The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
sm58 blows it all away
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

sm58 blows it all away

how else can I say it, but I'd never endorse any Audix mic evah!!!! The past couple of times I've mixed some tennie bopper rock bands; and these band engineers are showing up with bucket loads of audix mics...No slight on audix as they make some useful products...

An audix OM5 or whatever OM of the day is, it sounds like arse, almost like there's a lil' gerbial that controls the O/P with the effect of a TREMELO, seriously...The mic has a natzi style rejection....You just can't beat any 58, 57 into a neve....Audix, you give the other Audix a bad name--IMO

dfegad tutt
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
An audix OM5 or whatever OM of the day is, it sounds like arse
Confirmed.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
An audix OM5 or whatever OM of the day is, it sounds like arse,

Cmon now be fair. What if someone said " I want this to sound like arse"
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

then I'd say use an Audix for your vocals
fuuck
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Recorded vocals thru 58 to API pre and comp to Rosetta 800 to hard disk the other night and it was super, super nice. Gotta do that every once in a while just to remember how nice it can be. I'll try the Audix's anyway, but it doesn't sound promising from what you report.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
how else can I say it, but I'd never endorse any Audix mic evah!!!! The past couple of times I've mixed some tennie bopper rock bands; and these band engineers are showing up with bucket loads of audix mics...No slight on audix as they make some useful products...
Well, I have an OM5 and like it, but I would not recommend it for teenybopper rock bands; what it gives (uppermid presence and lowermid trimming) is exactly what those kinds of singers usually have an excess of. It's a great mic for older or wussier singers who need a shot of brightjuice. Also you're right about the extremely tight pattern; this is NOT a mic for player/singers unless they have tremendous "head discipline." It's fundamentally a handheld mic--it needs to be right in front of your mouth all the time, and then, for the right singer, it's fabulous.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Cmon now be fair. What if someone said " I want this to sound like arse"

Hmmmm.... All my recordings sound like arse without the benefit of any Audix mics.

Maybe I should pick up a few. It might get me there quicker.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Middleton
Well, I have an OM5...... this is NOT a mic for player/singers unless they have tremendous "head discipline." It's fundamentally a handheld mic--it needs to be right in front of your mouth all the time, and then, for the right singer, it's fabulous.
well it took brian middleton to describe it perfectly!!! kudos to you!!!! Yes in all fairness the mic does sound good, but hell yeah on the head positioning, with a 58, I'd never have this problem...

oh well, it's good to know that I'm in good company here!!! thanks guys.
Old 17th June 2005
jordan19
the i5 is better than the 57. snares, gtr amps.... whatever....

it is.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

audix HH vocal mics

Man, there are a lot of guys out there that do just fine with audix mics.

They are designed from the ground up with (gain before feedback) being the main factor.

These mics were never designed for recording studio environments. In my live experience, they do need more channel eq than a 58 but they can be made to sound great.

I have mixed for many bands in all kinds of venues. There are a few artists that simply needed the monitor level before feedback of a om6 or om7. ( I am not a huge fan of the om3) I have also had good luck with the om5.
The om6 is my favorite.

Examples of bands I mixed with the audix mics:
Neil Finn
Splender
letters to Cleo
Nada Surf
Tuscadero
Superdrag

I like the 58 better in some ways, For example, Less channel eq needed, more open sounding, a bit less delicate, less prone to moisture issues.

But the whole gain before feedback thing is where the audix mics become valuable.

If it were up to me everyone would sing through KMS 105's with everyone on ears.
But that isn't realistic.

In the studio there are some audix mics that are smashers.
The D4 is an amazing tom mic
The D6 is a cool kick mic
They have a 414 style mic with a round windscreen that is very nice on piano
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Well, it was a lesson that I shouldn't be talking out of my arse too much....

The one I have is OM3. I bought it probably like 8 years ago, and never liked it much. It gets too boomy when you are close, and when you back away it sounds small. Proximity effect I thought was too much with this one. It stayed in my junk pile for the most of the time I've had it.
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez View Post
then I'd say use an Audix for your vocals
fuuck

Clearly none of you have ever seen tool perform live then. OM6 on Maynard. Could be the singers you do sound for sound like ass. :-0
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

I've heard that VanHalen's 1984 was recorded entirely with 58's...
Old 14th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
the i5 is better than the 57. snares, gtr amps.... whatever....

it is.
I love my i5, esp for snare...but it can be too bright for some guitar amps.

To say ANYTHING is simply "better" is at best subjective, and at worst naive.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

I've never used any OM mics, but I do own a D6 and i5. Both are great, and often chosen over the more traditional mics for the applications you'd assume (kick, gtr cab, toms, snare, etc etc). Audix mics are tailored more towards the more 'modern' sound I guess, but that works for me.

