The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock Vocals?????
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Nut

Rock Vocals?????

I'm fairly happy with my dry sound but what are some good techniques for getting them sounding cool. I've tried using some delay, reverb, and chorus in combination and alone in moderation and liberally. It just doesn't seem to add much or it is way too much. Do you double track a lot? Sorry for such a noob question. I did a search but the words 'rock' and 'vocals' appear in almost every thread.
Old 15th June 2005
an 1176 with "all" ratio... =)
Old 15th June 2005
When you say "cool" do you mean like the radio?

If so, multiple takes are very common.
And in many cases more than 2.

Try it.

D
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

describe what you're working with: ie. what's the playback source, signal chain, blah, blah....
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Sm57 into an "iron" pre?

Jo
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Depends on what your are going for...

I agree with the 1176, but not always all buttons in... I actually go for mulitple compressors and have each doing very little to create a nice round (in an edgy way) in-your-face vibe.

Compressors: Pendulum Vari-Mu=>1176=>Atomic Squeezebox

...is my current favorite go to chain.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I'm fairly happy with my dry sound but what are some good techniques for getting them sounding cool. I've tried using some delay, reverb, and chorus in combination and alone in moderation and liberally. It just doesn't seem to add much or it is way too much. Do you double track a lot? Sorry for such a noob question. I did a search but the words 'rock' and 'vocals' appear in almost every thread.
What you are hearing is the result of cheap effects.

My biggest problem with plugin reverb is that it always sounds worse the more you use it.

Good Hardware boxes let you use tons of it without losing any clarity.

Listen to Celine Dion. She uses tons of it while keeping her voice right their.

Buy or rent a 480 or KSP-8 and hear the difference.

Delays never have the same problem for me but I do prefer real PCM 42s or 41s

Chorus always sounds horrible with plugins.

Try TC2290.

Good Luck
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

Just my opinion

I record through a lighter comp/limiter setting to prevent clipping and then try different real time comps when mixing. I almost always revert to the Waves R-Compressor. When I need more gain and "in your face," the Waves L1 is a great thing.

Doubling is good for power but depending on what type of sound you're going for, it's gotta be RIGHT ON to sound good. Sometimes when I double, I will pan both tracks dead center, and other times I will pan them opposite each other by the same degree.

I'm not a big fan of reverb on vocals for the most part, unless the song is ambient and has room to breathe. I do like subtle vintage type delays occasionally, but I tend to go mostly dry, doubling in spots (tripling at times), and adding effects in certain places. A SLIGHT chorus can also be good to thicken the sound but has the potential of getting messy in the mix depending on what else is going on. I do like the BlueTubes liquid chorus, which I set pretty subtly, and put a slight auto-pan sweep sometimes, where it moves slowly 20 degrees from center in each direction, where the speed and amount of phase/chorus can be set.

You can't go wrong with Waves plugins. Their doubler is often very good and actually can sound like real doubling. I am VERY anti-autotune (with the exception of those 2 or 3 harmony notes you didn't quite catch until far into the mixing process, and remarkably, very good for perfecting intonation on a bassline), so a slight modulation effect on vox can definitely smooth out pitch if the singer has slight human imperfections.

nowadays, most of the crap on the radio is doubled, at least, and usually at least one of the tracks is auto-tuned. Again, not a fan when it sounds robotic. If you are going for a professional, polished vocal recording, make sure to make every syllable and vibrato deliberate so when you double, you know exactly what to do. If not, then do the early 90's "sloppy on purpose" thing.

Listen to Nirvana's nevermind on headphones and you will hear A LOT of vocal doubling. Butch Vig did an amazing job of polishing Kurt Cobain just enough without taking away too much raw edge. It's a fine line. And the bottom line....experiment, experiment, experment!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search