The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
speck mp 5.0
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Addict

speck mp 5.0

just so's youz gearslutz don't feel left out, here's an edited version of my post to fletch's forum:

Quote:
in lieu of a response from fletch regarding why the new speck mp 5.0 had become one of his personal faves of late, i got the generous offer from mister vince himself, to demo the new pre WITH his gorgeous asc, shipping both ways, on him (though that return trip could prove to be dubious!). to coincide with this, i picked up this little beaut' this week,

http://www.smfamps.com/amp_info.htm

as well as 2 loaners, a pennington penalizer 50 and a bedrock 1600 (mix with equal parts u.s. strat plus with fralin vintage hots & a '61 reissue les paul/sg, & we're good to go!). so i fully intend to put vince's handiwork through it's paces. i will also be taking this setup by a few mate's studios in town (da big apple), to, one, avail myself of a better stocked mic collection, and, two, to do some new vocals, sax & guitar for james chance & the contortions (i am the guitarist for them) on their last, unreleased, album (presently on 2 inch, i plan to fly it over to alsihad or nuendo, so that i can bring it back to my studio). i have been (as i'm sure a lot of you have) anxiously awaiting the release of this pre for a year and a half. i haven't worked out the logistics yet, but i'd like to post my results on the net somewhere, so we can all hear what the wait was about. anyone in town that'd like to have a play, contact me via the rec pit's (read gearslutz) pm, rather than my spam-laden email posted here (i might miss it while cleaning it out).

i find fletch to rarely be wrong in his assessments (he's kinda become my barometer) of the gear he likes, and if he's right about the mp 5.0, i wanna let the rest of you'ze guyz in on the find. we can always use a reasonably-priced new mic pre. lets find out where this baby fits in! and slippy, if i can work out some transpo to your neck of the woods, and you'd like to have a play with the pre & my new amp, you know where to get in touch. you too, jay.
needless to say, the mp 5.0 & asc (non tranny version, as the inserts on the pre supply the tranny!) arrived in perfect working order. i will start recording this week, but my initial impressions suggest that this is one VERY serious piece of gear! i took my trusty baby bottle (not really a great vocal mic), plugged it in & enabled the -20db pad, backed off on the trim, shaped a little with the asc & let loose on the gain. whoa!!! very creamy! the colour on this pre is wonderful, yet, and this took me by surprise, articulate & transparent!!! go figger. it takes on that kinda compression & airiness fron the tranny, yet it doesn't seem weighted down by that colour. is this makin' any sense? vince really caught me off guard with this pre. and it sounds nothing (at all!) like the competitions' similarly priced pre's. in other word's, a new paintbox! this is very good news for those of us with limited funds. everyone IS gonna want to add this pre to their collection, no bout a doubt it! vince has come up with a clear winner here! i'll be following up with my resultz in the next coupla weeks.

ml
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Addict

Keep it comin', brother; keep it comin'!

Time and info allowing, of course.

Thanks for the reporting
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

Vince sent me a 5.0 pre a few weeks ago and it's just been sitting here. I was planning to use it on my mono garage chamber 'verb for the two weeks of mixing I was doing but the chamber didn't work out too well for this project. I did take it out last week to a show I was doing FOH for. The band wanted a simple DAT recording so I threw up an an Oktava MC012 with a hypercardiod capsule and used the mix outs on the 5.0 to feed the left and right input of DAT deck. Not much to say about it there, seemed kinda neutral and the sweepable high pass was nice. I'll have more to say in the new future I hope. Muddy, you got any drum tracking coming up? Maybe we could hook up and try them as a stereo pair on OH's.

BTW, the ASC rocks. One of mine is serial number 70 or 77 or something. What a great EQ.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search