I do own four 57's and two version of the 58 for a reason tho.
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Guru

I like about all Audix mics, seem to work well.
Old 14th July 2008
Audix i5 is one of the best newer mics out there. It's feel is almost like a SM57 but with a totally different tone. Great mic.
Old 14th July 2008
I've not used any of the OM stuff, but the i5, as some of you have mentioned already, is the first thing i put on an ac30 for most rock tone. it's got way more beef than a 57, and a good bit more bite. however, the highs on an i5 seem just a bit brittle on some sources when compared to a 57, but when micing those frequencies i would typically not be using a dynamic.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

seems like there's a little confusion as to whether we're talkin' live or studio...two different universes.

Live....D4, D6 like 'em
Studio...never use Audix but am hearing a lot say the i5 is cool for some things

Never underestimate the power of a 57 in both situations.

Nick
Old 14th July 2008
I've found the I5 to be directional to the extreme. Unlike 57s... point it at a tom or snare and that's all you get.

I think it's great on those drums. Just make sure it's positioned correctly and it's great.

And the D6 has found it's way right up there with D112s and 52s. Different but good in it's own way.
Old 14th July 2008
Here for the gear

I hate to say it, since I thought nothing would unseat the 58 in terms of versatility, but I've found a new favorite.

I just finished restoring an original cartridge SM56, and it's kind of just a little slice of totally freakin rad.

Shure brought back (sort of) the SH55, I really wish they'd take a second look at the 56...
Old 14th July 2008
Jai guru deva om

We recently shot out the SM58 against 27 other industry standard (and newcomers like Audix, Heil etc) and I would not say the SM58 rose to the top. It was all drum and instrument tracking though.

War
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Although the SM57 is a *classic* on the snare, it just doesn't do it for me. I've been extremely happy with Audix mics on drums whenever I've worked at a studio that has them. Enough so that I recently picked up a D1. thumbsup

No more shure's on drums for me! (Oops, I love the KSM32. Kick or Overheads, it sounds great.)

I also can't stand the 57 on guitar amps. Laziness, pure laziness. Go check out some nice condensors.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

Audix...

Just thought I'd share..

I worked stagehand for Candlebox recently, and there was Audix ALL OVER the stage. Drums, crowd mics, vox. Pretty much all of it, except for 57s and 421 on cabs.

They sounded great, FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
sm58 blows it all away-0712082345.jpg   sm58 blows it all away-0712082345a.jpg   sm58 blows it all away-0712082345b.jpg  
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

The sm58 is my favorite vocal mic ever, everthing i ever track with it is smoothe and silky,and never harsh. The audix I-5 is killin on guitar cabs,and kick ,snare, and hats. Come to think of it, i could use just an
I-5 on the whole kit, prevents you from having to e.q and fight that "highend sound" on the overheads later when mixing! All that damn sizzle.
Captures only what i need.
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

I don't care what anybody says, but Craftsman tools rock! WAY better than Rigid.
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Addict

I used a couple of OM-5s over the weekend for the first time on The Wyrd Sisters, and I was pleasantly surprised with them. Great fb rejection, and the articulation in the upper mids was nice and clear without being ouchy/brittle. Took minor corrective eq nicely, too.

My 0.012 €
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez View Post

An audix OM5 or whatever OM of the day is, it sounds like arse, almost like there's a lil' gerbial that controls the O/P with the effect of a TREMELO, seriously...The mic has a natzi style rejection....You just can't beat any 58, 57 into a neve....Audix, you give the other Audix a bad name--IMO

dfegad tutt
57's/58's....if you can sing, they're fantastic.....
Old 15th July 2008
I assume you're talking about live sound in this situation. With that in mind, i'll say that a lot of the problem is salesman pitching the microphone that has the highest margin instead of allowing the singer to try a different range of mics from EV, Shure, Audix, or Sennheiser as they'll all sound better or worse depending on who you have in front of them. In this way, price is a very subjective thing as even some live vocal condensers will sound fantastic on some singers, or absolutely terrible on others.

Now with this in mind, in my experience, both on stage and behind the board, there's nothing like the articulation you can get from a microphone with a tailored vocal response, ie: Audix OM series or Sennheiser evo series. This is in comparison to using the venue's mics (always SM58s). Now this doesn't mean that a brand new SM58 won't sound different or better than some beat up mic that the venue has been using for 20 years, but more often than not I can understand the vocalist much better using the Audix OMs rather than SM58s.

YMMV as we're a loud rock and roll band with a great singer. In this case we need a mic with great gain before feedback. The Audix OM2 sounds great with our singer and we can still understand what he's saying (this often coming from much less than ideal monitoring situations on stage.) We've tried SM58s and it just didn't sound as good with his voice.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Maniac

e835........

For real though, I don't even know what a sm58 is any more.

E935 if you got a little more cash.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search