The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the record effect
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Nut

the record effect

theres an interesting article/review in the june 6th new yorker about "How technology has transformed the sound of music." and vise versa...

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atl...06crat_atlarge
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

thank you. very good read indeed.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Addict

Sad article. Sousa gave us a great invention himself. I'm disappointed he felt that way about the work of others.

People need to consider the other side for once. I've been to 1 'real' concert in my life and it was from the Monkees reunion tour! Without recorded music, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy much music at all, and it's doubtful I would have ended up doing music related work.

Now, the abilty to record makes me able to create things I never would have been able to otherwise.

A recording is a wonderful thing because it lasts. You can spend forever getting ready for a live performance and then after that night it's over.

Why the obsession with things needing to be able to be performed live? I love William Wittman's comment from another board "I'm still waiting for the stage version of Star Wars." heh He went on to say: "Sometimes a complete fantasy that is impossible recreate live is extremely entertaining."

Don't misunderstand me - live performance is a great thing too. There's nothing like being up on stage performing. I believe both musical forms can coexist independently of each other.

Thank you.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Informative article with an Anglo point of view (as if every other music in the world is alien and must be compared to Euro-Classical to have any credit).
Another point missing is:… all the theories pointed out are TRUE not just for music but everything else in modern life that has “technology ” involved.
We must be doomed! since technology (electronics/computers) is part of almost every aspect of our modern lives.
Hence the article should have been named “The Technology Effect”
C'mon we are all tired of cheap second-hand ideas for intellectual stimulation fuuck
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

I found it a load of tripe personly...

Just a traditional european classical view of the last century. He probably cringes at the idea over Modernism.

Of course technology has transformed the sound of music... he just seems to be whinging that the defination of music is no long "12 notes organised on a stave" but now is rather simply "the organisation of sound".

Seems kind of like an "elitist" classical view like that of the early 20th century. They always have something to whinge about... Look at Jazz.

Maybe someone should explain to him what process music is.

To each his own, but it's a very narrow-minded viewpoint from my perspective.

If you ask me, its people holding onto the past and whinging that everything is changing thats killing the industry.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Ziggy,

I don't think that you have really read the article. It's not Sousa talking from the ether and the author surely doesn't take sides.

I found it to be very funny and entertaining!

Some people could learn a thing or two from classical music I guess, instead of dissing things they're not 'into'.

Remember the old Mose Alison song: ,Your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime'.......heh

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Ziggy,

I don't think that you have really read the article. It's not Sousa talking from the ether and the author surely doesn't take sides.

I found it to be very funny and entertaining!

Some people could learn a thing or two from classical music I guess, instead of dissing things they're not 'into'.

Remember the old Mose Alison song: ,Your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime'.......heh

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

I read about half of it... I didn't finish it...

Who said i wasn't into classical music? i've spent years studying it as a composer... there are many other avenues in music, but the article only focuses on one... other avenues which have been surrounded by the same technology yet still exist in the same pure form as they always have.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
I read about half of it... I didn't finish it...
That was my point, please read the whole thing and reflect upon it before voicing your opinion. It just makes for a much better discussion.

The article deals how recordings have CHANGED performances and perception in ALL music, it's not about any 'superiority' theory. I'm 100% sure that it's the same thing for say classical music from India, maybe even more so. Think about the time constraint of a recording and its effect on ragas for example.

I also found the thoughts about vibrato and 'tightness' of orchestra performances to be very interesting.

My impression is that sometimes folks form opinions way too fast, witness the heated debates about new pieces of equipment for example, in some cases BEFORE it's even been released.

One thing we all can learn from classical music is to patient , a noble goal these days.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search