The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fatman 2 Mic Pre/Compressor-Please help!
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear
Fatman 2 Mic Pre/Compressor-Please help!

anyone ever used one? My band and I just got started assembling a meager home studio setup with a MOTU 896 into a G4. A pro engineer we have worked with in the past is sort of helping us get it all together a bit, and has recommended a pair of HHB Fatman 2 Mic pre's/compressors....He said he had heard good things about them for the price, I mean I'm sure they are by no means the greatest pre's in the world, but are they nice? We were hoping to find a pair of pre's with a real warm, thick, gooey character for some good vocals and things, and were hoping to run our digital mixes thru the pair of pre's to 'warm' and thicken them up a bit....

I think the original Fatman 2's were by TL Audio, now run by HHB? Anyone have any experience with these? How is the compressor? The biggest advantage to these peices to me, in terms of specs on paper at least, is that we could knock out some decent outboard pre's and compressors all in one swoop. If you have any other suggestions, I would say, realistically, we are on about a $1000 +/- dollar budget for some outboard pre's and compressors. We are no audiophiles, but we do appreciate nice, thick, and UNIQUE sound..any help would be VERY appreciated....thanks in advance.

halcyo
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear
anyone? I feel like no one cares!

this is the second time I have gone 'replyless' :(

halcyo
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry man... People can't really respond on products they haven't tried. The FATMAN looks cool and seems to be a good value, if they are useable. I'm not sure I understand running a 2 mix at line level into a mic pre (which will need to be matched up) to make it sound "warm" (aka, DULL). Perhaps line into the Fatman compressor, but not into the mic pre.

With a $1,000 budget, I'd suggest a Sytek MPX-4A mic pre with the Burr Brown, or J Fet mod on 2 channels. This way you can have 2 stock channels and two mod'ed (usually refered to as silky) channels. They run around $700, and are one of the better values in my rack of pre's. The RNC should cover you in the compression department for about $175 a unit. Both of these units can sit next to units 3 times the price. That's about the best I can do without trying the Fatman out, knowing the style of music you are doing, and the sound you want to capture.
Old 29th March 2003
One with big hooves

Never tried one. I used to own a TL Audio mic pre that wasn't too bad but I sold it when I bought the Trident because it didn't sound better then the console, just different. $1000 is a light budget for world class stuff, especially if you want stereo. $1000 per channel is a different story. Maybe the FMR stuff, a few RNC's and an RNP. I also have a Speck mic pre here which is under $1K but it's mono. I haven't really tried it yet because I've been mixing since it got here. I should have some thoughts on it by the middle or end of next month.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear
thanks guys, I will check out the Sytek for sure....Could you give me some additional info on the mods as well?

halcyo
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

fatman is an effectbox ;-), if you want it dirty you can have it. It has strong color in the mids. Low bass goes away a bit as well as air.

I can't say FAT or Ivory series sound open.

We tried FAT2 against new spirit SX mixer pres and Neve console pres. SX was no bad compared to the neve, but Fat2 lost something, certainly it was not fat, it was midrangey and there was something missing (cant say what).

However I use FAT1 as DI box, because I have nothing better. The results are useful, but not stunning. Try something else.

HHB only distributes TL Audio gear painted with different colour.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Holy crap. There's one in recycler for $250. http://music.recycler.com/asp/AdDeta...sBAC=310&bSQ=0 You might wanna ask if they'll ship.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear