The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ORBAN EQ ?!
Old 28th March 2003
ORBAN EQ ?!

Hi There,

R these units NE good?! I don't know them, but I have to work in a studio next week where these two Orbans (together with a Focusrite Red and a Pultec) are the only outbourd eq's. So I wanne know their flavours & useability...?!
  • Orban Stereo Equaliser 642 B
  • Orban Stereo Equaliser 674 A

ThanX in advance
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Addict

I've got a 674A, and I like it. It's not a "character" piece like a Pultec, but it's very usable for normal tweaks--kind of like a flexible, expanded console EQ.
Old 29th March 2003
One with big hooves

I have a 622B and that's really the only Orban EQ I've ever used. I spent some time with a paragraphic once and it had the same vibe as the 622. It's not the cleanest thing in the world but it's entirely usable. I usually use it on things where I need control over the low-end and low mids. It's also my cleint "**** around" EQ. If someone hears something that bugs them I'll patch it into the offending channel and let them twist the knobs until they hear what they want. I actually mastered a project with one about two years ago because it was all I had, I listened to it last night and it still doesn't sound that bad. But, I would've used the Summit Pultec or the Dakings or something if I had them around.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Head

Jay,

When you say its not the cleanest thing in the world, what kind of "unclean" do you mean?

A coolish or COULD be kind or a Mackie kind of "unclean"?

heylow
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

Nah, it's not like a Wackie unclean. Tell me if this makes sense, the Speck ASC is pretty clean, though a GML 8200 is MUCH cleaner. Anyway, the ASC is clean enough that if I'm doing a multi-track transfer from analog to digital and I need to bump a track up or down a few dB I'll patch it in on bypass and use the level control. The Orban isn't clean enough for that. I guess it's that I can hear it when it's in the path but in bypass. It's not the end of the world, but it ain't a stright wire either. It's still a good EQ no matter how you slice it.
Old 31st March 2003
Gear Head

Ah.....cool.....

Gotcha.

Thanks!

heylow
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

No problem.
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Head

Well this is a real late reply post, but for those of you who find this post later, I hope you find my reply informative.

The 642 is MUCH cleaner the 622, and the 642B, the black face version, not the blue, is even beyond it.

I use my 642 much more than my CP-10 (my roomate likes to use the Meyer for his DJ rig).

In my book, the fine-frequency knobs (labeled ''vernier'') should be present on all parametrics, with knobs smaller than a Urei 565!
This feature is why I'm quite sure it's why I choose it over the CP-10 almost all the time.
Being able to find the true ''sweet spot'' is a beautiful thing.
I'm sure you've likely tried to compensate for a not-so-perfect aural situation while micing female vocals, and choose to eq it. I recall often touching the knob so slightly, to try to make a very small incremental change, and the knob always moves too far.
-->Problem solved!!!<---

The only EQ I own, that I like the ''sound'' of more, is my Sony MU-E041's.
I've got four in a rack with an API 3124, that sound real good.

Where this problem applies to digital equalization, is the math. Most digital eq's are only adjustable with the divisions of it's sample rate. You can get closer than many analogue units but still not as perfect as the 642.

Old 22nd May 2009
Orban EQ's tend to be noisy if you boost HF EQ. That is because the order of filters in this series connected EQ design. The hf section is last in the chain so any noise is boosted by the HF EQ.

642's can overcome that by the use of low noise opamps and clever users can remove the 4 cards and reverse the order. That way the HF EQ comes first and noise is lowered during boost.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Orban EQ's tend to be noisy if you boost HF EQ. That is because the order of filters in this series connected EQ design. The hf section is last in the chain so any noise is boosted by the HF EQ.

642's can overcome that by the use of low noise opamps and clever users can remove the 4 cards and reverse the order. That way the HF EQ comes first and noise is lowered during boost.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I have the blue-faced 642B, and Jim has performed the mods which he describes here. Noise is no problem. But, it's a grainy-sounding unit with very restricted headroom. Clips easily, and sounds awful when clipped. You have to be very careful with your gain staging to get good use from it.

(Just want to emphasize that the graininess and lack of headroom are not related to Jim's mods. Was always like this. Jim's mods made it quieter.)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear