The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to record these drums?
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

how to record these drums?

looking for some tips on what would be the best way to mic up a drum kit based on the limitted gear I currently have, and having about 500US what type of things would make for better sounds, better options.

I will be recording my band for a demo and here is what I have to use for gear.

Motu 828MK2
presonus Digimax LX - 8 channel pre
Drawmer 1960 comp
Drawmer 1961 EQ
behringer composer pro comp

Mics
Ev RE-20
Audix OM2
Sm57(2)
Rode NT-2
Studio Project C4

I am thinking of running 5 mics fo th kit
The C4's through the presonus and the 1960 on insert
The RE-20 on the kick ---> presonus --> EQ on insert
SM57 on snare --> presonus --> EQ on insert
NT-2 on the room infront --> presonus

Should I use the behringer on the snare and kick as well?
I wonder if the Drawmer compressor should go on the kick nd snare instead of overheads.

Any toughts about the signal chain? We are renting a studio to this by the hour here in Tokyo, so there isn't time to experimet with the order of things that much. An ideas would be appreciated.

Again, if you think that "If you just had so-and-so Mic or other item" it would make all the difference, then b all means let me know.
Thanks in advance
Leon

Edit>> forgot to mention, we play indie/emo/pop type stuff. Get up Kids/Weezer/Christie front Drive kinda thing.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

Sm 57 on snare right under the high hat pointed at the rim of the drum a few inches out.
Sm 57 on Kik drum. stuff it in there.
Use one overhead mic ( LDC if you have one ) somewhere right over your head as low as you can get it. aim it to taste.
Go through the digimax with no compression.
Split the overhead into two tracks ( parallel )
Compress the daylights out of one overhead track and then boost the highs and lows.
bring it up slowly under the uncompressed tracks.
Mix to taste.
Keep it simple and use your ears.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

Hi edyer,
thanks for the reply. Do you think that the sm57 would be better on the kick than the EV20? Is the setup you suggested a 3 mic set up? Just 1 overhead? Would the NT2 be best? The C4's are actaully a matched pair of condensers. Would it be better to try and do overheads in stereo to improve imaging?

Thaks again.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'd use the RE-20 on kik andthe c4's as stereo OH's
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

I have a pile of mics and for some reason lately the sm57 has been my favorite kik mic. It needs less EQ and it seems to stand out with less effort.Try cutting the kik below 200 hz and it will clean up the bottom end of the mix a lot. If you have a pair of mics to go overhead that's great. Try to use them to get everything on the kit. Lately I have been sticking mine down as low as I can get them. Pan them to center up the snare and see what happens. I would still try the parralel tracks with them and squash one with the compressor. Get it to pump the snare to the tempo of the music. Boost it at 10-12k and then again in the lower freqs ( you have to play with them a little ). Lately I have been doing a lot of drum tracking and have really changed my thinking from hey mic everything to how few of these suckers can we get away with. Good luck.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

edyer,
cool. I might give that a go, as we are really into simplicity as well. do yu have a samples of a kit mic'd with this 3 mic 4 chanel kinda setup? Would love to hear what kinda of results ou are getting.

paultools.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

I'll try and post one later tonight. We are getting ready to go on a trip but I will see what I can do.
Eric
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Head

Thanks, but I fully understand if you aren't able to.
Enjoy your trip.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search