The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The famous Nickelback dual song mix
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Was it John Lennon or Paul McCartney who was quoted as saying "let's write ourselves a swimming pool"?

Formulas abound in the entertainment business and in life.
Even here.
"to get "that" sound, you must use a Newman mic into a Meve 1078 and sum the whole thing using a Phallic box..."
And then when someone strays away and says " I kinda LIKE the compressor in the Provelone 727 DT" all hell breaks loose in here.

Makes me Wunder...
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

if you do some searching on the internet you can find two other MP3's of similar sonic matchups... including:

1) Coldplay and Sum 41 playing at the same time

2) Linkin Park and Linkin Park

And I personally think that whoever first did the Nickelback thing should get a gold star.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

This thread is covered in my book.

Nickelback cashed in two or three times on one song. God Bless them if they can do it 10 more times. They are a thing of the moment... and the moment was a couple years ago. I will be very surprised if they can "pull-the-wool" one more time.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

I still say that "Silver Side Up" had some good guitar tones and lots of other slutty tricks by RS.
Old 17th June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Being successful in the music biz is awesome!!! But I don't think being successful automatically makes you a good band.
Old 17th June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx
I don't think being successful automatically makes you a good band.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
this is to funny.

are you implying that because it's massively accepted it automatically sucks ?
No, not at all. I probably didn't make my intention very clear. While mass appeal and artistic integrity are often mutually exclusive, I'd be ******** to claim that every popular act is devoid of art.

I personally don't like that certain forms of metal and punk have been turned into "POP". It's not the # of sales that bother me, it's the production. Pop production on metal acts bugs the hell out of me. THat's it. I personally feel it's ruining a certain style of music. I think that's regretable. Doesn't mean I'm right, just my strongly held opinion.

Take Tool or System of a Down. You could argue that the modern production is taking away from the visceral power of "metal. Whatever.. I can handle it. If either of these bands were produced in the "pop" style that so many of their nu-metal contemporaries are I would be done with the genre completely.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

I remember doing some shows with Nickelback when they were on the way up. I think we crossed paths with them somewhere around Kansas. They were, y'know, pretty average. Good work ethic, though. Really good work ethic. Can't fault 'em for success. As for the music thing, I guess you have a sense of it or you don't. There was another band on the bill called 8stops7 who seemed really cool.

OTOH, AC/DC has been releasing the same couple of songs for decades. They're one super-badass one-trick-pony.
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
Sorry. I should have been more clear. They suck, AND they're formulaic. They don't suck merely because they are formulaic. I don't begrudge their success. They're making a living playing music. I don't begrudge cover bands either. They're also making a living playing music.

I don't respect them. That's all. They didn't ask for my respect, and clearly my respect isn't a prerequsite to success.

I guess I have a problem with "pop" metal and punk because they were never meant to be mass consumed as "pop"

I think Nickelback represents the most derivitave form of rock/metal, that's why I don't like them. To each his own though eh? My favorite musician is Mike Patton and he's made me buy albums of him recording himself making breakfast with a 4track. Who's the idiot now?

"Sorry. I should have been more clear. They suck, AND they're formulaic." ...That was actually preaty funny. I don't agree, but funny.

But I am with you 100% on the Mike Patton thing.

As far as the pop production comment goes, if nickelback was produced in a more Indipendant/Origional fashion would you then think they were talented?
Old 18th June 2005
Here for the gear

sure ac/dc are formulaic, as is fogerty and tons of other artists out there. the difference is they invented their own formula, which sounds exactly like them and no one else before them, whereas nickelback completely derived theirs from a couple very well known bands who shall remain nameless...

or so i say!
Old 18th June 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Well if it's not the recylced, rectified cockrock hooks that turn you on, it MUST be the carefully crafted misogynist lyrics?

What's not to love?

Get a life and start defending something that's defensible fuuck
Old 18th June 2005
Captain

I've just finished mixing 3 songs for the new Nickelback record and the songs are ..to me... great.and one thing I also have to say that they were some of the best recorded songs I've had to mix..... Their engineering is top knotch in my book. Love 'em or hate 'em musically.
They know what they are doing in the studio..It was so great to get such well recorded music
Peace Shipshape
Old 18th June 2005
jordan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
Well if it's not the recylced, rectified cockrock hooks that turn you on, it MUST be the carefully crafted misogynist lyrics?

What's not to love?

Get a life and start defending something that's defensible fuuck
Those "hands around your neck" lyrics surprised me a bit too when I heard about em. Note: heard ABOUT them lol. Still haven't heard the song.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Mike was this mixed on your Icon setup or SSL room? Are they mixes for the record or something else? Did you get to mix or have any comments on the AWS 900?
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
"Sorry. I should have been more clear. They suck, AND they're formulaic." ...That was actually preaty funny. I don't agree, but funny.

But I am with you 100% on the Mike Patton thing.

