The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A above middle C @ 432 hz instead of 440 for a warmer, transparant sound? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th November 2008
Lives for gear

A above middle C @ 432 hz instead of 440 for a warmer, transparant sound?

Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Interesting

These articles are pseudo-scientific, full of both formal and informal logical errors. We have errors of causality: 432 has mathematical relation to the ancient Mayan number X, therefore A as 432 is related to ancient Mayan spirituality. We have errors of chronological causality: I had X bees pollinating my garden and I put a sound generator running at 432hz and now I have more bees, therefore 432Hz attracts bees, therefore 432Hz is more in tune (no pun intended) with nature. We have informal logical error of association: ****s enforced 440Hz (probably not even true), ****s are bad, therefore 440Hz is bad, therefore 432Hz is good. And we have my favorite illogical argument - the nonsensical argument: Have you ever tasted water that is 432Hz? We have argument of partial truths: 432Hz is lower in frequency, therefore there is more room for overtones; and 432Hz is lower in frequency therefore it has less high frequency content, and therefore is less stressful.

I'd be interested in seeing an article on this that actually works sensibly. In addition, I believe the international standard for A above middle C has been changed to 441.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

maybe not as relevant here, but lots of orchestras and definitely string players like to go 442.
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

so every sound on my motif is tuned to 440 A by default? Can you change that to 432hz?
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

On a thread about something else someone started mentioning te loudneswar.
Also in the history of tuning and piano sound everything ad moved up and gotten louder.
We tink a Steinway is great and it is. Bt in the history of piano evolution it is the loudest piano. Is there a way back? Probably not. Do Indian musucians honor the 432HZ? Next time I will ask them. (Their scale is slightly different ut it is worth finding out.)
What I am saying is hat everything is getting higher and louder.
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear maniac

You can totally change the tuning on your motif. My partner and I re-tuned our entire studio to 432 and there is an amazing difference in how the tracks are both sounding and feeling. I really think a lot of the huge producers out there have done this to their studios aswell.
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear nut

Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

yall doin too much....
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagearho View Post
You can totally change the tuning on your motif. My partner and I re-tuned our entire studio to 432 and there is an amazing difference in how the tracks are both sounding and feeling. I really think a lot of the huge producers out there have done this to their studios aswell.
really??? huh i'll look into it.
Shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.

btw i wonder what happens when this thread reaches 432 views
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I did the math.

Theory: Hz correlates to pitch by it's relation in the overtone series, where a doubling of Hz yields an octave in pitch, and a tripling of Hz yields and octave and a fifth.

If you assume C=256, you can cycle through to discover G=384, D=576, and A=867.

We can also say that half of your initial Hz is equivalent to an octave down in pitch.

Therefore, A is harmonically 433.5, when C=256.

That last article is really interesting. I'm a firm believer in math, and I know that pianos are tuned incorrectly in order to make them chromatic instruments, so 432/433.5 is probably a better tuning for A.
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

after bouncing the song using A=440hz could you just take the 2 track and drop it down the correct amount of cents. That way you avoid the hassle of being flat with others if you where to collab or take your stuff to another studio. Or is there something about recording each instrument purely at 432.

someone mentioned the whole speed of light thing and how miles and seconds are human made and in a sense is not some universal number just a reference for us. Meaning if a mile was shorter in length then there would be more miles in a light year and it wouldn't divide perfectly. what if you replaced a kilometer with miles. Which i would think the metric system would be more in tune with "the universe". just a thought.
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tracks View Post
YouTube - Webs of Maya

This video makes the rabbit hole deeper
That is absolutely fascinating!!!

I wanted to know more about that, but the 'more info' bar in youtube yielded nothing but spam for 911 conspiracy ****e...

Does anyone know exactly what 'ingredients' were used to affect the medium and produce those results?

I can tell each pitch they stopped/held to create those images - I'd like to know more about that experiment in particular...

Astounding stuff...thx for the link!
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

OK, I found this interesting doc:

Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
WOW. okay i have to do it now. Question is how do i down shift it 8hz on my motif. The tuning i believe is in cents in the Utility Section.
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear
This is really really interesting to me. I am so tempted to try this but am wondering how it would affect the singer.
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
This is really really interesting to me. I am so tempted to try this but am wondering how it would affect the singer.
wonder if auto tune allows you to adjust this???
Old 5th December 2008
i think Mozart's tuning fork is A430. i know the Philadelphia Orchestra(with Eugene Ormandy as director) tuned to A438 and was known for their 'lush' sound. i also know that some European orchestras will tune as high as A445. i think it's natural for the reference tone to ascend over time if we want to keep the same music interesting.

Mayans and physics aside, i thought the explanation was simple: if we're going to perform Beethoven's Fifth Symphony for the godillionth time, how do we make it different? well, brighter is going to get the listener's attention whether we 'have perfect pitch' or not - since we all inherently have perfect pitch and the block is mental, not physical for 99.9% of folks.

darker is also a nice variation, especially when we're playing something 'everyone' has heard before. Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned low, as did Van Halen if i'm not mistaken, for the same result - a 'heavier' sound. it's not scientific, but it IS relative.
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Addict

Ok this is new to me. I like orchestral music. Found this article about Verdi's efforts to make 432Hz tuning standard tuning in Italy: Revolution of Tuning | 432hz.net
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Headphone View Post
Ok this is new to me. I like orchestral music. Found this article about Verdi's efforts to make 432Hz tuning standard tuning in Italy: Revolution of Tuning | 432hz.net
Cool link thanks for posting. It is a nicely organized website with a lot of good information. This is a very interesting subject.

This is an awesome thread!
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

I know a violist with perfect pitch that I work with a lot. She loves this kind of stuff, so where going to work out a piece in E minor, so A is a fifth, and all notes will be mathmatically relevant to C=256 (A therefore 433.5). We'll see how this works. Maybe a short piece, recorded twice, once at A=440.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
..........depends if the singer has perfect pitch and they are reading music, then it can be a bit of a nightmare. In classical music it has more of an impact. I trained as a tenor and for higher voices it can be either a bitch or a blessing. With some European orchestras who tune to a higher pitch for example and you are singing a piece for which the composer wrote a high c.......well it's the former. But if you are playing with a baroque orchestra where they sometimes play a semi tone lower......it's all gravy.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Download this track and listen to it with your eyes closed. If you have some nice headphones use them. I transposed this recording so that it is tuned to 432 instead of 440. I've been AB'ing a lot of files this way and 432 seems to have this smooth 3 Dimensional quality that is very interesting. It seems to go right to your chest. This sounds stupid until you really close your eyes and listen.

Check it out for yourself.

Emmanuel, God With Us 432.mp3
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
i think Mozart's tuning fork is A430.
it's not THAT easy; Mozart's tuning
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
wonder if auto tune allows you to adjust this???
Now,THATS funny
Old 5th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
it's not THAT easy; Mozart's tuning
thanks for the link, that's fascinating! we're not talking about tuning systems though, we're discussing reference tones... and i think Mozart's tuning fork is A430. BTW, speaking of tuning system options - this is one area where i think Logic trounces Pro Tools. does PT even offer tuning options?
Old 5th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
If you assume C=256, you can cycle through to discover G=384
is this where SSL got the name for their compressor?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search