The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
sm58 blows it all away
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Can't live without the SM57 on the cabs and snare, and I love the super wide pattern of the Beta58.

Have anyone put a SM7 against the SM58?

Yeah , the SM7 sounds bigger , smoother , more natural .

The 58 , with the metal pop filter off , sounds like its in the same family , very good vocal mic and similar to SM7 , just not as full sounding .
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

58's are the greatest for gigging and jammin too. we use as many as 5 in a not so big room. they sound good and great feedback control. i droped one on the cement floor and pushed the dent back out of the screen, plugged it back in and keept going. they're like tanks.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Addict

We tested 11 mics for a rock record vocal.. fet47, U87, U67, sm57, sm58, sm7B, a Sennheiser, Audix i5, several others. Into a Trident 85, and not knowing which was which, the band unanimously chose the SM58, hands down. (FWIW, I liked the 57)
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Head

I often record SM58 through vintech273, Joemeek SC.2 and Apogee converters with very good results.
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by james meeker View Post
audix i5 is one of the best newer mics out there. It's feel is almost like a sm57 but with a totally different tone. Great mic.

+1 for sure !
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
the i5 is better than the 57. snares, gtr amps.... whatever....

it is.

i love the i5
Old 28th December 2008
Gear Addict

I've never cared for the upper-mid peak of the SM58 in live situations. Because of that I hadn't even considered using one for recording.
Old 28th December 2008
Motown legend

At six inches away a 57 actually has an amazingly flat frequency response.
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
At six inches away a 57 actually has an amazingly flat frequency response.
While the SM57 is definitely flatter than the SM58, even the Shure marketing department doesn't think it is all that flat:

Old 29th December 2008
Gear Head

This reminds me I need to hurry back over to Guitar Center to punch one of the audio guys in the face for somehow convincing me to purchase an Om-2 instead of an SM58.

What was I on??

Granted I've been using the AT 4050 (I think that's the one) and that sounds great but I need to sell my Om and get a 58!
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
I recorded my arse with the audix and found it to be very accurate and uncolored. YAMV.
Your arse or the mic?
Old 29th December 2008
I recorded a 5 pieceband a couple of days ago, in my small mixroom. The vocalist had to use a handheld mic so I gave him a sm58 offcourse.

Blä....

It didn't sound good at all. So I tried an old beyer soundstar, looks like a more spacier 421!

YeeeeeHaaaaa!

Just a great mic for his voice.

I like sm58 but only on toms...
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
We tested 11 mics for a rock record vocal.. fet47, U87, U67, sm57, sm58, sm7B, a Sennheiser, Audix i5, several others. Into a Trident 85, and not knowing which was which, the band unanimously chose the SM58, hands down. (FWIW, I liked the 57)
So the band all picked the mic that they are used to hearing the most! LOL.

IMO the SM58 can sound wonderful on some vocalists and on others it does them an injustice. Having heared Neil Finn and Tool live a few times I have always been knocked out of the park by their live vocal sounds. Some of the best live vocals I have ever heared in fact.

On my wife's vocals we chose a Sennheiser 935 over most of the new hand held condensers. It kept the nuances and charms of her voice that the SM58 missed. With an SM58 I needed to filter the lows to keep the voice balanced and inteligible and add a touch of treble to regain some articulation and to percieve some of the detail lost. This isn't true for everyone of course as there are many singers out there where the SM is a good fit.

I'd love to try the audix range of mics as our Sennheiser 935 disappeared at a gig.

Peace,
cortisol
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petterericsson View Post
I recorded a 5 pieceband a couple of days ago, in my small mixroom. The vocalist had to use a handheld mic so I gave him a sm58 offcourse.

Blä....

It didn't sound good at all. So I tried an old beyer soundstar, looks like a more spacier 421!

YeeeeeHaaaaa!

Just a great mic for his voice.

I like sm58 but only on toms...
The Soundstars are great. Haven't gotten a MKI yet, but the MKII is killer. Kinda' like they crossed a 58 with a SM7B.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

I did a live studio recording/pre pro this weekend and used an SM58 into my Great River and it sat just perfectly in the mix and sounded fantastic. It was a Tom Petty'ish type singer and I think it will beat out some condensors I have...very impressed.
cam
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I did a live studio recording/pre pro this weekend and used an SM58 into my Great River and it sat just perfectly in the mix and sounded fantastic. It was a Tom Petty'ish type singer and I think it will beat out some condensors I have...very impressed.
cam
It seems like everywhere in the world people understand the saying "sometimes less is more," unless you're in a gearslutz forum. Trust, I have this problem too. Everytime I lust after a Wunder CM7 I remember how kick ass my SM57 and SM7b worked for the last session. Of course that placebo is short lasting, but it gets me by...
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

1. Check out the i5's frequency response chart. all scooped out.

2. You can't use the i5 as a handheld vocal mic -- it has a ton of handling noise.

Personally I prefer the i5 on snare, SM 57 on most everything else.

The 57 sounds amazing on vocals thru my Blue Robbie preamp.
Attached Thumbnails
sm58 blows it all away-i5-freq.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2009
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Another 57/58 vocal mic lover here...

Chris
Old 3rd February 2009
Here for the gear

A 57 can definitely sound good on vocals but most of the times I pick the SM7 instead (for recording that is...).

A 57 in action (1.57 into the clip)

YouTube - The Making of Eagles of Death Metal's 'Heart On' - Part 1
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Audix i5 is one of the best newer mics out there. It's feel is almost like a SM57 but with a totally different tone. Great mic.
It doesn't have that mid honk and that makes it less useful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search