The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calrec!
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Nut
Calrec!

So theres no info on their website, and theres a fair few discussions on here, but i have read a lot, and i'm still quite unsure. would anyone be able to enlighten me which calrec channel strip modules are worth having! At the moment i only have the 2 pres on my 1814 and 4 on my mackie mixer, so bare in mind that most things will be a step up. If anyone could a vauge history of model numbers or something like thattutttutttutt
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Nut
go on
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Addict

1061s are cool. A little hard to find at a good price though.
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Nut
Quote:
1061s are cool
are they older then, are they higher model numbers later, what does the prefix PQ mean, there a regularly strips on ebay with pq (pq 1740, 2647 are two recent ones).....
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Nut
bumplewump
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Pretty curious on the Calrec stuff too. Would love to hear peoples thoughts on the EQ in the various modules.
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I had some later 80's ones, pq something, blue front (?). I wanted warmth and character and they didn't do much for me, esp compared to a V72. I'm sure the eq was efficient though. I think the earlier 70's ones (brown?) with the chunky knobs might be more mojo-ey. Usually works that way.
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear Nut
So the PQ range is from the 80's?
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear Addict

Sadly I really don't know the history of Calrec as well as maybe I should. My understanding is this, and if I botch it, please someone jump in and correct me.

I was told that the early calrec modules came to be when the BBC was tired of paying Neve what they wanted for their broadcast consoles. Calrec was commissioned to make consoles with the same specs but at a lower price point. Which is why the 1061s and PQ1181s look like 1073s.

Sonically, the few calrec modules I've heard don't sound exactly like the Neve modules they were supposed to duplicate. Instead they have their own thing going. Its a little bit punchier and cleaner than a Neve which I will dare to relate to an API-esque punch (I really hate comparing "sounds" of gear that way). The modules sounded great, and I wouldn't hesistate to use them where I'd use a 1073/1081, but they do sound different. As always, different is always better or worse, its just simply different. YMMV.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkovorkian View Post
So the PQ range is from the 80's?
I'm really no expert on this. The modules I had were 80's ones that happened to begin with PQ (1253 possibly?) but I don't know how far back the PQ thing goes. I think Toe Rag's current desk is an 80's Calrec and I've also recorded through 80's Calrec desks at the BBC. They all look similar, small knobs with coloured stickers in the middle. As I said, I think the EQ on the 80's ones are probably very efficient, but I like character and mojo and I never heard much in any of those. I've heard good things about the older/70's ones with the bigger knobs, and I've also heard the story about the BBC ordering them close to Neve specifications. Geoff Tanner is probably the man to speak to.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

you can actually buy Calrec 1061s on VintageKing.com.

but I have seen them for as cheap as 1k which is a buy considering Neve, Neve clones and API modules go for more.

I have also heard that they were used to cover neve's production for broadcasting and that they have an API punch.

Of course everyone knows by now that Portishead recorded the entire Third album on these pres.

I would love to hear shootouts with Calrecs, APIs, m76s, V72s and Neves.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

PQ1061 gets used by me all the time.. Right next to TG2, LTD1, Neve, Great River.. It holds up to those for me.

I've used it for snare in the past.. I like it on Bass, vocals. I use it with all the others to get different colors.. I think the pre and EQ are really cool.

That's my Avatar

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search