The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ken Scott!
Old 5th July 2005
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK
I bet he means the CD was SO inferior - he wanted to cry....
You got it! thumbsup
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth
What CD remaster of "Crime" is the current best choice? I know a lot of old album reissues have been butcher jobs. Should I look for an European reissue?
I'm just listening to the 'Crime of the Century' CD I ordered after reading this thread (haven't heard this music in a long time)

It's the 2002 remaster version. 'Mastered from the original master tapes by Greg Calbi and Jay Messina at Sterling Sound, 2002.'

It sounds incredible, really dynamic and 'warm'. Now Greg Calbi is one mastering guy that always delivers, IMO.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
You got it! thumbsup

thumbsup
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In the late 70's, I was fortunate to have been a tech for the Artisan Mobile, recording Supertramp for the live album in Miami. (not sure if any songs from there made it to disc).

I have to say the band and FOH sounded very much like the album.
And they played this cool "London to Brighton" film behind them with a rear projector at high speed, lol. Multimedia Pioneers! thumbsup
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Larr, I attended a Supertramp concert when I lived in Houston in 1979 (Breakfast in America tour, IIRC) and they had that same film playback there as well. It all worked quite nicely.

Bri
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Backstage, it looked like a normal high school projector on a tall stand.

That was before Di di di di digital projectors.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, I guess all that existed back then, besides 16mm or 35mm projectors, were the Eidephores (sp?) and the GE light valve gizmo with the rotating glass disk in the oil bath.

I assumed it was film playback, but with a super-duper lamphouse, like a xenon, ot at least a large carbon arc.

Bri
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

After TOO many years away from "Crime of the Century", I had a relisten tonight (two, in fact!) of a vinyl transfer to CD.

Geeez..the music and sounds are so incredibly far from the CRAP that is released these days. Amazing dynamics in the songs/mix, huge sounds. I *knew that* but the memories had slightly faded after so many years without hearing it again.

Hehehhe...since I HAD heard it so many times in the past, I was also anticipating each "intercut" edit as well....but that is part of the magic. I was trying to get some stuff done at my workbench, but I kept paying more attention to the album than my work. And, when the title song played, I was saddened as I was every time before...my fave album was coming to an end.

Mr. Scott, that is one of the the absolute best rock albums ever recorded.. and the Beatles can take second place. Stunning beyond belief.

Bri
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Yes, I've been into it again recently too. It really does show how far AWAY from great sounds things have gotten, even with all these amazing pre's and outboard and mics and so on.

Of course, that album took some time and a budget, but the efforts of the musicians and Ken really show through. It could easily NOT have sounded so good - yet the last details were attended to and it scares you with the dynamics and range of sounds. I love the contrasts between bone dry and verby things there.

Get out a good copy of the "Rocket Man" track and you'll hear another similar to "Crime"...
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear
I've nothing much to say that has not been said already except,

Ken, I take my hat off to you. Well done!

Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Mr. Scott, that is one of the the absolute best rock albums ever recorded.. and the Beatles can take second place. Stunning beyond belief.
I will second that opinion. That album has seen more play on my turntable than anything else... incredible! The cd version I have is a true disaster.

Number 2 on the playlist is Al Stewarts "Year of the Cat"

As far as just listening to good music on vinyl, Breakfast in America, "Madman Across the Water" which is just a masterpiece as far as writing goes. Gerry Rafferty "City to City", ELP Trilogy, Anything David Gates are all on my vinyl "All Star" list.
Old 29th July 2005
Motown legend

Today it's really easy to make something not suck.

Back then fixes were really expensive which made things a lot more polarized. It either really sucked big-time to the point of embarrassment or music was frequently really great. Recording budgets were also LOTS higher while time was lots more limited.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

This question is for Mr. Scott....

There have been comments about "huge budget and plenty of time"....

How long did you and the "tramps" spend recording/mixing that album????

The early 1970's weren't exactly the times of huge budgets from record labels!

Bri
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Bump...in the hopes that Mr. Scott will be aware the thread has come alive again!

Bri
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Scott
Their live engineer was a guy named Russel Pope if I remember correctly. He most definitely did a good job of matching the studio sound.

With regard to Hunky Dory, in my personal opinion "Life On Mars" says it all. Well except for maybe "Andy Warhole take one". "It's Warhull" if you get my drift.

And finally "Young And Rich" was a gas. No restraints. No having to keep within the band's image. Anything went. I loved it.

Cheers,

Ken
Do you know Brad Aaron? Or did he engineer under Jeff Glixman?
Old 28th March 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Supertramp's ' the Logical Song' is a fantastic sounding and produced song by Kent Scott. The production is bang on 100%

Wiggy

"The Logical Song" from Breakfast In America was produced (along with the band) and engineered by Pete Henderson..pretty sure he mixed the album as well.........Ken Scott was involved with earlier Supertramp recordings..
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Today it's really easy to make something not suck.

Back then fixes were really expensive which made things a lot more polarized. It either really sucked big-time to the point of embarrassment or music was frequently really great. Recording budgets were also LOTS higher while time was lots more limited.
Funny how making stuff not suck makes it suck so much more.
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Funny how making stuff not suck makes it suck so much more.
Nice one Max!
Old 29th March 2006
Gear Nut

Since this thread has recently been revived, I'll point out that there's a good interview with Ken Scott in the most recent issue of TapeOp magazine (plus a great photo of him with some really choice keyboards!)
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah.....My goodness....even Ken Scott's work on Dada's Puzzle was so good. Love the sounds. Great thread!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search