The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ken Scott!
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

OK my bad on the logical song tip... but fuken big ass props to Pete Henderson for that one.. cos its a true piece of genius. and to top it off SOS (sound on Sound) had a full interview with Pete about the making of that album in the latest issue. The mixing console was apparently some weird ass API hybrid custom mixer job and i saw it on Ebay a few years ago and they mentioned that 'Breakfast in America' was amongst the many hit albums that were mixed on it.

But back ont he topic... ken Scott is a genius fullstop. period ...get lost im not listening if people argue otherwise!

Wasn't he also involved in 'transformer' by Lou Reed? in deeedy do... what a resume/CV!

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear
I could be wrong but wasn't Breakfast In America mixed on the custom desk at Crystal Sound?

Last i heard, a few years back, Roy Bittan had that desk (in pieces)
Old 25th June 2005
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Nice read Max. Thanks. thumbsup
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

yeah that custom crystal mixer looked insane... i think i read yrs ago that its main gain blocks were API 2520's of soemthing like that. Other way its proff that on the album both the mixer and engineer made it work to everyones advantage.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th June 2005
Here for the gear

Hi there,

Thanks so much for all the compliments. All I can say is I was lucky/blessed enough to have the best training in the world, at EMI Studios, from the best teachers. People like Norman Smith, Malcolm Addey, Peter Bown and Stuart Eltham. They're the ones who set the standard and yet most people have never heard of them.

It also doesn't hurt to work with some of the greatest talents. In many respects they often make an engineer/producer's work easier. They certainly did mine.

By the way, the first America album was co-produced by Ian Samwell and Jeff Dexter, not George Martin.

And last but not least, I am now back enjoying music again. Nothing interested me for some time but am now itching to get back in the studio with the right project.

Once again. THANKS.

Ken Scott
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Jules, if I say the words GUEST MODERATOR really loudly you will know what to do, right..??
Old 29th June 2005
Harmless Wacko

Hello Ken,

Yer God.

Thanks for "Young and Rich", it is beyond brilliant.

OK. I'm done.

Best regards,

SM
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Didn't Ken have a hand in Supertramp's live FOH sound as well?

Tramp's live show (back around Crisis tour) ....had brilliant sound as I recall ... just unreal !!

js.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

thank you mr. scott

would you write a post - anything - randomly - about
"Hunky Dory" ?

thanks

- jack
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Scott

And last but not least, I am now back enjoying music again. Nothing interested me for some time but am now itching to get back in the studio with the right project.

Once again. THANKS.

Ken Scott
Ken, Happy The Man is back together and could have really used you on "The Muse Awakens". Maybe a reunion is in order.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

How extremely cool for Mr. Scott to stop by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth

In later vinyl, I had Mobile Fidelity half-speed reissues of Dark Side, Criime, and Aja. I spun off carefully recorded copies of them to 1/4" 2 track at 15 IPS when the disks were pristine and used the tapes as a secondary reference when working with a new monitoring or reinforcement system.

Bri
Something I've oft. wondered about half-speed mastering; at half-speed, 200Hz becomes 100Hz, 100Hz becoms 50Hz, and so on...

Is there any problem with this? Any loss? I would assume things don't behave the same way at half-speed, especially in the low end.

I used to have the Mobile Fidelity version; now I just have the standard vinyl version. Sounds spectacular!
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Nut

For me, Ken's production on 'Young & Rich' is the best, particularly the drum sounds.
Unfortunately, the CD I have doesn't do it justice....anyone know if it's been remastered?
I consider that mid-70's era to be the high point of civilization....
with albums like Zappa's 'One Size Fits All' , 'Young & Rich' etc.

I bought the DVD-Audio of 'Spectrum', and it's amazingly awesome....couldn't believe the clarity & spaciousness...
I just hope they do a DVD-A of 'Young & Rich'...that would be lush

Thanks, Ken...for all those great tracks....made my hi-fi showroom years very enjoyable indeed...heh
Old 30th June 2005
Here for the gear

'Tramp live

Their live engineer was a guy named Russel Pope if I remember correctly. He most definitely did a good job of matching the studio sound.

With regard to Hunky Dory, in my personal opinion "Life On Mars" says it all. Well except for maybe "Andy Warhole take one". "It's Warhull" if you get my drift.

And finally "Young And Rich" was a gas. No restraints. No having to keep within the band's image. Anything went. I loved it.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I don't ever recall reading much about the "Crime of the Century" recording sessions. Since that still is one of my all-time favorite albums, perhaps Mr. Scott can tell us some behind the scenes info...with a gearslutz slant, of course!

I'm interested in what desk, recorders (any noise reduction?), outboards, etc. The dynamic range on many of the songs is absolutely mind-boggling, especially compared to other albums from that same era. I'm also interested in the editing processes within any given song, which I assume were done on the mixdown master tape.

Thanks!

Bri
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Scott

With regard to Hunky Dory, in my personal opinion "Life On Mars" says it all. Well except for maybe "Andy Warhole take one". "It's Warhull" if you get my drift.
"Life on Mars" really gets me. And "Quicksand". I think the production is quite elegant, and certainly doesn't call attention to itself. 'Hunky Dory' is one of the records I put on to inspire me to work on my own material. Never fails to get me going.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Hello Ken
Just like to say that if it wasnt for my older brother and sister repeatedly playing Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust to me at the impressionable age of 5 or 6, I doubt that I would have taken the musician/producer path that I have been on for nearly 25 years. (There was also quite a lot of Roxy Music and TRex in the mix). They remain two of my all time favourite albums both in term of sound and music and are still a big influence on the music I am currently making. I have now passed them on to my 3 year old twin boys who also love them (along with the White Stripes!).
So a huge big thanks and respect to you Ken and also Mr Bowie!
x
Dean
Old 30th June 2005
Super Moderator

Ken Scott,

You are one of my favorite recording engineer / producers of all time.
I was buying records based on the fact that you were the engineer.