As far as the pop production comment goes, if nickelback was produced in a more Indipendant/Origional fashion would you then think they were talented?
No. I'd still dislike Nickelback. The singing style has been played out to me. I'm kind of mixing gripes here. I haven't heard nickelback in a while, but I woudln't be surprised if they actually sounded heavy. I put them in the Creed category. Average music with super unoriginal vocals. The pop production complaints are more geared towards some of the nu-metal acts. Can't remember names, but they all have the reverse reverb before the big chorus. "back off, I'll take you on. Head strong, I'll take on anyone." Whoever that is should die. I did remember the lyric so that might mean something, but I did want to punch him in the face every time I heard it.
Old 18th June 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
Can't remember names, but they all have the reverse reverb before the big chorus. "back off, I'll take you on. Head strong, I'll take on anyone." Whoever that is should die. I did remember the lyric so that might mean something, but I did want to punch him in the face every time I heard it.
Ditto on that x 1000
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape
I've just finished mixing 3 songs for the new Nickelback record and the songs are ..to me... great.and one thing I also have to say that they were some of the best recorded songs I've had to mix..... Their engineering is top knotch in my book. Love 'em or hate 'em musically.
They know what they are doing in the studio..It was so great to get such well recorded music
Peace Shipshape

Yeah, they care about the gear. I hear they have a luscious studio.
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Guru

What about that other horrible band in the 25 years later Nirvanabee vein, Seether?
have you guys HEARD or SEEN THEM?
F*ck me.
Another contemporary A&R masterstroke dfegad
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

Seether - have you seen that music video for their first single on their new album. It is called Remedy or something.. Man that song blows and the video is a piece of ****e. They had to spend at least 250,000 on that video and it is an absolute turd....

Geez, take that 250,000 and put it into something better like a song doctor..

Where is desmond child when you need him..

(_)_)//////D
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

VOMIT.

I HATE TOBACCO AUCTIONEERS. WTF

THING IS, EVERYONE COPIED UM ZEPPLIN SINGING RIGHT IN THE 80'S HAIR METAL? AXL SCREECHED LIKE PLANT.
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
Actually I would argue that being formulaic makes them a bad band. While I love plenty of non-mainstream music that isn't the least bit poppy, I also love a great pop song. Hell, They Might Be Giants is one of my favorite bands.

Now take the artists that make, in your opinion, the best pop songs ever made. Lets use some examples that many people agree on, like The Beatles or Billy Joel. Take any of their hits and try to line them up side by side like that. It's not going to work. What this Nickleback tune really represents is a microcosm for a general lack of skill and originality, and a lack of guts really, in the mainstream music culture.

Those Nickleback songs not only have the same structure and very similar melodies but the same tones, the same vibe. If you're going to write a song in the same key with the same melody at least change the mood of it a little.

The biggest problem though is that those two Nickleback songs are their two initial singles from two successive albums.

For example: I love Bad Religion (a band that's been criticized for rereleasing the same albums) and most of their albums have a couple throwaway tracks that sound similar to their other throwaway tracks, but their best songs are the ones with their own vibe, and those are the songs that they release as singles (off the new album Los Angeles Is Burning, Let Them Eat War, and Sinister Rouge are the three singles and they can't be 1:1 lined up with any of their other singles).

Finally, even with AC/DC I can't think of two singles that match up anywhere near that well. Back In Black, Dirty Deeds, You Shook Me, For Those About to Rock, Jailbreak, Thunderstruck, etc. Seriously, try lining up any two of those songs, even if you time align them. It's not going to sound anywhere near as similar. There's a difference between writing songs in the same style with the same chords (AC/DC, the Stones) and writing the same songs period.
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora
VOMIT.

I HATE TOBACCO AUCTIONEERS. WTF

THING IS, EVERYONE COPIED UM ZEPPLIN SINGING RIGHT IN THE 80'S HAIR METAL? AXL SCREECHED LIKE PLANT.
I always thought Axl sounded just like Janis Joplin. Seriously.
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Maniac

This is more of a bash of the industry than the band. Or you could even say a bash on the public, considering people don't realize the crap they listen to. I'm sure the bands doesn't care! $$$ is power!
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Addict

the double mix is nothing more than audio photoshop. theres no magic in it at all. i can time compress and expand any 2 groups and make it work. ive seen them live and there good. i dont care about the formula. the musicianship is more than there.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: nickelback sucks the farts ouot of dead pelicans and so does shipshape
Interesting....

in "Nickelback's Heavy Guitar Sound... Yes.. Nickelback"
Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: haters be damned, I like nickelback. the production is awesome! i want to know all about wha kind of mics they used on the kit, what kind of compressione used nickelback sucks the farts out of dead pelican's asses and then blows it out all over the airwaves for millions of people to hear. AWESOME!!!!!!
in Nickelback...you WILL get a laugh at this!
Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: they suck the farts out of dead pelicans bra
in Nickelback Recording Sessions
Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: haters be damned, I like nickelback. the production is awesome! i want to know all about wha kind of mics they used on the kit, what kind of compressione used nickelback sucks the farts out of dead pelican's asses and then blows it out all over the airwaves for millions of people to hear.
in Nickelback Sucks
Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: I said it once and i'll say it again. they suck the farts out of dead pelicans asses
in Nickelback sucks... SCIENTIFIC PROOF
Quote:
joeybaggadonuts: that being said though, Nickelback still sucks the farts out of dead seagulls
At least you have commitment.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10 View Post
Get over it already, isn't there some other band we can promote mindless hatred towards... I hear the Back street boys have a new album out. There good singers who were once hugely successful... lets get em, those bastards!
And it's a great album too - just like their last one.

In fact, I saw them live in concert here last night!

Was a LOT of fun. heh

No, I'm not gay fuuck

Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Same key and same tempo. What charlatans
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Head

I think its called the formula for hit songs.

If it makes a million dollars, why stop?

Old 21st February 2008
Gear Head

mike patton stole a song or two i imagine.

oh ya and the first picklesack album is also a cranberries album. chad just changed the words...

Last edited by Blearyoftimothy; 21st February 2008 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Nickleback Mountain
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Nut

OMG, that is hilarious and sad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search