The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which preamp to add? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 8th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Which preamp to add?

Hi All,

Currently, I have a Great River ME1-NV. I also have an Apogee Duet with two decent clean pres and a mackie 1202 VLZ. The GR is my only high end pre and I was wondering what I should add to my collection. I'd like a 2nd pre for dual guitar amp miking and stereo acoustic. I mainly record myself, and all the drums are ITB.

I should also note that the Duet pres don't allow me to add outboard compression, as they go straight into the computer.

Here are the options I'm entertaining:
1. Buy another GR. The most expensive option. This would give me stereo of the same pre, but I don't necessarily need that. My acoustic mics are not matching anyway.
2. But a UA 610 solo to add some versatility
3. Sell the GR and buy a used Pacifica

Thanks for your feedback!
Tom
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW View Post
Hi All,

Currently, I have a Great River ME1-NV. I also have an Apogee Duet with two decent clean pres and a mackie 1202 VLZ. The GR is my only high end pre and I was wondering what I should add to my collection. I'd like a 2nd pre for dual guitar amp miking and stereo acoustic. I mainly record myself, and all the drums are ITB.

I should also note that the Duet pres don't allow me to add outboard compression, as they go straight into the computer.

Here are the options I'm entertaining:
1. Buy another GR. The most expensive option. This would give me stereo of the same pre, but I don't necessarily need that. My acoustic mics are not matching anyway.
2. But a UA 610 solo to add some versatility
3. Sell the GR and buy a used Pacifica

Thanks for your feedback!
Tom
Option 2 i believe...

Maybe think about buying a 500 series rack and then giving into the disease.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Hard to argue with the Pacifica option...
Old 9th January 2009
Jai guru deva om

I would grab an A Designs MP2A actually, it would give you a wildly different flavor from the (great, just other flavor) pres you have.

War
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Addict

I think about this all the time.
I'd avoid 610 as too fat and fuzzy.
I'd add either API for another classic flavor, or something like a pendulum MDP-1 which excels at acoustic stuff. It is not colored, but it is not sterile. It is simply wonderful.
I own MDP and GR ME.
So ot depends where you come down. I'll get an API next.
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Maniac

I think in order to get another high end flavour, you'll have to spend quite a bit, like say the daking pre/eq or getting an API with either a 2 slot power supply or lunchbox is going to be more than what you paid for the GR. I apologize to all gearsluts for recommending something i haven't personally used but It seems the Pacifica is the best option that you listed, especially if money is a factor. Theres two other options I would consider as well, the vintech 273 with a bit of EQ and the chandler TG2 which are both neve type pres. 1 of those 3 will probably be my next pre purchase as well.
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I would grab an A Designs MP2A actually, it would give you a wildly different flavor from the (great, just other flavor) pres you have.

War
You have good taste, War, but that's about $1500 over my budget.

Maybe a daking pre/eq or pre one. ...Or an RNP (?)
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

your next pre should be....

If you're looking at the RNP, might as well go the Black Lion Audio Auteur. It is a high end pre with cheap cosmetics and a few less features. Only has 1/4" outs and no line in's, DI or EQ. In any case, I almost never track w/ EQ since it's something I tend to only trust once inside the box before hitting summing, so if you're like me, the preamp will be great. I'm personally saving up for either a 1272 or a 273 by Vintech. I'm can get either at an awesome deal, so I just need to decide which one I want or which one will be better for me alongside everything else I have. I'm leaning more towards the 1272...no external PSU, thicker sounding than the focusrite ISA stuff which the 273 can be similar to....I think it's what i'm gonna do.
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
If you're looking at the RNP, might as well go the Black Lion Audio Auteur. It is a high end pre with cheap cosmetics and a few less features. Only has 1/4" outs and no line in's, DI or EQ.
Never heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search