but do you guys think it's likely to be a long or short time before there's either a revision to the Rosetta 800 or a new model? I have no idea what the 'market lifespan' of converters is, but we're thinking about getting a second one of these so we don't have to drag it back and forth between places. I'm of the mind that if you need something, you should get it, within reason; my recording partner (who's gonna foot the bill on the second unit) is one of those people who is always afraid of the new model coming out right after he buys one.

Like I said, this is, of course conjecture.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

If I grab the Rosetta for use with my 002 would I still benefit from the BIG BEN or would the clock in the Rosetta be sufficient?
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I grab the Rosetta for use with my 002 would I still benefit from the BIG BEN or would the clock in the Rosetta be sufficient?
w/o the BB, it's certainly not a _bad_ setup, and i've found the apogee converters to be better than the 002 ones.

i ran the 800 into the 002r, via lightpipe, for about 8 months. no reason you can't make music with such a setup.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This is the setup I'm using right now. Yes, you are limited to 48kHz (which is ok, because when you hear the Rosetta at 44.1 or 48/24, you'll be happy.) And yes, I have been considering a platform change, not because of the samplerate, but because I can consider it.
This is good to hear.
I'm planning on a Rosetta this summer.
Max, are you using another clock, or is the clock in the rosetta working for you?

Andrew
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

superburtm,

as someone already said, you wouldn't be able to get Rosetta 800 to work at 96 kHz along with Digi 002, but bear in mind that you probably wouldn't be able to use it anyway, since 30 + tracks at 96K/24bit (with all the processing from plug-ins and automation in a normal band mix) would take an enourmous processing power... it's not an impossible scenario but you would still need a very fast CPU and very very fast hard-drives (not to mention all the other stuff like good partitioning, etc)... of course it all depends on how hard you drive your own stuff, but that's my experience...
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
This is good to hear.
I'm planning on a Rosetta this summer.
Max, are you using another clock, or is the clock in the rosetta working for you?

Andrew
It's working great; although the guys at Apogee claim the Big Ben will make it that much better. Also, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't run a Rosetta 800 with a Rosetta 200 and have ten inputs. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work? I thought of using an 800 with a mini-me at first, but there's no sync input. for some reason, ten inputs seems like a lot more than eight (I know, it's only two more!)

My basic system is: API preamps -> Rosetta -> 002/PTLE -> Rosetta -> monitors. It's modest, but not a bad rig for what I've got in it. I'll put it this way; with this setup, I feel like I need to be better before the gear needs to be any better, and really, that's all I could ask for.

Yeah, and 44.1/24 on the Rosetta eats the 002 for lunch (at any samplerate) and it still has room for dessert. First difference you'll notice is the cymbals and the reverb tails; but really everything is better.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm jonesing for a Rosetta now!
I just picked up a TG2, so the 800 will have to wait a month or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Yeah, and 44.1/24 on the Rosetta eats the 002 for lunch (at any samplerate) and it still has room for dessert. First difference you'll notice is the cymbals and the reverb tails; but really everything is better.

Andrew
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Maniac

i went through this when I was getting my setup - the rosetta 800 will NOT do 96k with a digi 002. it is a huge improvement over sound quality though, and you can use it as a clock source during mixing. the ADAT input on the 002 doesn't support 8 channels at 96k, only 2 channels. BUT YOU CAN DO 96K with the Rosetta 200. So your best bet is to get a Rosetta 200 or something similar if you require working at 96k, and deal with the 2 channel limitations. i couldn't get it to work on the lightpipe input, although it should, i just use the spdif ins and outs. the digi 002 is frustratingly limited in this way.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyorgans
the digi 002 is frustratingly limited in this way.
This is precisely why I've been considering a DAW change. I realize I should probably forget about it and get back to work, since my system is so stable that I never think about it...it just goes and goes, plus I have a slew of RTAS plugins, but it's just the fact that I could that keeps tapping me on the shoulder.

I don't know if Digi cares that I'm the kind of user who will get lost in the cracks, since there's no 'PTLE Pro' or anything. Certainly can't drop the bucks for HD at the moment. I think they're happy for the time being...although in the 'computer anything' game, Goliaths have come and gone faster than in just about any other industry.

Nuendo does look tempting right now...
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Max I can't agree more about the tempting switch To Nuendo. But PT is so convenient with my clients. I got the api and neve front end into the 002 on a dual 1.25 MAC G4 all I'm lacking is the rosetta! Did you buy your Rosetta new?
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Nut

The 002 has been out for 2-3 years, wouldn't surprise me if there is a new generation box coming out within the year.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Yea....good point about the 003. But I have a feeling the Rosetta would still help that out as well.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I bought the Rosetta new. I look at second-hand prices on stuff and I'm surprised at what people can sell this stuff used for. I bought most of my API stuff new because the used price is so dang close to the new price that I'd rather have a new one if I'm not gonna save a bunch of money. However, I will buy preamps and EQ's used, but I do feel better getting stuff like converters new. I don't know why.

Seems like a new Rosetta 800 ought to cost you $2700. Wouldn't you just love to know when the new 8 in/8 out Apogee is coming out, though?

As for the DAW change, while I think about switching to Nuendo, I probably won't. the Digi 002 is a bit of a pisser because of the limitations, but the thing is that I wouldn't have wanted to work outside those limitations anyway, I just don't like being told that I can't.

If I were to change right now, I'd lose a bunch of plugins, and mainly, I'd spend a good deal of time making the switch.

I guess the only PTLE limitation that gets me is the small number of busses.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search