The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha SPX 90, 90II, 900, 990, 1000
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Yamaha SPX 90, 90II, 900, 990, 1000

I am curious about getting a used Yamaha SPX processor.

Is one of these worth having and why? I already have a Eventide Eclipse and Lexicon PCM 81 and TC 2290 but I am getting into doing a lot of ambient treatments and ambient music a la Eno/Lanois. I am just in the experimenting stage of adding colors to my palette and chaining a lot of stuff together in a mixing board send/return configuration to see what happens.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the origianl Yamaha SPX 90 and the SPX 90 II?

Also, I notice that a lot of the bigger studios still have these kicking around. Does anyone know what for? Is there some types of programs that this unit excells at that an Eventide H3000 or a Lexicon PCM won't do better?

I Know that the "symphonic" algortihm is a unique kind of chorusing that the Yamaha SPX does. Are people keeping them around for that effect? What does this effects processor do well that is making so many people hold onto them?

Which of the following Yamaha SPX series processors was the best one for it's unique sound qualities and the one to have if you are in the used market for only one of these? Which ones are not good?

SPX 90, 90 II, 900, 990, 1000?

Anyone with a good knowlege of these units and thier sonic differences would be of great help here. Thanks a lot for the help with this.

Any other suggestions of processing devices to check out for Ambient treatments as an alternative to the SPX stuff would be awesome.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the origianl Yamaha SPX 90 and the SPX 90 II?

Also, I notice that a lot of the bigger studios still have these kicking around. Does anyone know what for? Is there some types of programs that this unit excells at that an Eventide H3000 or a Lexicon PCM won't do better?

I Know that the "symphonic" algortihm is a unique kind of chorusing that the Yamaha SPX does. Are people keeping them around for that effect? What does this effects processor do well that is making so many people hold onto them?

Which of the following Yamaha SPX series processors was the best one for it's unique sound qualities and the one to have if you are in the used market for only one of these? Which ones are not good?

SPX 90, 90 II, 900, 990, 1000?

Anyone with a good knowlege of these units and thier sonic differences would be of great help here. Thanks a lot for the help with this.

Any other suggestions of processing devices to check out for Ambient treatments as an alternative to the SPX stuff would be awesome.
If I'm not mistaken the biggest difference between the SPX 90 I & II is that II has longer delay times.

The 900 added more alogrithms/parameters and some cool L C R delay things. I really like the White Room preset in that one. Tunnel is cool too...

I think the 990 has stereo in and out, and is a bit of a different thing sonically and conceptually. Way brighter that the other SPX's before it.

I don't know if i ever used a 1000.

What keeps then around is probaby the fact that they are not worth very much.

The Rev 5 and 7 may also be worth a look if you don't need a lot of other FX.

you may also want to look into a Korg DRV 3000, which has 2 stripped down SPX engines, but what's cool is that you can run them in series or parallel.

hope this helps a little. I'm sure some others will have insights as well...

Cheers,
John
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

I still like the SPX 990
snare plates are cool, voice doubler is cool.
some gated reverbs are great on toms.
I use it when I want an "efx", not a natural sounding room

I realise they are getting a little bit up (price) now, because live engineers still have the SPX 990 on their raiders.

I guess I would replace my SPX if it broke...

ringo.fire
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

REV5 the best!!!! okay I'll admit that I like the GATED REVERB patch on the old spx 90, it believe it's number 15??? it was my favorite sound on a snare when I use to rock clubs!!!
Old 27th December 2005
Here for the gear

SPX Suggestion

I realize that posting this a month later might make me a day late and a dollar short, but I would highly suggest staying away from the SPX 90 (either make 1 or 2) not because of bad sounds but because the power supply is flawed from a design standpoint. If you purchase a unit that works now it WILL NOT WORK after a few more hundred hours of use (I know that doesn't sound bad but trust me). They fixed the problem on the 990 (or whatever that new one is called, I never see them in our shop because they always work). Speaking of which, if you run across a tech manual for the SPX 90, MK 1 or 2, please let me know. I hope this helps.

Kyle Ford
Old 27th December 2005
we have 2 spx 90's in the basement of our studio and when turned them both on they started smoking! It sucks cause the synphonic effect is awsome. How much to repair the power supply?
Old 27th December 2005
Gear Guru

I've got an SPX 900 that I keep around. I really like "60's Sweep Flange" as a really obvious big flange (though since I got a Mangler I use it less...) Last week I used a short 'verb from a gated send to add a little presence to a snare. Sometimes the delays are cool. It's often the last unit I'll patched in when I need "one more effect" and the other units are already in use.
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

Symphonic effect is a must-have. Also, I use the Early Reflections programs on lead vocal a lot ...which is not to say I use a lot of it on lead vocals; just enough that you start to become aware of it, then back it down a hair.
Old 27th December 2005
The O2R has the same fx. I use the synphonic on bass sometimes through the O2R even though I mix ITB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search