The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I avoid breaking a Beyer 160 Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

How do I avoid breaking a Beyer 160

I keep reading these mics are fragile , If I just use them for Overheads and acoustic guitar I shouldn't have a problem blowing them out ? Right ?
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Addict

just don't blow into it, or subject it to any wind blasts, and it'll be fine.

Mine has survived a violin player blowing into it.

They're not that fragile.
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post
just don't blow into it, or subject it to any wind blasts, and it'll be fine.

Mine has survived a violin player blowing into it.

They're not that fragile.
Cool , I like the sound but don't like the thought of putting money into repairs ,

I want to use it on a loud guitar half stack , this might not be the best though because of all the air movement ?
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Cool , I like the sound but don't like the thought of putting money into repairs ,

I want to use it on a loud guitar half stack , this might not be the best though because of all the air movement ?

It'll be fine. There's not much air movement coming from a guitar amp. If you put your hand in front of a source, and you feel wind, then be careful, but I've NEVER experienced that with a guitar cab.

I just recorded some metal stuff through a ridiculously loud Ampeg V4/Marshall 4x12 cab using mine, and it was no problem at all. Hendrix's amps were often mic'd with them, and lord knows he wasn't the quietest player either.

It seems to work best a few inches to a foot back off the speaker anyway, which will lower the risks of damage. Or, if you're really paranoid, put a pop-filter in front of it, or turn it off-axis a little.

Seriously though... Don't worry about it. Kick and Snare and toms are probably the only sources that I wouldn't use mine on.

It's a rugged mic.
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

I don't think you can blow a beyer ribbon with a guitar amp......never had a problem. Like said, they're not THAT fragile....
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post
It'll be fine. There's not much air movement coming from a guitar amp. If you put your hand in front of a source, and you feel wind, then be careful, but I've NEVER experienced that with a guitar cab.
I once read that when you place your hand in front of the speaker and you feel wind, its not actually wind, its the movement of particles hitting your hand and you "feel" it like wind....
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I once read that when you place your hand in front of the speaker and you feel wind, its not actually wind, its the movement of particles hitting your hand and you "feel" it like wind....
That sounds like something to meditate on while sitting indian style alone on a tall mountain.....
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
That sounds like something to meditate on while sitting indian style alone on a tall mountain.....
....yeah, while listening to the guitars you've recorded with yer beyer......heh
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback guys . I'm excited , ribbon mics are the sound I've been looking for , I like stoner rock where every thing is warm ,fuzzy , never harsh and lots of mids ,
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys . I'm excited , ribbon mics are the sound I've been looking for , I like stoner rock where every thing is warm ,fuzzy , never harsh and lots of mids ,
M160 on amp = Jimi.....you'll love it! Combine with a nice un-harsh condenser and between the two you're in there......hell, get a pair, favourite overheads....
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Is that a Beyer in your avatar, Karloff?
If so, which one?
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
M160 on amp = Jimi.....you'll love it! Combine with a nice un-harsh condenser and between the two you're in there......hell, get a pair, favourite overheads....

Yeah I'm getting a pair mainly for Overheads , but using them on guitars is a huge plus !

I heard Jimi also sang into them ,
Old 21st November 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

Yes, but as they're ribbon mics you'll have to use a pop filter otherwise you are likely to damage it. I'm surprised the violinist didn't damage it when he blew into it...the mic that is.
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

My guitar setup is

Orange AD 30 Half Stack

SG standard

API 512c pres ,

I've been using a 57 and SM7 but soon it will be a 57 and a Beyer 160 ,
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
Yes, but as they're ribbon mics you'll have to use a pop filter otherwise you are likely to damage it.
Maybe on vocals, but not guitars or OH's or ac. guitar, or whatever. I've never used a pop-filter with mine, and i haven't had a problem.

Quote:
I'm surprised the violinist didn't damage it when he blew into it...the mic that is.
I was too. it was the fist day that I used it too.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search