The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good deal on TG2??
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Good deal on TG2??

I have a chance to pick up a TG2 for $1500. PS included.

I know the most action it's seen is...
Taken out, put on table, looked at, put away.
It's new... how new? Not sure...

If it's a (Abbey Road) newer one, Definitely a no brainer.
If it's an older model is this a good deal?
I'm a little confused on prices.
I couldn't find any on ebay, but what's killing me is...
Price between new vs old models, PS extra/included.
Some dealers have pictures of the old ones, with the price of a new one.
Yeah, there may be an updated description... sometimes not...

So, I figure I'll google it...
Well, the search engines haven't caught up to the new info yet.
The google blurb reads $1850. Click the link...
Magically the price goes to $2130.

My guess is $1850 = old model w/PS???
Does this sound about right?

Andrew
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

Andrew..That is indeed a good price for a new one thumbsup
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
I couldn't find any on ebay
Probably the best advertising there is, who would sell a TG-2?
It's a fantastic pre.
DEFINITELY go for the newer version, the faceplate on the older one is not securely attached and the buttons spell 'Toy'......no complaints about the sound though.......

Get it while you can!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys.
My plan is to pick it up Thursday, but....

I just heard there is a studio selling a bunch of gear in Philly.
Naturally, I'm gonna have to check it out.
My friend didn't know the name (figures) but he knew the street.
I may drive up there today and see what I can find

Any Philadelphia slutz know of a studio on American st, off Spring Garden, behind Finnigans Wake?

Andrew
Old 15th June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Buy it. That price is really good especially since Chandler just raised the price $200 (new price includes impedence option that costs $200 anyway). If you check with Chandler on the serial number they can tell you how old it is. You might have to get the newer thicker faceplate to make it more sturdy. It took all of about 10 minutes to change it myself. Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it.
heh heh heh
I have every intention of buying it, although I don't exactly need it right now. There are a few pieces I could use first. EQ, comp, ribbon. I'll have to check out this studio today.

Man, when it rains it pours. When I'm looking for something, I can't find it. As soon as I find it, more stuff I want comes my way... Sad story, I know.
Quote:
Any Philadelphia slutz know of a studio on American st, off Spring Garden, behind Finnigans Wake?
I'm starting a new thread on this one....
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...228#post346228
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

Andrew ..what kind of ribbons are you looking for?
Old 15th June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=drmmrboy]
Man, when it rains it pours. When I'm looking for something, I can't find it. As soon as I find it, more stuff I want comes my way... Sad story, I know.
I know it. Just bought a distressor then oops, a BLUE lollipop capsule. Oh yeah, a Ludwig drum kit on order. All of a sudden a very cool Gates comp for sale in the classifieds but I ran out of cash. I spend the dough and all the stuff I could not find when I had the money comes up for sale when I have spent the available cash. Good thing I don't have a wife or I would be sleeping on the couch.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=Colin Gaucher]
Quote:
I know it. Just bought a distressor then oops, a BLUE lollipop capsule. Oh yeah, a Ludwig drum kit on order. All of a sudden a very cool Gates comp for sale in the classifieds but I ran out of cash. I spend the dough and all the stuff I could not find when I had the money comes up for sale when I have spent the available cash. Good thing I don't have a wife or I would be sleeping on the couch.
Yeah Colin,Feel ya.
I'm about 15 g's in, this month alone!
Tama bell Brass,4 new comp's,MPassive,2 verbs,6 new ribbons,3 other EQ's and 2 mixers on the way
God help us..
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Yeah Colin,Feel ya.
I'm about 15 g's in, this month alone!
Tama bell Brass,4 new comp's,MPassive,2 verbs,6 new ribbons,3 other EQ's and 2 mixers on the way
God help us..
Badge, you high priced fokker!
You are the Heidi Fleiss of GS!!! heh

I'm more like HBO's Hookers at the point kinda GS. DBX 160X, pair of 414's... Oooh, don't forget that headphone amp, and Mopads... Oh well, back out to my corner. I can still smile if I get that TG2, or something from the Philly studio. Or... maybe a ribbon or 2?

I'll PM you on the ribbons.

Andrew
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Guru

The TG rocks. thumbsup
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Probably the best advertising there is, who would sell a TG-2?
It's a fantastic pre.
DEFINITELY go for the newer version, the faceplate on the older one is not securely attached and the buttons spell 'Toy'......no complaints about the sound though.......

Get it while you can!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
That's shocking that the old one was apparently even worse than the new one - I just got a TG2 (shipped straight from the factory) last month and whenever I pull the 1/4" plug out of the DI input on the front, the whole faceplate flexes. And the buttons suck too - some of the buttons have to be pushed in just the right spot or they don't change positions. When I first opened the box and set the TG2 on a level surface, I found the chassis isn't level. I have it racked now, so it's not a big deal, but I hope Wade & co. improve the box and controls. I do agree - no complaints about the sound.

-Rick
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Chandler in the house!

I picked up the TG2 today! It's an Abbey Road!
Haven't used it yet. I'm getting there. I just had to shout about it.
I'm brewing some coffee, reading the paperwork, looking at it...
kinda like this

OK. Coffee's done. heh

Andrew
Old 16th June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=RoundBadge]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Tama bell Brass

I have a 6.5x14 that I am trying to sell. I was advertising it in the slutz classifieds, but no one showed any interest, so I gave up. I also have a rocket shells 6x14 with die cast hoops for sale if interested.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknroll
That's shocking that the old one was apparently even worse than the new one - I just got a TG2 (shipped straight from the factory) last month and whenever I pull the 1/4" plug out of the DI input on the front, the whole faceplate flexes. And the buttons suck too - some of the buttons have to be pushed in just the right spot or they don't change positions. When I first opened the box and set the TG2 on a level surface, I found the chassis isn't level. I have it racked now, so it's not a big deal, but I hope Wade & co. improve the box and controls. I do agree - no complaints about the sound.
It's funny you mention this. Mine isn't level either, but I racked it and forgot about it... My faceplate flexes also. It could be stronger or screw in the middle. If they're making a stronger faceplate, I'm all about it... My buttons are fine. I'm not too worried about them as long as the switches behind them are solid.

I have (2) 70's Strats with 3 bolt necks.
Yeah, they should have been 4 bolt.
But they play great, sound great, and aren't going anywhere.
Ya know what I mean?

So far I'm diggin this amp. I've had it one day and I'm all heh heh !

Andrew

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search