The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LTD-1 and 1073,same parts?
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

LTD-1 and 1073,same parts?

from the ltd-1 brochure;

"The LTD-1 is a Neve 1073 module that has been remade using the same build techniques and parts used in the original manufacture of the modules.
"The audio circuit features original Neve transformers and class A audio card that we get from disassembled consoles. This helps ensure that the sound is all 1073."

i just got 2 ltd-1's and i took the top cover off to have a look inside and all of the circut boards inside were from old neve modules and they said neve on them.

the transformers in the ltd's are carnhills.

werent the transformers in the neves marinar?

i know marinar is no more so what is neve using for the dpa?

just curious.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

That sounds like a G Tanner question
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=maskedman72]
"The audio circuit features original Neve transformers"

[QUOTE]

the above quote is what i am wondering about most.

since marinar is no longer making transformers,im wondering how the above is possable.

mabyee the ams re-issues have carnhills?
Old 15th June 2005
Take a better look at those cards.

Do they say "Neve" or do they say "eve"

I had an ltd-2 and it had those little green xfrmers like a neve and they appeared to be original as they looked old and as if they had been installed before.
So did 2 of the 3 cards in the unit.
The third was a direct copy of the Neve layout. The only change made it appears was when the builder used/stole the Neve layout, they just scratched out the "N" in Neve and had the boards made.
I guess there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Best of luck!

David
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=maskedman72][QUOTE=maskedman72]
"The audio circuit features original Neve transformers"

Quote:

the above quote is what i am wondering about most.

since marinar is no longer making transformers,im wondering how the above is possable.

mabyee the ams re-issues have carnhills?
Interesting..makes me wonder as well.I've used some older LTD's and they sounded Great!

I've heard 2 completely opposing transformer stories.
one story goes that neve have a special separate spec for their reissue trannies made at Carnill that no other clone builders can get..
but then I've heard directly from one of the leading clone guy's that that's bull**** and showed me a letter from Carnill stating that ain't the case..they're all the same..
who the F**** knows ..it would make sense that the current ltd's have a newer tranny ..after all they only made so many originals, right?

you could always just call Wade at chandler I suppose.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch
Take a better look at those cards.

Do they say "Neve" or do they say "eve"

I had an ltd-2 and it had those little green xfrmers like a neve and they appeared to be original as they looked old and as if they had been installed before.
So did 2 of the 3 cards in the unit.
The third was a direct copy of the Neve layout. The only change made it appears was when the builder used/stole the Neve layout, they just scratched out the "N" in Neve and had the boards made.
I guess there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Best of luck!

David

all of the boards in both of my units clearly say neve in large letters. the boards look like they were used before for shure.

i almost **** when i saw that. i wasnt expecting that at all.

thanks for the info roundbadge.

i think ill call wade just to hear what he has to say about it.
Old 16th June 2005
member no 666

AMS/Neve do have their own 1166 transformer built to their specifications that is exclusive to them... however, Chandler does indeed use a ton of old stock parts... last year I sold several thousand dollars worth of Marinair and St. Ives transformers to Chandler [as in over the UPS weight limit if they had all been in one box]... other than that, I've never opened any of their units.

There have been some discussions about other transformer suppliers... but that could be for new [as in not yet released] product.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search