The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mastering & mixdown for new artist
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

mastering & mixdown for new artist

spent the last 3months making this album with an incredible young female artist. we are finishing the final rough mixes (14songs). She will be heard by all the major players in the record biz over the next couple of weeks. material has influences of dido, john mayer, sting and some pop classical overtones. the instrumentation/production is very organic, real instruments with top players.

tracks were recorded with Neves, LA2A, neuman mics. recorder is Ptools HD192 24bit/48k into Tubetech SSA analog summing 16tracks back into Protools. Tyring to get the most out of this setup. Thinking of renting top quality AD/DA converter (Lavry, UAD2192) to bounce back into Protools or to a Masterlink. My clock is Apogee Big Ben.

Question is what is a great AD/DA converter to rent in Los Angeles to go from Tubetech into Protools or Masterlink? Is it necessary? Also, I will need to do some mastering. For rough mixes, is it worth going to mastering house? The Grundman types are charging several thousand, not sure I need that right now. Just need to get levels similar and some minor compressing. Any recommendations for renting a great 2ch stereo buss compressor for mastering in the home studio with this type of music? The forums I've read have made me stay away from L2 type plugins.

Open to suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

any recommendations for mastering eng in Los Angeles that their books rates are more affordable than the bernie grundman type places?
Old 15th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Dave Collins

If you can rent a great comp and eq why don't you rent a pair of great ears?
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

hedd is what i liked and the alan smart comp , too bad i am broke

looks like you have all the gear already , maybe u better invest in an expert ?
renting gear is a cool idea , if u dont know the gear ... its kinda hard to decide what you r gonna do with it .

there are some GREAT mastering engs in here . BB ( brad blackwood ) is doing a nice & professional job .

good luck !
Old 15th June 2005
One with big hooves

If you have top players and top songs, get some top ears to do the final polish and finish it off. Getting a solid mix AE that knows the genre you're working in will make a bigger difference then a new piece of gear. Other then that, yeah...any of the converters you mentioned will be a huge step up from the internal Masterlink or PT converters.

As for mastering, Brad Blackwood is doing great work that doesn't cost as much as a new car. I swear...he makes my mixes sound like music.
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

Yea, Nothing will replace a great mastering engineer with proper ears and a obviously a nice room... however if you need to polish off the material and create a glossy/finished sounding mix that will impress the suites, Smoothen out and glue together ur mix'es by using some slight compression with some very very good gear... Manley optical compressors are good for this.. but again it wont replace a thorough mastering job, but its better than an L2 type scenario, plus if u got a solid mix done (no phase probs etc..) semi-mastering ur self shouldnt be too much to handle...
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Brad Blackwood

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search