The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AAliyah - Try Again
Old 25th March 2003
Gear Head

AAliyah - Try Again

I have listen for several times Try Again from AAliyah and that production rules.

Does anybody knows who did that sound?

mix? Production? studio? Mastering?

best, Miha
Old 25th March 2003
Re: AAliyah - Try Again

Quote:
Originally posted by mihau
I have listen for several times Try Again from AAliyah and that production rules.

Does anybody knows who did that sound?

mix? Production? studio? Mastering?

best, Miha
Probably produced by Timbaland.

Probably mixed by Jimmy Douglass.

Probably mastered by Bernie Grundman or Herb Power.

But don't quote me on it.tutt
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

For me the key to that sound is Timbaland's amazing choice of sounds, and the way he put's 'em together.....methinks that's waaaay more important than the mix/masteringcool
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Any1 here mastered with Herb Powers?...........any1 know what gear he uses?........there don't seem to be any info on the www about him.....all i know is he's a fat black bloke!
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Herb is a "Loudness Warlord". 'Try Again' is/would be one of his better jobs (if he did it), IMO, mainly because he didn't suck the dynamics out of it.

I'll ask Tim and Jimmy about it when they get back in town. (thursday I believe)
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

yeah, did Herb P master that album?.....now that i think about it, i remember that the album sounded kinda shitty......and to be honest i thought Jimmy D was to blame, 'cause i've heard some very fruity, tasty Herb P mastering (Angie Stone, Jill Scott).........but, then again, Jimmy D mixed the Timbaland/Magoo album "Welcome to our world" which is one of my favorite albums and sounds stunning..........i dunno, sometimes it's very hard to tell who the villains are!
Old 25th March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
yeah, did Herb P master that album?.....now that i think about it, i remember that the album sounded kinda shitty......and to be honest i thought Jimmy D was to blame, 'cause i've heard some very fruity, tasty Herb P mastering (Angie Stone, Jill Scott).........but, then again, Jimmy D mixed the Timbaland/Magoo album "Welcome to our world" which is one of my favorite albums and sounds stunning..........i dunno, sometimes it's very hard to tell who the villains are!

Like I posted earlier...don't quote me on it!!

The song is on The Romeo Must Die soundtrack.

I first met Herb back when he was over at the old C&C studio(when it was Herb Powers House of Sound) .

He is a very nice guy. He mastered a rap album I partially mixed back in 2000. Do i think he over does it sometimes? Yeah he does. But I also went to part of the mastering session and the record label/executive producer was pushing him also.

I love the way he mastered Toni Braxton's "The Heat"(one of my favorite albums to test systems out on).

Sometimes people don't understand what goes into mastering an album that's been mixed by ten-twelve different guys and trying to make it sound cohesive.grudge
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear