The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chris Lord Alge Drum Reverb?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

This is a great thread, I love insight on mixes.....but the most important fact has seemed to be overlooked.........

THE ORIGINAL TRACKS......they are what makes mixing easier....

Crushing drum overheards works great if the room sounds cool, and is balanced.

Vocals....tons of compression.....yeah, but on a cheap vocal mic tracked through a mackie, won't sound the same....

I think you see my point......Let's just keep everything in perspective.
Old 25th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I think we're overlooking the biggest asset to a mixer that they both have - a hyphenated surname.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear
I really really really doubt they care neccesarily if anybody knows a trick or two on how they get their 'sound'...I be they laugh their asses off at the little 'controversies' that are created whenever people try to get to the bottom of this!

Maybe as mixers and creative people, they feel like their style is, just that, their own, and maybe they don't want to give it out simply because it bugs them to. Not to 'protect' themselves from anyone else stealing their tricks, because let's face it:

1) Nobody will ever make mixes that sound like theirs, even with be best ears and gear, and

2) Even if you did, record labels would still keep sending their stuff to TLA and CLA because *why* should they take a chance?

It's almost like saying that Frank Sinatra won't reveal how he hits those notes, or more realistically a guitarist or drummer giving out his 'tricks'. Without being that person, with his/her creativity/style, it doesn't matter.

That said, tricks make getting the sound we're hearing in our heads a lot easier, and so that's why I love threads like this!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

A question for those of you who have assisted, or sat in with, TLA or CLA- How loud do they monitor? Their mixes always strike me as sounding like they're designed to sound great at relatively low volumes.

Adam
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
2) Even if you did, record labels would still keep sending their stuff to TLA and CLA because *why* should they take a chance?
Exactly.

And with major-label rock, pop, metal, and country typically relying on the same forty mixers to do one or two releases a month, each...(rap/r&b isn't much better)...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Not sure if this was posted but here it is, right from his mouth (or endorsments)

Chris Lord-Alge's Top 13 (in no particular order):

1) Focusrite Red3 and a pair of Pultec EQP1A accross mix buss. Pultecs
give an SSL the low end of a Neve. Neve eq's alone, don't give the broad
low end a Pultec provides.

2) Blue stripe 1176 on lead vocals.

3) Inward Connections TS3 comp/lim on backing vocals

4) Bank of Manley Pultecs on drums

5) Fresh, recapped 1176 blackface vintage on bass guitar

6) Pye comp/lim accross stereo drum room mics, 2/1 ratio, set for
aggressive squashing

7) LA3's for main pair of Electric/Acoustic gtr's

8) Old Sony RE2000 verb on drums

9) 480 for main reverb

10) Line 6 echo pro vocal and main delays

11) Recording Kick: Fet 47 double padded, 1073, Pultec EQP1A, DBX160vu
tapping red LED, subtly

12) recording Snare: SM57, same chain as Kick, with 10db extra pad, with
a bump of boost on 100 and 5k

13) Mic above drummer's head, use U67 or U47, straight into console,
sometimes 180 degrees out of phase, gives a nice Zeppelin feel to kick
and snare, so not so isolated and direct sounding.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Love those Vintage King lists...
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam miller
A question for those of you who have assisted, or sat in with, TLA or CLA- How loud do they monitor? Their mixes always strike me as sounding like they're designed to sound great at relatively low volumes.

Adam

the thing that impressed me about CLA was how he can get a mix to have a certain sound, even on the boombox. He has some sony minidisc boombox and we monitored on that thing just as much as on the NS-10's or the other set of speakers he has (M&K or something). This is when we were tweaking, not sure what he does while mixing because we weren't in the room during that. I think of it kind of like listening to a recording of an explosion at a very quiet volume......you still get the impression that the earth is shaking and the sound you are listening to is a very loud event. It's the same with his mixes....even at very conservative levels, you still get the impression that they sound "epic".

Andy
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

very insightful thread since i love both of these guys' mixes.

But I've heard rumors and even seen presets that, chris especially, almost always eqs before going into compressors. Where as I almost always see guys doing compression before eq. I've tried it both ways trying to distinguish why, and though I don't know the theory on it, they definitely help sounds keep their punch attack after being thrown through some heavier compression.

Any takers on that thought?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

I personally saw him kill a man with his bare hands. He then outran a speeding locomotive
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

IMO this thread is no different than people trying to figure out how EVH did Eruption and got the brown sound....
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute
I personally saw him kill a man with his bare hands.

