The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Punchy vst plugin for drums?
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Punchy vst plugin for drums?

I need some Vst plugin that makes drum tracks go "smack". I've tried several plugins like Waves, Stillwell, Voxengo but I feel they all have some sort of soft, pillow character and for this particular situation, It would be great with eq, compressor that has something more of a punchy, mean and a clear attack character? Transient designer isn't really what I'm looking for either. Any ideas?
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
I need some Vst plugin that makes drum tracks go "smack".
ask and you shall recieve.
Digidesign | Products | Products | Smack!
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Yes but I asked for VST. Looks interesting though.

Welcome to Mikael Wikman Drumstudio
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

The Oxford Dynamics is the best algorithmic one I can think of. For some analog-like flavour try Nebula.
In the end there's still nothing (yet) that sounds like high end hardware.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The Oxford Dynamics is the best algorithmic one I can think of.
I'd have to agree with both of these...
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, Oxford dynamic in Classic mode is set to emulate a DBX 160. Pretty good on drums plus you have a saturation section ( the warm section ) that can really add flavor.

If you just want something to smack severely. Audio Damage Rough Rider free compressor can be pretty dramatic

Audio Damage :: Rough Rider

-Alxi-
Old 7th December 2008

I find the sonalksis quite good for this

also check out this vid

narco
Old 8th December 2008
Try this - I hear its great on Drums.

otiumFX :: Compadre VST

I cant use it cos Im n a Mac.

Also try Blockfish - its free - and popular. Similar to a DBX apparently...(!)

digitalfishphones.com - free audio effects plugins

I also think this is alright:

Voxengo

+1 on Sonnox Dynamics. Also look at Duende....
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Sonalksis - Quality Digital Audio Software

I'd give this a try, the Sonalksis TBK3 Über Compressor
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

BLOCKFISH........it's free too!
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Sounds great! It will keep me busy for a while to try them all.

Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

oh cmon. blockfish vs stillwell? please. if u need help getting anymore smack from transient monster or the rocket u need to look elsewhere besides plugins.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

PSP Vintage Warmer or Master Comp are other all rounders for drums but I agree if transient monster, Rocket don't do it for you: you probably need to go analogue thru a distressor or some such.
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Addict

I see your link lists you have an API 3124. You should be getting a nice punchy sound with that pre. Are you using it with the pad on? I notice that when the pad is engaged, the signal loses alot of punch and smack.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

What you are looking for is the
UAD VCA-VU (which is a dbx 160VU emulation)

Really, there is no plugin comp that is half as punchy&agressive with transients. Grab a used 100.- dollar PCI UAD in your DAW and buy the VCA-VU, everything else will leave you looking for something better....except for SSL stuff maybe, it´s just a classic sound on drums, but again not as rude as the
UAD.

Rock!
Pat

ps - you could upload a drumtrack here so people with too much time can run it through their suggested plugin and send it back to you. I could help out with the VCA-VU later this week.
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
PSP Vintage Warmer or Master Comp are other all rounders for drums but I agree if transient monster, Rocket don't do it for you: you probably need to go analogue thru a distressor or some such.

+1 for psp....
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The Oxford Dynamics is the best algorithmic one I can think of. For some analog-like flavour try Nebula.

Hmm the best....
The best algorithmic are aboslutly the SSL product but they are too much expensive! The x-EQ is absolutly the best plugin EQ ever..... And the drum strip is fantastic on everywhere you put it,....on vox, drums......
I have the UAD2, i dont have the Duende but i try it and i was impressed!!!!!

There is also Merging Pyramix working platform that using the same algorithms in their EQ's and it working georgous!!!

Matt
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

For "smack", I start thinking a compressor with great command over the sound, that controls it with an iron fist yet is as transparent as possible. My vote would also be The Sonnox Dynamics. Cold and digital, a bit yes, but with an unsurpassed iron fist control over whatever you put it on.

Analog style compressors (or emulations) have this tendancy to affect the sound quality more, the harder you set it. A hard compressed snare run through an analog emulation will get smack but also get a bit dull or 'rubber'-y overall. Waves r-comp, Voxengo, Waves API, SSL are all examples of that, and it's a good thing for the wanted use. Sonnox has none of that at all, about as transparent as it gets. I like it that way, but it also makes setting the Sonnox a bit more intricate. I also like the Sonalksis compressors, but the SSL to my liking is a bit raw, biting and rock-ish.
Old 8th December 2008
learn how to use a compressor, NY-style compression, and overall mix (level-balance, frequency balance). Sample-replacement..

then work on your acoustics in the room.. monitors..

and you will find out, that itßs not a matter of the plugin-brand...

cheers
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

try colortone pro to give your drums a colored feeling...smooths transients in combination with a compressor very nice.
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Maniac

The API definitely helps a lot to give the drums some nice punch and I agree with the pad. I need to use it on snare though.
Here's a short sample of the first basic mix I did. I have couple of better versions with less compression and some clearer sound but was the only one I got in my USB memory right now.

Attached Files

GrooveSample.mp3 (455.3 KB, 2620 views)

Old 8th December 2008
faderix.. in the first post you asked for a plugin for drums.. with smack.

now you post a drumsample with API plugin..

is this a marketing gag? I dont get it..

cheers
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Maniac

It was an answer regarding earlier post about my API preamp. I put up an example and thought it might be easier to have something to relate to.

Old 8th December 2008
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
The API definitely helps a lot to give the drums some nice punch and I agree with the pad. I need to use it on snare though.
Here's a short sample of the first basic mix I did. I have couple of better versions with less compression and some clearer sound but was the only one I got in my USB memory right now.

That sample does sound like it has some punch to it already, at least on my monitors. I recommend getting a passive line attenuator, like the a designs atty or the little labs one, so you can bypass the api pad. Some people also like the shure pads.
I wouldn't rely on a compressor to solve a problem. If used correctly it can help, but used incorrectly it could create less impact or punch, and other problems.

There are alot of great plugin suggestions already listed. Alot of companies will let you demo them. Just try them out and find out what is best for you.
Best of luck.

Last edited by JordanA; 8th December 2008 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Just use parallel compression as opposed to a certain plugin.
Almost any comp plugin will do
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

Over compressing will give you that pillowy sound.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

What do you guys think of Decimort applied on the "drums group channel" ?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

and you will find out, that itßs not a matter of the plugin-brand...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

UAD Fatso. Unreal for the snare smack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search