The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drums on Joss Stone - "mind, body & soul"
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Drums on Joss Stone - "mind, body & soul"

hi everbody,
just rediscovered this really nice recording...beautiful voice, that girl has.

BUT, where the hell are that drums coming from ???
they´re so thick,punchy,soulful and REALLY laid back....
I think ?uestlove ("the roots´" drummer) played on the record....and actually the sound differs through all song pretty much (some songs also seem heavily edited/quantized or even programmed, while others have so much live-one take approach)

anyone can share some info´s on the recording ???
I guess first point is you need a really pro-drumtech tuning/dampening your set ?
drumset, mics, pre´s, comp´s ??
mixing...??

if not, are there some pro´s out there, who know the record and recommend starting points for such a drumsound.....besides a f**king awesome drummer like ?uestlove ...

I really love this place and appreciate all that infos & insights you all are offering...
cheers tom
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

hate to sound like a chump....but just get your ass into the studio with a drummer and experiement, you seem to answer your own questions anyways. Get to it, cause the time you'll spend smurfing around on the internet, will be time away from the studio. My advice is to experiment, that's how every one else learns, yes it's how most people learned even before all this audio message board hoopla!!!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

A large part of that sound is Avatar studio A, you could duplicate the exact setup and drumset and still not get that sound.

Then the drums were run into Avatar's custom Neve.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
A large part of that sound is Avatar studio A, you could duplicate the exact setup and drumset and still not get that sound.

Then the drums were run into Avatar's custom Neve.
so true...or you could just go work there like I did, for free, then get hired, learn how every aspect works(or doesn't) of the studio business, then figure it out and become the most bad ass engineer in town, or have fun trying!!!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude
hi everbody,
just rediscovered this really nice recording...beautiful voice, that girl has.

BUT, where the hell are that drums coming from ???
they´re so thick,punchy,soulful and REALLY laid back....
I think ?uestlove ("the roots´" drummer) played on the record....and actually the sound differs through all song pretty much (some songs also seem heavily edited/quantized or even programmed, while others have so much live-one take approach)
tomdarude;

friend who works w. lamont dozier told me the drums on the record were played mainly by cindy blackman

lamont and his son wrote and produced most of the tracks on the record...

(lamont's son dates joss stone... "luv at first site" was how it was described... some cats have all the luck!!)
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
so true...or you could just go work there like I did, for free, then get hired, learn how every aspect works(or doesn't) of the studio business, then figure it out and become the most bad ass engineer in town, or have fun trying!!!
You still work there?
Old 17th June 2005
Forget Avatar!

I submit that you could put ?est in any moderately equipped basement studio and get similar sounds. If you really want to get inside this modern day genius' head check out his modern drummer interview and buy some more of his work. May I recommend D'Angelo's voodoo, Musiq's latest, and some of the roots stuff.
Old 17th June 2005
the drummer is Cindy Blackmon. The cuts I've heard where real 70's sounding, dry
and in your face.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Produced by the legend Betty Wright... the "Cleanup Woman" herself!
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

oh, cindy blackman !! damn yeah she´s got a lot of that laid back soul vibe, too.
was so nice to see her playing with lenny kravitz.
(she was playing with high heels !!)

thanx a lot, all of you ...keep it comin up
I know we have to experiment,actually I don´t have a project that needs that sound right now....it was more like I heard the record and was trying to figure out where I would start to achieve this....

guess it´s def. alot about a good live room,good drummer & set....how about miking
guess this would be the perfect opportunity to try out some of the 3-4 mike techniques.. like OHs+mono-room+kick (earthworks any good??) and then
api lunchbox (3pre+3comp) for OH & kick and the wunder peq1 on the room mic ??

it´s been years since doing drum-recording my self (used to do a lot electronic stuff in the past) so I´m just lurking around for starting points and ideas to try....

your input is really appreciated...thanx tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search