The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About Big Ben again
Old 17th June 2005
About Big Ben again

My interfaces (ProTools HD 5) : 1x Apogee AD-16X, 1x Apogee DA-16X, 1x Digidesign 192 I/O, 1x Digidesign 192 Digital I/O. Also I have a TC System 6000 to sync. My question, should I buy a Big Ben ? I've read many posts and also I've read with Digi interfaces it's not possible to usa a BNC 'T' connector, so I have to daisy chain everything. Your advice ? Also I'd like to have an advice about clock cables. Thanks !
Old 19th June 2005
Here for the gear

My take is you don't have a need for Big Ben unless you are doing video post or clocking Digital Devices at different rates...I.E. PT at 96K & Dat Deck at 48K. I use Big Ben to clock my AD16X and DA16X but it serves no additional purpose since both the AD and DA have the C777 clock built into them. I simply purchased BB before I bought the AD and DA and have not sold it yet. There is supposed to be a clock made by Antelope Audio (the guy that designed AardSync II) that might have an edge on BB because of an oven controlled crystal plus provides Super Clock which BB does not...approximately same price as BB. I hope this helps. So, for now, I would clock to your AD16X.
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmccoy
... that might have an edge on BB because of an oven controlled crystal plus provides Super Clock which BB does not...approximately same price as BB.
Big Ben does provide superclock on the wordclock outs 5 and 6.
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante
My interfaces (ProTools HD 5) : 1x Apogee AD-16X, 1x Apogee DA-16X, 1x Digidesign 192 I/O, 1x Digidesign 192 Digital I/O. Also I have a TC System 6000 to sync. My question, should I buy a Big Ben ? I've read many posts and also I've read with Digi interfaces it's not possible to usa a BNC 'T' connector, so I have to daisy chain everything. Your advice ? Also I'd like to have an advice about clock cables. Thanks !
Either you mod your Digi boxes so they don't self terminate or... you put them last in your chain... OR you use the Big Ben to distribute the clock.

Supposedly, using T connectors is the best way for short runs, but like you, I use a few Digi devices, and I didn't want to mod them. Therefore I slave 2 DA16X's, 2 AD16X's, 1 192, 1 PT SYNC i/o all to a Hedd192 clock that I distrubute via the Big Ben.
Old 20th June 2005
Duende I obviously prefer not to mod my Digis, so unless I buy a BB what do you mean by 'last in the chain' ? You're talking about the clock chain I suppose, since from what I know they have to be the firt in the digilink chain. What kind of inconvenients can this configuration bring ? Thanks
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

There is a paper on the Apogee site explaining termination and explaining the particular situation with Digidesign interfaces using superclock. You are not supposed to terminate these, the green light will go on correctly if the interfaces are off but will go out once they are on. This does not affect clocking, it is just a particularity of these interfaces. I know this applies to the Mix interfaces I don't know the situation wrt the HD ones though.

see: http://www.apogeedigital.com/support...rt_results.php

The setup from duende seems a good one in your case too, only your starting point is Big Ben and not the Hedd.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante
Duende I obviously prefer not to mod my Digis, so unless I buy a BB what do you mean by 'last in the chain' ? You're talking about the clock chain I suppose, since from what I know they have to be the firt in the digilink chain. What kind of inconvenients can this configuration bring ? Thanks
As the Digi devices "self-terminate" you can't chain other devices off their word clock out port, which is why they need to be last in the WC chain. Digi works around this via their own Loop Sync hardware.

Their are many other's here on this board who are much more knowledgable about these issues than myself.. I'd do some searching here in the database to get a better idea of proper WC usage.

Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search