The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Click or No Click for Rock?
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Like most things , it depends.

I use a click most of the time. If they are awesome musicians with good internal clocks, and are very tight together, then there's no need.

The click becomes extremely helpful if you starting running midi instruments and such. makes life 110% easier.

Also though, with things like Elastic Audio, playing to the click again helps you fix up any nasty timing issues with drums, bass, or whatever else.

But again, if the band is tighter than a clam's backside, forget the click. Let 'em rock.
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmmaster View Post
judging from some of the repiles in this thread some of you are non musician engineers or just recording 15 year olds that cant play. The implication that proper musicians cant overdub unless the drummer recorded to a click makes me laugh............i've said it once and i'll say it again. How do you explain the classic records from the 60s and 70s then?
metronome I guess.
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer View Post
metronome I guess.
"The click track was a godsend in the studio -- for producers and control freaks that is. Once everything was at an even tempo it was much easier, though not less time consuming, to 'spin in' the backing vocals/guitar riff/horns and so on. As much time as you liked could be spent having the drummer play until that 'perfect take' was achieved. For once the misery was shared throughout the band as one after another they took their turn. The advent of sequencing software was the icing on the cake.

I read an interview a few years ago with some sampling DJ-type guy who'd been working on cutting up some James Brown material. He was amazed by the variation in the tempo of the song. "Why it varies by up to 5bpm!" That perhaps the funkiest, tightest, most pelvic band ever, varied their pace did not deter this guy from meticulously time-stretching every section until they all fit to 120bpm. I was listening to Led Zeppelin the other day and in particular to John Bonham's playing. Everyone seems happy to proclaim him an 'all-time great' and/or sample him like mad. But go back and listen to him. His playing is a pleasure but he simply couldn't play like that today in mainstream music. It's not allowed anymore. "

SOUNDING OFF

Old 17th December 2008
Gear Maniac

i pretty much ask the band what they want to do. sometimes a click makes them uncomfortable. so no click no way. sometimes they want to be sure the tempo is spot-on. and if i think we need to edit a lot then i'll suggest trying a click. I don't really work with top session players though.
but if we're going for a real "rock and roll" vibe i believe in trying to avoid using a click on most of the material they are comfortable with. Just clicking everything automatically sucks. You may ROCK but you're gonna lose that ROLL
📝 Reply