The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What 3 things have changed the way you record or mix ???
Old 17th June 2005
1) PRO TOOLS - Moving over to PT 6 years ago from 2" tape (I managed to bypass the "ADAT revolution") changed everything - it really frustrated me, pissed me off and I found making rock records in a computer VERY hard work - But I continued with it and developed PT recording & mixing skills. My background was the old fashioned recording studio culture with the personell chain- Teaperson / Assistant / Engineer where the engineer was always training the person below, with 2" tape totally absent for my sessions, I now train my assistants how to make rock records in a computer.

2) WEB FORUMS - Sitting like a hawk on the Internet - soaking up info on forums - I had 4 years of pro studio internship / assisting other engineers & producers. But then I became an in house engineer - then freelance engineer at various studios in London & Europe - so from that time on, the new trick gathering was limited to bumping into fellow engineers at parties of in the kitchen at large studios, this info sharing was 'mild' and not quite so free (hard bitten freeelancers guarding their tricks), certainly it was very infrequent. I find Web info sharing is much free-er and is continuous - I like that! thumbsup

3) RECORDING "FLAT", TRYING NOT TO USE MUCH EQ - After years of twisting eq's with pliers, I am back to a purer 'try to record it flat' work method. (obvious really - DOH!) I have developed a system of adding eq & compression plug ins (McDSP/SONY/URS) to MONITOR while tracking drums (this cheers up the 'flat recording' method for me) I use plenty of EQ when mixing, no fear there!
Old 17th June 2005

1- Taking the time to *properly* mic instruments + using lots of ambiant mics

2- Learning to mix on Analog consoles first instead of ITB...

3- Learning about acoustics + being properly trained by old SE with tons of experience (I admire those guys so much!!! !!!)

3,5 - Meeting great SE with whom you can really talk and share experiences

And... Gearslutz of course!

Cheers
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

1. Realizing that no matter how many knobs I twist, my gear is only about 20% of the equation - if that.

2. Figuring out that I need to spend less time at the EQ and more time at the amps and with the mics.

3. See #1 - I had this epiphony one day that there is nothing I can do to make a crappy song good, a bad arrangement mix well, and a bad player sound right.

-Christian
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I forgot to mention online forums like this one, which without, Id still be using my Roland VS-2480 and thinking it was the ****!!!
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Guru

1. Confidence
2. NS10's
3. Folcrom
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. solid musical training

2. doing live sound for money and experience

3. listening to records I love and reading the interviews with the AE
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

1. Information from the internet and books (drum micing,eq,compression,etc.)
2. Countless hours of recording and mixing
3.Better equipment ( I actually thought 5 years ago that the roland vs 890 I had was all I needed and wondered why people had so much rack gear when they could have it all in one box)
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. Turn the VOLUME DOWN WHILE MIXING ! I used to mix really loud because I grew up with a Marshall stack blaring 3 feet away from me constantly and I was used to very loud music. The overall balance and tone of my mixing has improved tenfold when I keep it low for as long as possible. (less over EQing as well)

2. I record as many instruments as possible with the band in the same room together as they would be if they were practicing or playing on stage. Most musicians are way more comfortable with this than a more surgical approach and they perfom MUCH better.

3. I agree with Fletcher. Headphones suck. I`d say most musicians don`t practice together with headphones on so why have them on when your trying to milk the best performance possible out of them. Singers perform better without them as well I think.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

I couldn't help noticing that the original subject line was "What 3 things have changed the way you record or mix?" but it did not necessarily specify "FOR THE BETTER"

For me:

1) DAWs
2) DAWs
3) DAWs

The change from analog tape...hell, even from MDMs...to DAWs has made a more radical change to the way I mix & record than any other technique, piece of kit, or philosophy. And definitely *not* a change for the better!

