The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stone Temple Pilots--vocal chain question
Old 7th December 2008
Stone Temple Pilots--vocal chain question

I'd like to know what was used on Scott Weiland's voice to record songs like Vasoline. Keep it to mics, pres, and other signal processing if anyone knows (heroin doesn't count as gear). Thanks gents.
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Addict
Telefunken U47 - Neve 1066 - Tube Tech CL1A
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Nut

He's used an SM7 alot over his career... and yeh through 10 series neves.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

I'd go with u47 as well.. I've heard he's owned a few and likes them on his voice.
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I'd go with u47 as well..
yes...
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Addict
I worked on 3 of those records starting with Tiny Music. The 'goto' chain that we used at Southern Tracks for most of those records was one of our 47's into a Neve with the Tube Tech. This stuff was all there during the 2nd record and was more than likely used on Vaseline. A lot of the 3rd record was recorded in a house in Santa Ynez and we shipped out our AKG C12VR for a lot of that. Most everything done in the studio was a 47.
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
I worked on 3 of those records starting with Tiny Music. The 'goto' chain that we used at Southern Tracks for most of those records was one of our 47's into a Neve with the Tube Tech. This stuff was all there during the 2nd record and was more than likely used on Vaseline. A lot of the 3rd record was recorded in a house in Santa Ynez and we shipped out our AKG C12VR for a lot of that. Most everything done in the studio was a 47.
Thanks for the info! ¨
Off topic: Do you remember the vocal mic(s) that was used in Drops Of Jupiter?
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
now hang on ryan...just because you were THERE...and WORKED ON those records....does that mean you may actually know what was REALLY used on those tracks...i mean, have you done enough mic shootouts and tests to really know that a 47 was used ? are you sure more people here on this board don't REALLY know what mic was used ?
heh

seriously though...its nice to have the REAL answers to questions like this. i remember a thread at one point where someone was asking about ed vedder's vocal chain and matt bayles chimed in....and yet, there were STILL people posting as if they REALLY knew the answer !!

must have been a cool experience working on all those records with bud and with such cool artists !!

good to see you on this board !!

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala View Post
Thanks for the info! ¨
Off topic: Do you remember the vocal mic(s) that was used in Drops Of Jupiter?
251 or Blue Bottle was used on that record. Probably the Telefunken 251 on that song.
Old 9th December 2008
Thanks for the replies gents.
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
seriously though...its nice to have the REAL answers to questions like this. i remember a thread at one point where someone was asking about ed vedder's vocal chain and matt bayles chimed in....and yet, there were STILL people posting as if they REALLY knew the answer !!
heh Don't you love that! heh

Ryan, were you there for STP's "No. 4"? That is one of my favorite albums EVER and I think much of it is due to the fact that the production is not the typical "in your face" style that kills the longetivity of so many albums these days. Instead, the production seems to emphasize the songs themselves rather than having every instrument stick out. Like a throwback to the old days. It's very musical and I'd love to hear ANY info you have about the making of No.4 as it's been a big influence for me.
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Addict
I did work on the No.4 record as well but it was mostly for some overdubs and mixing. The main part of the record was tracked in LA at NRG and finished/ mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta. Those guys can all REALLY play. Dean is really great at coming up with parts and he's really into certain amps with certain guitars to make the parts work. Lots of small amps were used. That record is all on tape, also.
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
I did work on the No.4 record as well but it was mostly for some overdubs and mixing. The main part of the record was tracked in LA at NRG and finished/ mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta. Those guys can all REALLY play. Dean is really great at coming up with parts and he's really into certain amps with certain guitars to make the parts work. Lots of small amps were used. That record is all on tape, also.
This is why this site rules!! Straight from the mouths of people that actually worked on the records. I'm honored to be posting in the same forum as you guys.heh
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I second that. Whoever had the pleasure to work with a musician like Scott is amazing to me. A U-47 huh? Hmm. Do I need a $7000 mic to get a sound like that? That's one hell of a signal chain. I know good ol' Southern Tracks is like $200 an hour. Think about long recorded records. Damn the majors got some serious jack
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind View Post
I second that. Whoever had the pleasure to work with a musician like Scott is amazing to me. A U-47 huh? Hmm. Do I need a $7000 mic to get a sound like that? That's one hell of a signal chain. I know good ol' Southern Tracks is like $200 an hour. Think about long recorded records. Damn the majors got some serious jack
When I saw them live, Scott sounded just as good (if not better) through an SM58. That's when I developed an incredible ammount of respect for the guy. He really put it all out there and performed as if it was the last show of his life. So much so, that when I saw U2 as few fays after, I was really let down. It was like Bono was just going through the motions compared to Scott.
Old 9th December 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
When I saw them live, Scott sounded just as good (if not better) through an SM58.
I saw them this summer and was very happy with their performance, he sounded the best out of all of them really.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search