All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Radiohead: Hail to the....opinions?
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
everything about the CD is awesome.

my 2c

my opinion too!.. and it's great to see a concept album nowadays... it's actually a full piece.. divided into songs.... completely awesome stuff...

in the past few years it's been one of my favorites along with fiona apple's "when the pawn" , tricky's "blowback" and king crimson's "power to believe"... very inspiring stuff....
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1073 View Post
Over the years Radiohead have really grown on me.

I met them in 1993 when a band I was playing with opened for them and belly. Though they were nice guys, I remember thinking their schtick (eg thom yorke's hairdo) was well over the top, their material kind of derivitive & ridiculous.
That's because in 1993, they were derivative and ridiculous. They were pretty young then and ended up becoming a great band. I strongly feel that without "Creep" that probably would have never happened (they would have definitely been dropped from the label at least).
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmeat View Post
That's because in 1993, they were derivative and ridiculous. They were pretty young then and ended up becoming a great band. I strongly feel that without "Creep" that probably would have never happened (they would have definitely been dropped from the label at least).
i think it is really refreshing to see a band actually improve and mature with age. and if you don't think they have matured and simply got self indulgent and artsy (not my opinion at all) at least they do not do the same thing on every record. far from it.

unfortunately the new tunes i have heard on live tapes (that will be on the next album) have been less than amazing. i hope i am wrong tho.
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I dig it.

The 'sound' of it, seperate from the music itself, is simply jaw dropping.. but then again so is OK Computer, but for different reasons.

The disc itself does lose a bit of steam (I thought that Punchup and everything after it was a bit of filler).. but this band does what it does extremely well.

'The Eraser' on the other hand.....tutt tutt

Hopefully this sort of thing stays a side-project
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryFive View Post
This might piss some very hip young dudes off, but here it goes.
Radiohead is absolute ******* rubbish!
Yes, it is.
I consider myself to be highly open to many forms of music. I have far more appreciation for disco tracks cut in the mid/late '70s because at least that music offers some genuine emotion, imagination, elegance, and tasteful precise playing. And I don't like disco.

What really pisses me off about radiohead is the contrived nature in all of the songs. This is like the alternative - the creative go-to band for dummies. As if the whole "tortured" artist whinny facade isn't bad enough I get extremely bland mediocre playing to put up with....and I'm not talking Nick Mason/Roger Waters bland, I'm talking bland. When I think of original and creative I think of the Egg album "Civil Surface" from 1974. The last 4 Radiohead records are absolutely nothing.

I've listened to a lot of radiohead. And a lot of times. Not just spouting out crap here to piss people off.

What???? ok,ok... I can understand that for some reasons you dont like them, it´s your opinion... and this things are really subjective...it´s a matter of tastes, preferences/background or simply you dont get it... I´m ok with that, but the way you wrote it´s like... you are smarter than everybody else...
One thing is saying that you dont like...and thats it, another completely diferent thing is to write comments like "The last 4 Radiohead records are absolutely nothing." or "Radiohead is absolute ******* rubbish!"... If your statment had somekind of serious critical contents i could take you seriously... but it´s completely hollow.!!!

Even if you dont like, If you cannot understand the major importance of a band like radiohead to the music scene... then, probably it´s your fault!!!

respect... it´s all i´m saying, (not trying to make a war)
Old 11th January 2007
Here for the gear

I don't understand the remarks about Phil Selway's sloppish drumming. He performs well live. I don't know much about drums, so if someone can explain that further for me, that would be great.

Is there anymore available information concerning the recording habits/equipment of the band? I'd love to learn about it. Because my avatar doesn't say anything about me or anything...

Old 11th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscralatchtical View Post
I don't understand the remarks about Phil Selway's sloppish drumming. He performs well live. I don't know much about drums, so if someone can explain that further for me, that would be great.

Is there anymore available information concerning the recording habits/equipment of the band? I'd love to learn about it. Because my avatar doesn't say anything about me or anything...

