The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Randy Staub
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Nut

Randy Staub

I hear a lot of big name mixers being thrown around but for some reason I don't see Randy Staub a lot and I think in my opinion he is the best. Definitely one of the best drum mixers out there. Anyone ever watch him mix and want to spill any info on what he was doing? Just curious.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Never watched him work aside from that Metallica DVD.
Fan of him as well, but then I would have to admit being a fan of Nickelback, subjecting myself to even more ridicule from board members!
Love RS another good user of compression extreme!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

when I was an asst. back in the day... lol. I heard a rumor that some guy somewhere...took two nickelback songs...Ok short story for a long day--Basically the songs were in the same key, tempo, and had similar if not the same changes.

So the tale is that this "guy" took the L channel from one song, and then the right channel from the other song, one could only image the laughter that followed.

who knows, sounds true, and I'd hope just maybe any here can put some light on this, or just tell me that my breath stinks!!!
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
when I was an asst. back in the day... lol. I heard a rumor that some guy somewhere...took two nickelback songs...Ok short story for a long day--Basically the songs were in the same key, tempo, and had similar if not the same changes.

So the tale is that this "guy" took the L channel from one song, and then the right channel from the other song, one could only image the laughter that followed.

who knows, sounds true, and I'd hope just maybe any here can put some light on this, or just tell me that my breath stinks!!!
It's true ... i have it around somewhere .... I'll post a link if I can dig it up.
Old 17th June 2005
Jai guru deva om

Staub is a big SSL guy, correct? He mixed a band for "Crossfade" which came from good ol' Columbia SC (home of Hootie...yay) and certainly worked a miracle on what they did. They recorded their own album in the garage with a cracked version of cakewalk, an AKG C3000, POD guitars, Alesis D5 triggered drums, a guitar compressor box for vocal tracking, and I think an ECHO sound card.

Got signed to Columbia and they decided to just have it remixed.

And it sounds as good as a lot of other stuff out there, although it's all samples and POD stuff so not exactly a shining example of an album.

War
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Wouldn't be surprised... I can think of two songs that could work together like that.
Sappy songs aside, I think the guitar tones on Silver Side Up are mean, and the drum sound is a study in compression. The vocals are a little bit splatty to my ear, but i think "How You Remind Me" is a masterpiece.

Also liked the stuff he and BR did with Motely Crue.

Then there's that lil ole black album that RS recorded and mixed. Not a bad one to have on the resume!
Old 17th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Staub is a big SSL guy, correct? He mixed a band for "Crossfade" which came from good ol' Columbia SC (home of Hootie...yay) and certainly worked a miracle on what they did. They recorded their own album in the garage with a cracked version of cakewalk, an AKG C3000, POD guitars, Alesis D5 triggered drums, a guitar compressor box for vocal tracking, and I think an ECHO sound card.

Got signed to Columbia and they decided to just have it remixed.

War
wow, thats freakin awesome

*back to mixing my album*
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

GO CROSSFADE: I had the pleasure of mixing them for a tv broadcast last year...They had a good stage sound, and to me, that makes my job a lot easier.
Old 17th June 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
GO CROSSFADE: I had the pleasure of mixing them for a tv broadcast last year...They had a good stage sound, and to me, that makes my job a lot easier.
They are really nice guys too, I don't really know them know them but assisted on an album they did locally when they were in their late teens or very early twenties. Back then they were called "The Nothing".

War
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
They are really nice guys too
Yes, they're are totally easy to work with, plus they didn't show up with a cement bucket filled with audix mics!!!!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Audix D6 = secret weapon for metal guitar. Move it around a bit to get it right.
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear

He mix AIC's latest. I love the song arrangements and the evolution of the band's sound - they're not has-been's by any stretch. What I don't care for on the album, particular noticeable on the dense mixes is the crazy limiting! Was this Randy's doing or the ME Ted Jensen???? I hope AIC puts an end to that OVER-LIMITED sound, brings back the dynamics of DIRT and Facelift which are by no means quiet recordings.
Old 22nd December 2011
Here for the gear

Ultimate Guitar Interview, very informative:

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound'

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound' | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
Old 22nd December 2011

Randy is brilliant imo. Nice to hear some kick drum in rock with some ass on it.
Old 31st July 2016
Here for the gear

It's been a while, since there was a last answser in this topic, but back to the point.

Does any one of You have some interesting kick and snare samples kind of like Randy put here in "Lookin in the view"?

Old 1st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvujgcbaCF8

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search