Man, you recorded, engineered, mixed and/or produced all sorts of music styles...

Procol Harum
David Bowie
George Harrison
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Elton John
Lou Reed
Stanley Clarke
Jan Hammer Group
Jerry Goodman
The Tubes
The Dixie Dregs
Devo
Frank Zappa
The Jeff Beck Group
Missing Persons
Tangerine Dream
Level 42
Supertramp and
Al Kooper, to name a few...

What a wonderful discography! It's great to see you here on Gearslutz.com.
I hope we'll see you around the GS forums again and again...

All the best to you and yours.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru

Ken Scott,

It's geat to have you here! I think Ziggy Stardust might have been the first record I bought with my own money as a kid.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

What a privilege it is to have people like you Mr Scott, drop by this forum and add your voice to the mix. Your accomplishments are inspirational, they encourage me to continue pressing in. I hope you find the right project to get jazzed about and I do hope you stick around for a bit!
Old 3rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Mr Roth,

As requested.

Crime Of The Century. Started at Trident, Trident A Range, dolby's, no idea which type. early I know that, can't remember tape machine for any of the project other than either 3M or Studer. Moved to Ramport Studios, Helios desk and final overdubs and mixing at Scorpio Studio (Sound ?), Cadac board and amazing Cadac monitors.

Edits were anywhere deemed necessary. As an example, Bloody Well Right.
Band hit, fade band down, solo electric piano.
EDIT. Band hit, fade band down, solo electric piano.
EDIT. Band hit, fade band down, solo electric piano.
And so on and so forth.

Basically however long the EQ and so forth stayed the same. If a major change was needed, EDIT, EDIT, EDIT.

With regard to outboard gear it finished up being whatever was around. EMT plate, Cooper Time Cube, I think that's what it was called, 1176's, LA3's and on and on.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions.

Just finished watching Live8. MTV and Philidelphia sucked. Thank God for the Brits.

Ken Scott
Old 3rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Ken, thanks for the info! As you probably have surmised from my other posts in this thread, "Crime" is one of my all-time favorite albums. I was a mere "pup" when it was released in 1974, and I played it a few trillion times in an effort to analyze every nuance in the recording and production.

An older, wiser friend in the business when I was the "pup" mentioned the whole concept of what he called "inter-cutting" on the mixdown master. On a few occasions, in the pre-automation days, I'd do two mix passes. One was with the desk set for levels, EQ, sends, etc for the verses, the second with a different setup for the choruses. A few razor blade slices..and voila! a decent song mix with few compromises. Of course, that was Old Hat to producers such as yourself, but I impressed myself at the time .... GRIN!

I wonder how much of that type of editing is done anymore??

Again, we are so pleased to have you here to provide insider commentary!

BTW, in the online interview, I don't recall you making mention of digital editing, DAWs, etc. Are you still working primarily in the analog domain?

Bri
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I like the "multiple pass, edit the 2tk" method a lot. Nowadays, I guess a lotta guys tweak their automation to snap between 2 different sections and then you can copy/paste that auto info to different verse/choruses as needed.

Each has their place, I suppose, but every time I dig into tweaky automation, I end up just wanting to do 2 chunks and edit...and it usually takes longer to futz with the auto...
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

As I was listening to 'Crime of the Century' yesterday I was reminded of what dynamic range really is! Just huge! When the band comes in on 'Hide In Your Shell'....wow!
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Max, that's one reason why I used "Crime" to do listening evaluations of an unfamilar set of studio or FOH speakers!

Which reminds me...amazingly enough, I can't find my CD copy of "Crime" anywhere! I think someone pilfered it <g>. My turntable needs a new stylus so I can't currently play back my 1/2 speed vinyl reissue.

What CD remaster of "Crime" is the current best choice? I know a lot of old album reissues have been butcher jobs. Should I look for an European reissue?

Bri
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Actually, I'm listening to the vinyl. The standard record-store release.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Ken-
I am a HUGE fan.
I reluctantly have a couple questions.
What is the fake doubling you used on the chorus of 'Perfect Day"?
Eventide? Was Eventide even around at that time?
I once had an MXR flanger\doubler that sounded quite similar.

Transformer's vocal sound in general is so great.
Was it a simple 87 into the desk?
Is the reverb a plate?
What were your drum recording techniques during the 70-73 era?
Those sounds have an instantly identifiable sound to them.

Am I wrong in remembering you recording some of the "White Album"?
Must be some amazing stories there.

Good to see you here.
Old 4th July 2005
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Actually, I'm listening to the vinyl. The standard record-store release.
Last time I did THAT, I wanted to cry...
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Last time I did THAT, I wanted to cry...

Absolutely nothing bad sounding about the vinyl copy I'm listening to. New Dynavector MC cartridge is making a heck of a diff. too!

Do you prefer the CD?

Old 5th July 2005
Gear Addict

I bet he means the CD was SO inferior - he wanted to cry. As is the case with many CDs (but not all)...

Some personal favorites:

Suffragette City
Bloody Well Right
A Salty Dog (one of my favorite mixtures of a song and a recording)
Walk on the Wild Side
Rocket Man
Helter Skelter
Mental Hopscotch
Quadrant 4
(certainly leaving out too many to be fair...)

I know Ken's been working on his book for some time. That will be of interest to many here...!?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search