The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finishing drum room paneling
Old 31st March 2003
Gear Addict

Finishing drum room paneling

Hey, I'm re-doing my drum tracking area with pine 1x6 TnG paneling and wanted to know how I should finish it. Oil or poly? I was thinking that painting it with poly (plastic) might be less than optimal and maybe a nice oil would be better. The natural pine looks and smells great but I'm guesssing I should protect it with some sort of finish or oil. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

Either one works. Poly will wear better and will also make the room a bit brighter in tone once it hardens.
Old 31st March 2003
Gear Addict

Thanks Jay, that's what I was thinking too. The area I'm working in has low ceilings so "bright" isn't a quality I'm looking to increase... I'll probably use oil.

The wall I finished was drywall and had been covered with absorbers (Markertek foam). I'm really pleased by the sound of the wood and want to retain as much of what I'm hearing in the room now as I can. I've also built some absorber panels for the adjacent wall... 1x6 frames w/r13 wrapped in light fabric.

Next I'm going to re-do the ceiling, probably some checkerboard layout of foam panels. If I had enough ceiling height I'd add diffusion but that can't happen here (7' ceilings!).

I know this topic has been done to death but if anyone has any comments or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Addict

I really don't think either will make much of a sound quality difference. Just as long as you don't paint it black, as that will make your drums have a dark sound. For real man. . . it really doesn't matter. Poly is soooo much easier. It takes many less coats to protect the wood.

Beez
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Addict

Too late! The Tung Oil is already on!

I like the "dark drum' sound concept though... maybe this will be a new audiophile way to warm up digital?
Old 3rd April 2003
I was daydreaming that I could put those RPG "sykyscraper shapes" above where the drums might go in my small new live area (if & when I get it).

The drummer sits down right? So what if you bang your head standing in that area!

Anyone hink they will help the drumsound?

Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

Jules, Aren't there solutions that don't impact on your headroom as much as the rpg and still work? The rpg is a 7" solution right?... aren't quadratic diffusors 5" deep? Because space is a premium here, I diffuse in a more shallow way than the rpg... Damn... You're the frickin' LIBRARY... can't you find a way to hang diffusing bookshelves from the ceiling? (let me know if you figure it out!)
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

And then where do you hang the overheads...
Old 5th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Beezoboy
it really doesn't matter. Poly is soooo much easier. It takes many less coats to protect the wood.
But is oh so much harder to apply and not have it goop and run all over the place. You also need to sand between coats for the best finish which creates a hell of a mess. Oil is much faster and easier IMHO.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear