The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus ADL 700 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 22nd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff71177 View Post
Musiclab ever do the a/b thing?
yes I did, I prefer the 600 to the 700. I didn't care for the compressor or eq and I didn't like what happened to the signal when you went through the whole channel strip. It's a shame, the 600 is wonderful I think, and Presonus knows how to make a decent compressor, I still use some ACP 88's for certain things, but something not great happened in that signal chain to me.
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear
Crap. I've been waiting to buy a 600.

I hope they have a mkii coming
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

I was in the control room of a very prominent engineer / mixer that had his face on many Presonus ADL 600 adverts. Walked in his room, there it was in a road rack. Actually, 2 -600's in the rack! I, giving myself little faith in Presonus and the high end asked him, "do you really use the 600 that often?" He said, "yep, that's why I have 2 everywhere I go". I was surprised to see them, let alone hear that answer. So, the 600 is alive and well in big shiny SSL9k rooms......whatever that means.
JJ
Old 20th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
I was in the control room of a very prominent engineer / mixer that had his face on many Presonus ADL 600 adverts. Walked in his room, there it was in a road rack. Actually, 2 -600's in the rack! I, giving myself little faith in Presonus and the high end asked him, "do you really use the 600 that often?" He said, "yep, that's why I have 2 everywhere I go". I was surprised to see them, let alone hear that answer. So, the 600 is alive and well in big shiny SSL9k rooms......whatever that means.
JJ
FWIW I have API's, Focusrite ISA 110's, Daking's, Fink, and Amek 9098 pre's, and an ADL 600, routinely I reach for the ADL 600 first for vocals, sax, bass, guitar, overheads. They are excellent pre's. Do an internet search on Paula Atherton. I produce her records and record them and mix them, the ADL 600 is used on her records more than any other pre I own.
Old 24th May 2016
ADL 600 has been my go-to pre for about 6 years now. No issues. Just love the sound.
Old 3rd June 2016
Here for the gear

a/b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
yes I did, I prefer the 600 to the 700. I didn't care for the compressor or eq and I didn't like what happened to the signal when you went through the whole channel strip. It's a shame, the 600 is wonderful I think, and Presonus knows how to make a decent compressor, I still use some ACP 88's for certain things, but something not great happened in that signal chain to me.
Lou, in a/b'ing the two units, did you compare them with the 700's eq and comp in bypass mode? I just need one channel, and was curious if the preamps in both units sounded the same. Nice, clean sounds on the Paula Atherton recordings, by the way.
Old 3rd June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbordy View Post
Lou, in a/b'ing the two units, did you compare them with the 700's eq and comp in bypass mode? I just need one channel, and was curious if the preamps in both units sounded the same. Nice, clean sounds on the Paula Atherton recordings, by the way.
Thanks for comment's on Paula's records. I think I did and but I don't 100% remember to be honest. I just so didn't care for the compressor especially and the eq and didn't like how sound changed compared to my ADL 600. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Fred Forsell or even Anthony DeMaria to help with that design.

To be clear, to me the sound changed as soon as you put the comp and eq in the path.

Last edited by Musiclab; 4th June 2016 at 02:23 PM..
Old 3rd June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Thanks for comment's on Paula's records. I think I did and but I don't 100% remember to be honest. I just so didn't care for the compressor especially and the eq and didn't like how sound changed compared to my ADL 600. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Fred Forsell or even Anthony DeMaria to help with that design.
Thanks for your reply. As you said earlier in the thread, If I don't like it, I can always send it back. I'm going to give it a shot, since the price is really great these days.
Old 4th June 2016
Gear Addict

I have both units (one 600 and two 700 to be precise) and the pre section sounds the same.
Small differences can be justified by tubes not being exactly the same I guess.
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

I own both (two 700s and a 600) the 700 sounds close to me, the EQ and compressor section isn't the best I've used, it's very subtle, but nothing bad sounding when engaged. It's sad to see them discontinued.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search