The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Q for Mike Tholen....
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Nut

Q for Mike Tholen....

Do you remember what mic Al jourgensen used for vocals on Psalm 69 and Filth Pig? What's your opinion on Animositisomina? Thanx.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

usually a 47 in the control room.
at the console with every one in the room wearing headphones.
you couldn't be in the room without them!tutt

I haven't heard the new record.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Mike, I didn't know that you did work for ministry. What other Industrial/Electronic Metalesquewhatever bands have you worked for? Have you always done "programming" or did you do engineering work also?
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Nut

My advice is listen to it. Very bad in my opinion. There's alot of clipping that couldnt possibly have been done on purpose. Psalm 69 was a school of engineering in itself. Im not just saying that to blow smoke up yer ass. I grew up on Ministry.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
. Psalm 69 was a school of engineering in itself. Im not just saying that to blow smoke up yer ass. I grew up on Ministry.
Amen.
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Nut

Wait a minute. Lemme get this traight, Al did his vox IN the control room AT the console?!?!?! No vocal boothe? Talk about control freaks.
Old 31st March 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

It's Ogilvie's preferred way of tracking vox. He did the same at our studio as well.
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

I've worked with a few artists who prefer to sing in the control room with headphones. I don't mind it at all and it usually helps communication.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

that was the exact reason for that way of tracking vocals.

Al literally chased a former engineer after he ****ed a punch up from the live room into the control room around the console a few times out the door down the hall through the lobby outside the engineer got into his car and Al jumped on top of his hood and was screaming at him to get his pussy ass out of the car and...

so yeah we always did vocals in the control room so Al wouldn't have a problem catching you if you ****ed up.tutt
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Old 1st April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
Al literally chased a former engineer after he ****ed a punch up from the live room into the control room around the console a few times out the door down the hall through the lobby outside the engineer got into his car and Al jumped on top of his hood and was screaming at him to get his pussy ass out of the car and...
Sounds a little bit like one other artist I've worked with...
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

care to share, Jay?
tell us about your psycho artist friend.
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Addict

I suspect it may the vocalist of a certain 'krishna-core' outfit who shall remain nameless...

unless Jay cares to spill the beans....

- jon
Old 2nd April 2003
Old 3rd April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics
I suspect it may the vocalist of a certain 'krishna-core' outfit who shall remain nameless...

unless Jay cares to spill the beans....
Not in public. Maybe over a drink or something. I'll say this, he is/was a mutal client of me and Slippy. But, he kinda got pissed when I wouldn't give him copies of the mixes because he owed me about $1500. I told him that if he either paid up or got me a PO# from the label I'd hand deliver them to wherever whenever. That record never did see the light of day on that label, I wonder why... No seriously I really do.
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Nut

Some dude who runs a studio here in LA, was talking about clients not paying up and ****. Does that kinda thing happen often?INMHO, they should pay everything up front... would save a lot of trouble, and bring peace of mind.
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
Some dude who runs a studio here in LA, was talking about clients not paying up and ****. Does that kinda thing happen often?INMHO, they should pay everything up front... would save a lot of trouble, and bring peace of mind.
Thats why Jay held the mixes ransom.. It's all we got. read Chris Stones book, "recording for profit" where he talks abotu the old days that record plant when he would take tapes home and hide em under his kids bed with some labels.n paying up front is a nice idea, but the labels and artists know that is all they got..

The other thing that I seriously reccomend is not to break that policy with "friends". Thats about as volitile a situation as a one noght stand with your buddys little sister.
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Maniac

man... thats magnum cro-cock! I hartdly believe that story. heh heh heh
Old 5th April 2003
One with big hooves

Actually, said client owed about $1000 going into the mixesand $1500 post mixing. We were going to mix at a friends place rather then my joint for a bunch of reasons. He did give me $1K in advance of the dates but I took that $1K and used it to pay him rather then paying off my debt. I never ever let anything out that's usable unless the bill was paid in full or I have a PO# from a label. I think I told Slippy the whole story, it's kinda mind numbing how it went down. He got a check from the label with MORE then enough money to finish the whole record, let alone the 6 or 7 songs they wanted. He had a check for $9500 and we planned on using $3500 to finish the 7 tunes. Where the hell did the cash go? I know how much the check was for because the label had someone run it out to the studio. Like I said, I'd love to know what happened. Maybe I'll ask Slippy the next time I see him, he's done a few rekkid's for that label.

If you've ever seen Boogie Nights I love that scene with Dirk Diggler in the studio when he's trying to get the tapes. That's not a MP, that's a YP.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search