And i saw him raise him back from the dead.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

wait.... CLA is chuck norris??heh
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

bump!

but seriously, continue discussion pertaining to TLA/CLA, very interesting! thumbsup
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
Still looking for some Sony DRE 2000 impulses. Anyone have a link to some?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I personally saw him kill a man with his bare hands. He then outran a speeding locomotive
I heard he was seven feet tall . ..
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

...and shot lightning from his arse.

/braveheart
Old 13th January 2010
CLL
Here for the gear

Originally Posted by Labs
That would rawk.... I wanna know where the "lord" thing comes from

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
Their mother is Vivian Lord.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi View Post
Lady Vivian Lord?

Chris and Tom Lady Alge? Just doesn't have the same ring, now does it?..
I just came across this old thread while looking for info on what albums the Lord-Alge bros. have been nominated for this year... and I couldn't resist the urge to dispel a myth- (or "myth-nomer", as the case may be) to anyone speculating about the last name of Lord-Alge.

Here's how it was explained to me by my Auntie Viv:

Her sister, Gloria, (my grandmother) married R.W. Lord around the time Vivian started really cooking in her accomplished career as a jazz pianist and singer; Gloria and Vivian's maiden name is Mavrakos.

Auntie Viv married F. Alge and thought that neither the name Mavrakos or Alge was a name she wanted standing alone, so she borrowed the name "Lord" from my grandfather and added it to Alge, hyphenating "Lord-Alge" for the stage (remember- EVERYONE had stage names around that time). The fact that my Gramps was a huge jazz aficionado didn't hurt matters- and honestly, I think it probably appealed to his ego, given the fact that my Aunt is so damn talented.

So that's it. Probably not as exciting as some out there might like, but if you wanna believe we're all "Lords" and "Ladies" go right ahead (though I believe the name actually may have descended from a true British Lord at some point- the "Lord" family name does hail from Jolly Ole England).

Incidentally, I was named after my cousin Chris and I am quite honored by it. Each of the members of the Lord-Alge family is incredibly gifted and we eagerly await news of their accomplishments each year.

It's a joy to listen to artists' work when you know they totally dig what they do.

C. Lord

Last edited by CLL; 13th January 2010 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: additional quote citation
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post

i heard he uses a live rattlesnake as a condom
Old 7th April 2010
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL View Post
I just came across this old thread while looking for info on what albums the Lord-Alge bros. have been nominated for this year... and I couldn't resist the urge to dispel a myth- (or "myth-nomer", as the case may be) to anyone speculating about the last name of Lord-Alge.

Here's how it was explained to me by my Auntie Viv:
C. Lord
hehehe.. I'm so glad you posted this. It's been an amusing thread and you topped it off well. Great stuff. Happy times to you Chris.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam miller View Post

Adam
CLA mixes with very low volumes.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

loud enough to get excited, with occasional checks on the boombox. . .
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Head

If i tell you

settings for LA bros you will guys will just laugh about why you can't

get that awesome snare sound for days

but theres 5 things in a chain !

& One of them even consists of Might I dare not say it!

! SIDE Chaining ! REVERB! ZOMG! RUN
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

One of my fave snare sounds ever is CLA's mix on Jimmy's Chicken Shack's major label debut, "Pushing the Salmonilla Envelope".
There's a cut on that album called "Milk".
Absolutely killin' snare from hell. pAAAANGggggg

TK
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Loved reading this thread.

Really into learning the CLA techniques just now, he has been a great inspiration over the years for me and really envy the guys here who have assisted him.
Old 9th May 2012
Here for the gear

Believe in yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
I tend to agree, it's up to the engineer to "give" as much as he/she wants. But I think it's OK to talk about the broad strokes. My use of 1176 on vocals is going to be wildly different than Chris or Tom's regardless of settings. Talk to someone like Swedien and he happily tell you all his "secrets" because he knows there's no way you're going to emulate his ears.

this is my opion, everyone gave alittle piece of the answer, believe in yourself,your ears and your experence , the tools are out there, and the right tools are probably in your tool Box, we don't have to be CLA or TLA use there ability and there Mixes and set the pace, I love my Mixes and my Clients Like them to, to me I always do my Best every Mix has to be better then the last, ( atleast I hope ) all ya'll sound smart be yourselfs, maybe one day some newbie will wish they could Mix Like ya'll.

When in doubt, go back to the Basics

Last edited by purecountry70; 9th May 2012 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: mispelled
Old 15th September 2012
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
Love those Vintage King lists...
Me too.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

almost 9 year anniversary of this. real gem
Old 11th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

15 years...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search