The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
digital setup questions
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

digital setup questions

after doing a lot of researchs there are still plenty of questions unanswered . i know most of my questions were discussed before . but i am gonna start this thread anyway :

thx a lot in front for your input :

scenario : digidesign tdm hardware , macintosh ppc , running protools & logic , mixing " in the box " .

what are you using :

1) clocking devices
2) monitoring systems
( need to connect at least 2 pairs of monitors , 2-3 external sources , mono switch etc. )
3) talkback units & headphone mixers for overdubs
4) a/ds for keyboards like the 1622
5) what kind of mac do you recommend to use the latest tools like softsynths , samplers etc. ???
6) what do i need to use my digidesign hardware with vst instruments and native plugs when running logic ???
7) how do you calibrate the outs for the 2track mixdown or the cue mixes ??? using another d/a is a cool option , but i need to make it as unexpensive as possible . -14dbfs on 2track outs doesnt make much sense to me ???

i need to hook up racks of outboard & keys . in fact of i own that already i dont need to be loaded with farms . i want to compensate the dsp lack with a faster cpu , to use the logic fx and those new intruments with my digi setup .

ive got a lot of input from this board , but stuff like cranesong , neve , hd , procontrol , etc. is not on my budget .

so feel free to post anything that gives me more information about " how to change an analog setup into a digital " .

thank you , P E A C E

Old 24th March 2003
Gear Maniac

You want us to record and mix your records for you also? How about skimming the manuals?
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: digital setup questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up

what are you using :

1) clocking devices
2) monitoring systems
( need to connect at least 2 pairs of monitors , 2-3 external sources , mono switch etc. )
3) talkback units & headphone mixers for overdubs
4) a/ds for keyboards like the 1622
5) what kind of mac do you recommend to use the latest tools like softsynths , samplers etc. ???
6) what do i need to use my digidesign hardware with vst instruments and native plugs when running logic ???
7) how do you calibrate the outs for the 2track mixdown or the cue mixes ??? using another d/a is a cool option , but i need to make it as unexpensive as possible . -14dbfs on 2track outs doesnt make much sense to me ???

I'll bite. The currently session I'm on (this changes quite often) is:
1: Clocked from PSX-100SE via wordclock
2. Control 24
3. Control 24, into furman headphone amp in Studio... I'm not recording a full band in a live room all at once. Sometimes Drums, Bass, Keys, Guitar, but only the drummer is in the live room.
4. I have 2 888's and 1 1622 completely filled up with synth inputs. The more important ones I'm runnning through the Control to adjust levels. All of my synth outs are being DI'ed.
5. I don't have a lot of experience with soft synths. I think there was an article on them in last month's Mix magazine. But you know how that magazine gets.
6. My knowledge of Logic is rather limted. Are you trying to run Logic and Pro tools at the same time or just us Logic with Digi hardware?
7. I'm currently in the tracking stage, so all the rough mixes I do are entirely in Pro tools. I plan on breaking everything out on an SSL 9000K at a -16 ref.
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

as always e-cues the man , thanks

your add here : i know all my manuals pretty well , but i dont know stuff i dont own . over here its not that easy going into a store and telling em " well , i want to try 4 different clocks , converters etc. " in fact of some guys in here are loaded with experience , i simply ask them ... i want to have infos from people who are working that way and not from people who work at the companies telephone support .

1) apogee is mentioned a lot . what about lucid ??? i heard a lot of people who really dig em .
2) the control 24 would be a great option , but it doesnt support logic as far as i know . i was checking the dac-1 which is a good idea . but i wanna have at least the possibility to hook up cd , dat , 2 ore more pairs of speakers , meters , mono switch .
the coleman products look pretty good , how do they sound ???
any other infos ???
6) i dont want to sync logic and pt , i stick to digidesign hardware and want to be able running both programs but not at the same time .
7) thats real gearslutz advice , but like i said , i need to finish some stuff at my studio , the possibility bringing the sessions to a big mixroom is always there .

stuff i need to hook up to the digital world to make my little studio work:

keys : 2*jv2080 , virus , s6000 , pulse+ , r8 , d4 , z3 , t3 , mc505 , ensonique sampler , m3r
fx : pcm91 , ams 1580 , h3000 , tc1210 , 2*spx90 , space echo , vocoder
outboard : 2*adl1000 , amek9098 c/l , urei la22 , rca stereo eq , 2*v72a
speakers : 1032a , ns10 , tannoy 6.5 , 1092 andandand

more help please !!! THX

Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

COME ON SLUTZ ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search