The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In praise of the Massey CT4 Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

I've been enjoying it on my bass DI tracks recently.

Massey Rules x10
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Head

The L2007 is MILES ahead of anything else, I use it all over my sessions, drum mixes, pianos, everything. It's amazing for getting everything radio-ready.

Wishlist - I'd love to see an RBass style Massey plugin, that'd make my year!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

For me it's the c4, the l2007 and the deesser. Every single of his plugs rules!
Tamas Dragon
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for the CT4 love. I use it a lot when mixing. Tapehead rules too.

and +1 on the De:Esser love as well ... It's really really good. I use it in M-S for mastering, and it's great in a mix setting: everything from vocals (duh) to hashy overheads, and string-squeaky acoustic guitar.

Steve Massey is goooooood. And seriously, even if these plugins cost a lot more, they'd still get the raves (though that's not a suggestion, Steve), as they're not merely a "good for the money" thing, they're good, by any measure.

-dave
Old 25th April 2009
Gear nut

i've been testing out the demos... do you guys know if the registered versions have a "bypass" feature? ..just wondering.
Old 25th April 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rey View Post
i've been testing out the demos... do you guys know if the registered versions have a "bypass" feature? ..just wondering.
Yeah, I think that is the limitation of the demo feature.
Old 25th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Well, the CT4 definitely goes on all my ITB mixes, and it's a great tool and a bargain for the money, but aren't you guys just being a little too effusive with the praise?

I mean, it's all right, but THAT good? Nah.
Got to be different guy?

I've never found praise to be something I might be afraid to run out of.
Old 25th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rey View Post
Yes. It's a limitation of the demo.
Old 26th April 2009
Gear nut

awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me. i'm definitely goin' to invest in some massey plugins. the delay and compressor are going to be a great addition to my arsenal of plugins.
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

IMO, what makes the CT4 so great is the sound (duh), simple operation, price point, and no dongle operation. I wish more plugs were like this. It does one thing real well, and is easy-to-own partly due to the available demo versions.

I know we've already got quite a few EQ plugs, but I would love to see a Massey "console style" EQ plug........ and a simple auto-panner, plate reverb, PCM42 type delay.......
Old 26th April 2009
Gear nut

the CT4 is a fantastic plugin, so is the deEsser, all massey plugins rock and the price is just great... love it thumbsup
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the CT4 definitely goes on all my ITB mixes

Good enough to go on ALL of your mixes, but not good enough to praise for that?

What does it have to be/do for you to praise it then?

Should it give you a blowjob while mixing?

Hmmm actually... steve, any chance of an update?
Old 26th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I know we've already got quite a few EQ plugs, but I would love to see a Massey "console style" EQ plug........
Me too. Never understood why he made the EQ so limited.

As for the auto-panner:

TL AutoPan

I use this on every mix I do and it's free. Ridiculous.

I'd like to see Massey do an SSL style 2 buss compressor. The CT4 works nicely on the buss though.
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Jack View Post
I don't think I could mix without CT4 and Tapehead.
Awesome plugs.
i'm starting to get this way too, and I use the L2007 on my drum busses... sounds mint!
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

I am a %100 supporter of Mr. Massey and his work.
So, just wanted to contribute my post.
Of the whole plugin package THC is probably the one I use the least, largely due to the very specific character of it. The rest, however, are utilized in almost every session.
Thank you! And, keep up the great work Mr. Massey!
p.
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Me too. Never understood why he made the EQ so limited.

As for the auto-panner:

TL AutoPan

I use this on every mix I do and it's free. Ridiculous.
Woah! How did I miss that!. Thankyou sir!
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
True! I missed it too (until now), and such a useful thing!

Thanks!

p.
Old 26th April 2009
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
True! I missed it too (until now), and such a useful thing!

Thanks!

p.
I never felt the need for auto-pan, I usually just draw the automation. What on and how do you use auto-pan.
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

I'm an avid user of L2007, TapeHead and De:Esser and have been for a couple of years now. I'm very interested in exploring further into Mr Massey's collection but some questions first:

HOW WOULD YOU CHARACTERISE THE CT4?

I mean, is it spitty and dirty or smooth and transparent?
Old 27th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
I never felt the need for auto-pan, I usually just draw the automation. What on and how do you use auto-pan.
I do a fir amount of automation drawing myself, but having this plug which will quickly and easily do this for you will be great. I just tried it very briefly after downloading, and it seems to use very little CPU, is easy to use, and it offers some really interesting functionality: like an automatic pan that responds to the envelope of the sound file (changing the pan setting in relation to volume)... doing something like this by hand would be crazy... I can imagine plenty experimental possibilities. ;-)
p.
Old 27th April 2009
Lives for gear

CT4 Compressor, L2007 limiter and TapeHead. Pretty much use at least one of these on every mix. Simple, clean and effective.
Old 27th April 2009
Gear Head

Massey plugins sound great and are easy to use. +1 on the console style EQ, I would get that in a second. I like the vt3 but, it would be nice to have more options. Oh yeah, Hi and lo pass filters on the plug as well please
Old 27th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
I do a fir amount of automation drawing myself, but having this plug which will quickly and easily do this for you will be great. I just tried it very briefly after downloading, and it seems to use very little CPU, is easy to use, and it offers some really interesting functionality: like an automatic pan that responds to the envelope of the sound file (changing the pan setting in relation to volume)... doing something like this by hand would be crazy... I can imagine plenty experimental possibilities. ;-)
p.
Me too. I always drew it in but it was a PITA to try out each division. Plus with this thing you could decide how wide it goes. Also a PITA with automation.

But the clincher for me is NOT having it lock to tempo. Just play with the tempo by feel.

Try that with automation.
Old 27th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Me too. I always drew it in but it was a PITA to try out each division. Plus with this thing you could decide how wide it goes. Also a PITA with automation.

But the clincher for me is NOT having it lock to tempo. Just play with the tempo by feel.

Try that with automation.
All true. It simply makes all these tasks easier and faster, AND offers some new possibilities.
I know I will be using it a lot.
p.
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the CT4 definitely goes on all my ITB mixes, and it's a great tool and a bargain for the money, but aren't you guys just being a little too effusive with the praise?

I tried to use it the other day and it just didn't work. I've actually never ended up using it. The sound honestly doesn't blow me away but I'm sure it's useful for others.
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Me too! I missed the fact that it's free--wow, a new toy to play with for the next few days!
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdrummer80 View Post
Massey plugins sound great and are easy to use. +1 on the console style EQ, I would get that in a second. I like the vt3 but, it would be nice to have more options. Oh yeah, Hi and lo pass filters on the plug as well please
Massey, there's a market for your EQ a la console style!!! Could you comment on this?
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Good enough to go on ALL of your mixes, but not good enough to praise for that?

What does it have to be/do for you to praise it then?

Should it give you a blowjob while mixing?

Hmmm actually... steve, any chance of an update?
On all my ITB mixes, yes. So is the stock digi Comp 3, which I use more than the CT4, but I'm not going to type paragraphs praising it either.

It's a quality plugin, and there is probably no better deal for the $$, but it's not more than that. Just seems like you guys are hyping it up more than you need to.
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

It's a quality plugin, and there is probably no better deal for the $$, but it's not more than that. Just seems like you guys are hyping it up more than you need to.
We don't need to hype it all. We want to.
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Fair enough, I guess you're right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search