The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1100 buck for a preamp and converters
Old 2nd June 2005
Gear Nut

1100 buck for a preamp and converters

i have around 1100 dollars for a preamp and an audio interface...
I only need one or two channel...

I've been thinking about the RME ADI-2 ad/da converters + a host card (wich one?)
And then maybe GT The Brick + RNC as a preamp... I have a Røde NTK mic...

Would that be a wise buy or is there anything better? What would you prefer?

Regards
Morten Hjort
Old 2nd June 2005
Lynx L22 sound card (sounds better than the RME and keeps you from having to buy a seperate sound card, also has AES i/o which is nice if you ever get an external A/D/A in the future).

The Brick is the best bang for the buck out there right now for a stand alone single channel. The RNP would put things a bit over budget with the L22, but is a better value than the Brick (the RNP is less per channel with easily as good of a sound).
Old 3rd June 2005
Lives for gear

RME Fireface 800. It's a little over your range, but we just bought two from Guitar Center for $1250 EA.

4 decent Pres
10 Analog AD
18 Digital I/O

Can't beat the price and the monitoring options are top notch. The only downside is you need to rely on plugs or outboard for color because the pres don't have any character. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
Old 3rd June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
The Brick is the best bang for the buck out there right now for a stand alone single channel. The RNP would put things a bit over budget with the L22, but is a better value than the Brick (the RNP is less per channel with easily as good of a sound).
Can you comment on the sound difference between the Ditto and Brick?

I jumped all over a used Ditto for $150. Couldn't pass it up since I needed a stand alone DI. I was wondering what the difference in sound quality is compared to the Brick?

I have yet to use the Ditto since I just paypal'd the money to the seller 2 days ago. Be nice if he would contact me!

Thanks!
Old 5th June 2005
Gear Nut

re

Would a Grand River MP-1NV (or ME-1NV) pre be a major upgrade from GT The Brick?
Old 5th June 2005
Gear Head

[QUOTE=sleepwalker]RME Fireface 800. It's a little over your range, but we just bought two from Guitar Center for $1250 EA.

May I take this chance to ask you one thing ?
I am considering to buy the fireface and use it connected to my Hdsp 9652 as a step up from my Frontier Tango 24 ad-da converter.
Do you think is there a way to use it as an ad-da converter sending its analog inputs to the adat outs and its adat inputs to its analog outs ?
I mean, would it be an easy to set up plain adat converter ?
thanks,
luca
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx
Can you comment on the sound difference between the Ditto and Brick?

The DI section in the Brick is the same as in the Ditto.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

Definitely go with the Brick...it's the best value-wise.

You might want to consider something like the Presonus Firepod...they're not know for real high end stuff but the converters are actually pretty decent on it.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

I would buy a Sebatron vmp2000e preamp and an inexpensive (but good) PCI interface like the M-Audio Delta 44 or EMU 1212. You can upgrade the converters later, but this setup will give you two channels of great sound and a preamp you won't need to upgrade later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search