I am a drummer and dont think Selway is sloppish at all, but i believe i can understand why someone wrote that... i think it refers to his playing style regarding to dynamics and interpretation, he is not the tight guy or hard hiter, instead he is a really dynamic drummer, almost jazzy. And his rythm patterns aren´t "sequencial", in other words: he is a very different kind of rock drummer.
Love his work.

I believe he plays with premier drums and zildjian cymbals since a long time.
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio freak View Post
I am a drummer and dont think Selway is sloppish at all, but i believe i can understand why someone wrote that... i think it refers to his playing style regarding to dynamics and interpretation, he is not the tight guy or hard hiter, instead he is a really dynamic drummer, almost jazzy. And his rythm patterns aren´t "sequencial", in other words: he is a very different kind of rock drummer.
Love his work.

I believe he plays with premier drums and zildjian cymbals since a long time.
+1

His parts work perfect for this band, and that is whats important.

I think that we're in a movement of music where drums are so quantized / triggered / limited to be steady and lifeless, that we pick up on it instantly as listeners when anything different is presented... and that is a shame.

Same thing with Thoms vocals. They tend to waver in and out of key (especially) , but that is a part of what gives this band the character they have.. and it works.... autotuning him to perfection would just sterilize the whole thing.
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atropos View Post
I dig it.

The 'sound' of it, seperate from the music itself, is simply jaw dropping.. but then again so is OK Computer, but for different reasons.

The disc itself does lose a bit of steam (I thought that Punchup and everything after it was a bit of filler).. but this band does what it does extremely well.

'The Eraser' on the other hand.....tutt tutt

Hopefully this sort of thing stays a side-project
i thought "scatterbrain" was beautiful tho. great chord progression, melody, etc.

and yes, the sound quality of the album is great even on the less than fantasic songs. it is a LITTLE overcompressed and limited but the basic sound is huge and rich.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I really like HTTT. It's probably my third favorite album of theirs. I'm partial to Kid A. There has never been anything like it. There never will be anything like it.

HTTT is great.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

I really think the record sounds amazing and is overall great. I enjoy kid a and amnesiac sometimes I think they lack in. sort of.. a human aspect of music, then again Ive never been much for electronic stuff. I personally really look up to them as a artists. Whenever I listen to radiohead I feel like I have two options... and thats listen to more radiohead or listen to nothing, because what do you listen to.. after radiohead.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, it is.
I consider myself to be highly open to many forms of music. I have far more appreciation for disco tracks cut in the mid/late '70s because at least that music offers some genuine emotion, imagination, elegance, and tasteful precise playing. And I don't like disco.

What really pisses me off about radiohead is the contrived nature in all of the songs. This is like the alternative - the creative go-to band for dummies. As if the whole "tortured" artist whinny facade isn't bad enough I get extremely bland mediocre playing to put up with....and I'm not talking Nick Mason/Roger Waters bland, I'm talking bland. When I think of original and creative I think of the Egg album "Civil Surface" from 1974. The last 4 Radiohead records are absolutely nothing.

I've listened to a lot of radiohead. And a lot of times. Not just spouting out crap here to piss people off.
I didn't like them and I kinda felt this way when they first came out. "Creep" has the tortured artist thing. But they have come a long way since then. I like Ok Computer alot, but don't worship it as an all time classic as much as many do. At least not to the level of Dark Side of Moon or something like that(though sounds like you don't like them much either). But, they do interesting and creative things in their songwriting, recording and performance. Now, if you're beyond "rock and roll" as a creative genre and nothing with guitars that aren't bowed, prepared, etc. and on a much higher level of experimentalism for you to consider something creative, then well, they certainly aren't for you, and neither are most bands that are well-known today.

If you get a chance though, see them live. I was given tickets and was blown away. Maybe I didn't expect much, but their energy, talent, and sheer power as a band playing together blew me away. It was the first time that I'd felt the energy between the band and the audience palpable in a very long time.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Head

obv greatest band on the planet currently.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Amazing how much this band has matured over the years. I listen to Pablo Honey a bit, and it's light, fun and derivative, but still a fine listen. Then you start getting into their deeper stuff and start to wonder how they could have grown so much and taken it to such a higher level. It's like a whole different band. Personally I think HTTT is a great album, tons of emotional impact. They totally own it, it's totally real. It's the antithesis to all the crap albums and Clear Channel/RollingStone/Consolidated Recod Company drivel that we so often complain about. My belief is they are currently the kings of the hill for mainstream rock the torch having been passed from The Police to U2 to Radiohead. I cannot not fail to mention that their live show is incredible!!!
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

While I appreciate the more "experimental" quality of their later recordings, as a songwriter I have to say that I definitely find their more recent stuff less listenable.

For me, "The Bends" is their best album (one of the top five of all time, I'd say), followed closely by "OK Computer". There is some stuff on the latter that is beginning to go a bit overboard ("Paranoid Android", anyone?), but there is some real brilliance there as well. After that, though, it becomes much more difficult to listen to. Very interesting, creative stuff, and the guy who suggested that it was emotionless clearly isn't paying much attention. But I think that, with time, they have lost the balance between experimental, cutting edge sound and fabulous songwriting/vocal work that was really what made them special.

Think of another band that has consistently reinvented its sound, breaking new ground on at least every other record: U2. Bono and co. have managed to keep that balance between innovation and artistry without going off the deep end. Radiohead, in my opinion has not. I like "The Bends" as much as "The Joshua Tree". But U2 also has "War", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Achtung Baby", "All that You Can't Leave Behind", and "How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb". All are totally different, all excellent as well, and they all still manage to keep that essential balance. Radiohead instead seems to be headed the way of 20th century classical music. I suppose it's what you'd get if you let U2's direction be entirely determined by Bono, without the steadying, down-to-earth influence of Edge, Larry, and Adam. Think of Lennon unleashed from McCartney...on crack. Yeah, I liked some of what John did after the break-up, but it was missing that creative balance between craziness and listenability that made the Beatles so amazing. Same thing with Radiohead, only the band's still together and there's no Yoko Ono.

That said, I still listen to all of their stuff, and to "The Bends" often. And I have seen Radiohead live on a couple of tours. Both times they absolutely blew the roof off of the place! Fantasic live act -- all the sounds are there, Johnny is amazing, Thom is totally pouring his heart out on stage. And they are REALLY tight. One great thing about seeing bands like this live -- they still play their earlier stuff, but with subtle influences from their newer work. Presto! The balance is back, at least for that set!
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I think OK Computer is near perfection in many ways.
Paranoid Android is one of my favorites on the album (as opposed to the previous poster's thoughts on that song).
It is one of those albums that I save for special occasions. I won't listen to it too casually because I feel like I don't want to spoil it by being overly familiar with it.
I hadn't listened to it for a while, but listened to it this past weekend. My other favorites are No Surprises and Lucky. Of course, the first song.
I really like KidA and the Bends too.
I really have to see them live.
Old 22nd February 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscralatchtical View Post

I think he's a great drummer. He plays nice, tasty beats and lays it down very well for what the song calls for.

I never understood the remarks about Ringo either.

I am still enjoying HTTT on a very regular basis. I might be the odd guy in the bunch by saying I actually can't stand their first album, but on the other hand I absolutely love everything else they have put out. I hope there is a new one coming out sometime soon.
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Addict

OK Computer. One of my favorite albums ever! Took me down a road I had not been down before and that is how I evaluate truly stunning albums. Masterpiece! The others mentioned are real, real good - OK Computer stands by itself as their finest work to date IMHO. They peeked with that album. Can they get there again? Perhaps and if they don't, that's cool. They did it with that one. Love Radiohead.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryFive View Post
Yes, it is.

I can't WAIT to hear your records. They must be the bomb.
Old 22nd February 2007
Here for the gear

Cherry, I think you're falling into the trap where people will let a band's fanbase dictate the goodness/badness of said band. And I can see where you are coming from when you say they are the "go-to" band for lots of creative-wannabes.

However, to say that a band that can put out such songs from Paranoid Android to National Anthem to Ripcord to Idioteque is void of genuine imagination is absolutely trash. Period.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search