But if I had to list 3 things that changed the way I record & mix in a POSITIVE way, they'd be:

1) the realization that Magic is our greatest commodity when recording music
2) the realization that a Good Idea is infinitely more valuable than a Good Mic Preamp or a Good A/D, etc...
3) LSD

Last edited by Bob Ross; 17th June 2005 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: typo!
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I couldn't help noticing that the original subject line was "What 3 things have changed the way you record or mix?" but it did not necessarily specify "FOR THE BETTER"

For me:

1) DAWs
2) DAWs
3) DAWs

The change from analog tape...hell, even from MDMs...to DAWs has made a more radical change to the way I mix & record than any other technique, piece of kit, or philosophy. And definitely *not* a change for the better!

But if I had to list 3 things that changed the way I record & mix in a POSITIVE way, they'd be:

2) the realization that a Good Idea is infinitely more valuable than a Good Mic Preamp or a Good A/D, etc...
3) LSD
What he said!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

3) LSD
Wow, those happened so long ago for me, I have a whole new set of changes but those definitely apply!

1) Multi-mic'ing an act that sounded great in the room and never being able to assemble that great sound from the separate tracks
2) Hearing an old Ellington record that let me know that they recorded that great sound in the room, not every individual thing and then try and reassemble it

This sent me down the one or two mic purist road- ironically, a road I had travelled much when I had nothing but 2 mics and a DAT! Before trying to "improve" on things with all the tracks and toys- what I needed was a better 2 mics and a better 2 track.

3) Reading about acoustics, eating something good and suddenly hearing like a microphone! Hearing all the reflections and phase issues and everything. Wow!
Old 17th June 2005
Mindreader

Cutting out/filtering high end on almost everything and being very careful how much I let back into the mix, and choosing which items are to be high end dominant

Samplers/Sampling (especially drums)

Not spending half my life trying to track down hiss to eliminate it anymore
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. Building a studio with proper acoustics
2. Upgrading to HD2 Accel
3. Apogee AD-16x, DA-16x with X-HD cards directly into PT
4. Distressors
5. Dangerous 2 Bus (Thanks Jules)
==========================================
Very near future purchases:
AMS Neve 1073 DPA
Neumann U87 (and other quality mics)

Rob
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

One from Gearslutz that's made a big difference for me:

Paying attention to panning while ITB. I put that part of my brain on sleep when I first started DAWing it. Using stereo channels and inserted plug-ins that were doing lots of stereo stuff without really paying adequate attention to what was ending up where in the stereo field. Threw up a track for comment here and ThrillFactor made the blindingly obvious (but entirely necessary) comment: "just because things are in stereo doesn't mean you have to pan them that way." And it was like... well, where's the emoticon for "slapping one's forehead after realizing your own stupidity"? Couldn't believe how lazy I had gotten with my panning.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. Recording great musicians with great instruments.
I can remember 20 some years ago, when I recorded my first real session player on a Tascam 80-8 and a SoundWorkshop 1280B. All of a sudden my studio sounded much better.

2. Building my studio. Mmmmmm 17 foot high vaulted ceiling.

3. A-Dats, yes A-Dats. Finally, my jazz clients could afford tape! No more direct to two track sessions. Happy to see them go. Also happy I'm not using A-Dats anymore!
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunasafedolphin
2. Figuring out that I need to spend less time at the EQ and more time at the amps and with the mics.
Been on that one too lately.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. A drummer who hits the drums as hard as he hits the cymbals.
2. A good stereo microphone
3. Still looking for it.
Old 18th June 2005
Here for the gear

1. Moving from 1/2 inch 8 track tape to 2 inch 24 track format - huge difference
2. discovering the UAD1 card plugs actually sounded something like their hardware counterparts and were usable - won't mix without it now
3. everytime that I get that 'chicken-skin' reaction to a helluva performance I just captured it reminds me why I've been doing this for so long and it re-energizes me to put up with the thousand mediocre moments until the next great one occurs
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Mixing into the Lavry Blue instead of the Lynx II. Like taking a big piece of cloth off the mix.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search