The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It's 4am...and I'm still in a session..anyone else??
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

It's 4am...and I'm still in a session..anyone else??

Well My first session started at 10.30 am and ended at 1.45pm this morning...then I got another right after from 2pm until 7.30 pm...then another one until now..I didn't get a chance to eat yet so I'm feeding of sneakers and Redbull.....I'm getting kinda tired right now...4 am still in the studio working on helping someone mix a record...he said he just wanted to rent the studio ,he knew how to mix...I ended up mixing the entire damn thing and teaching how to use Eq and compression all night....damn....so yes still in the studio ,GS on my macbook on the side of the console going back and forth so I don't get crazy hearing the same damn song 300 times in one night. my ears are ringing, I can't barely see the Plugins setting on the screen anymore...Life in the studio huh!?? anyone else??
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Nut

1.) It's your studio (I think?). Tell him you're done for the night because you need to eat, sleep and rest your ears.

2.) Turn your monitors down so you don't get ear fatigue.

3.) Go to bed.
Old 31st October 2008

used to do it. Never work after 9pm - no matter what. Life comes first. And so far, I still get jobs.
Old 31st October 2008
Harmless Wacko

Preaching to the choir.

And I'm probably 20 years older than you.

Ahh me.

Ya really gotta not give a f*ck.

SM.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Guru

Im on GS at 5 am when i should be in bed, what can i say the dog had to piss, hey im outta here......back to bed, go get some rest dude, you should be brain dead by now.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Well My first session started at 10.30 am and ended at 1.45pm this morning...then I got another right after from 2pm until 7.30 pm...then another one until now..I didn't get a chance to eat yet so I'm feeding of sneakers and Redbull.....I'm getting kinda tired right now...4 am still in the studio working on helping someone mix a record...he said he just wanted to rent the studio ,he knew how to mix...I ended up mixing the entire damn thing and teaching how to use Eq and compression all night....damn....so yes still in the studio ,GS on my macbook on the side of the console going back and forth so I don't get crazy hearing the same damn song 300 times in one night. my ears are ringing, I can't barely see the Plugins setting on the screen anymore...Life in the studio huh!?? anyone else??
you can only keep up this kind of schedule for so long. its a great way to get a strong base of knowledge, work your ass off for a while, have no friends, etc. but there comes a time where you need real life activities. actually, i've found that hanging out with people and not working all night helps when you are working. what we do is a social business full of subtle social things that you need to pick up on to be successful. so once you get a good set of basic skills going (you might have these already?) please do yourself (and your clients) a favor and enjoy the non-studio side of life. its pretty great out there!
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

but do ya luv it?
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

lol, yes it's my studio but.....He needed hours....I needed new Toys...I said yes!
he will come back tomorrow to finish. He has to be done with his project by Monday and I have a show in San Antonio this week end so I'm shutting down the studio for the week end....damn..I just remembered that when he leaves I have to do a TV track for a song I produced. the artists has a show tomorrow and Unoversal has been on my back all day...but I've been in sessions all day.... oh well I might just not sleep I have a session at 11 am later one....

the thing too is I'm on the road touring 3 days a week so I'm out and in clubs and concerts all the time ( sick of THAT) so when I come back I'm Busy as hell since I can only be in the studio a few days a week. My wife keeps on telling me it's not healthy but I'm sure you guys know how it is..

PS: BryanCook...I'm really tired I was looking at your avatar and I thought it was a building for a few seconds....NICE BUILDING I need some rest.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Some of my best work was done at 4 or 5am. On my own music that is. I cant deal with doing sessions that late anymore. I hang it up at 2am max.
Old 31st October 2008

its 3:30am my session ended a little while ago i'm waiting for the backups to get done. i live for this
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Is there any better time to be in the studio.

Although by your post, it doesn't sound like you're having much fun. Hope it's at least paying the bills.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

I don't do it anymore. Not worth the health problems it creates. I generally wrap it up between 8pm and 10pm. Occasionally I'll go till 1 or 2am but it has to be an emergency or super tight deadline. Up early, to bed early. . . .
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
I don't do it anymore. Not worth the health problems it creates. I generally wrap it up between 8pm and 10pm. Occasionally I'll go till 1 or 2am but it has to be an emergency or super tight deadline. Up early, to bed early. . . .
yeah...Well I went to Bed at 7am ...and at 8.20 am I got a call...They need that TV track right now...Turned PT back on...Bouncing now...ME GRUMPY!!
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Yeh, after a few years of doing that you end up looking like a stick with a racoon head on it. The body needs rest and go figure, food for energy to keep going. I actually scared a lot of people once at a halloween party, and I went as myself
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

there are some intersting comments here, because in the past typically i have worked crazy hours like noon to midnight or even 6am reguarly usually 6 or 7 days a week, and it wore thin on me it was like never ending exhaustion in a sense. lately it has been slow for me an i have been going to bed early at night before midnight usually and getting up early and only working like 9am or 10am and work til 5pm or 7pmish usually 8pm at the latest, oh i have been taking weeknds off too which is nice, and i must say that my energy levels on a daily basis are much higher than they have been in years. its makes me really not want to go back to my old ways, i might have to renogiate my terms with the studio i work at, because lately there is really no sessions to speak of just tape transfers and such which i have been doing on my chosen hours typically a 9to5ish kinda deal, and really i think when a session does finally roll in it gonna suck going back to the 2am grind again, i dont know if i can do it, or rather i fi want to do it, definatley might have to renogotiate my terms indeed. it makes me wonder why the recording industry is so geared towards crazy hours and burning people out? because right now i feel better than i have in years with my new hours i have been keeping.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

As everyone said already, you can only do that for so long. A few years ago I decided to live a life like a human and not a machine.

I changed my hours in the studio to Mon-Fri 10am-6pm. Many people told me I was crazy.

For years now here is what happened...

I have been making the best records of my life.

I have been booked solid sometimes 5 months out.

I feel great.

I spend time being me with my wife and dogs.

Artists tell me they love the fact that they are done early enough to relax or go hang out.

I think in 4 years of this, I have lost one demo because of my hours (and I said goodbye to cheap quick recordings, nothing has ever come from it anyway.)

My point is you do NOT have to work those hours. You don't.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

If I work all night it's my choice, and I still do it pretty often... but I'll drop my daughter at school in the morning and go sleep till noon. Haven't lost any work by choosing to have a life AND a studio and my body does better with some rest these days.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
As everyone said already, you can only do that for so long. A few years ago I decided to live a life like a human and not a machine.

I changed my hours in the studio to Mon-Fri 10am-6pm. Many people told me I was crazy.

For years now here is what happened...

I have been making the best records of my life.

I have been booked solid sometimes 5 months out.

I feel great.

I spend time being me with my wife and dogs.

Artists tell me they love the fact that they are done early enough to relax or go hang out.

I think in 4 years of this, I have lost one demo because of my hours (and I said goodbye to cheap quick recordings, nothing has ever come from it anyway.)

My point is you do NOT have to work those hours. You don't.
this is inspiring to me because yeah i am really sick of working those crazy hours all night. the only problem is that its not my studio i am just an emloyee, and i wonder if i dont want to work those hours if the owners will find an engineer who does? i dunno that remains to be seen, but seriuosly i am considering putting my foot down and saying no more, no more 7 day a week sessions no more 15 hour days that last til 3AM im just not gonna do it anymore. it really wears me thin and makes me not even look forward to working alot of the time.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

well I wish I "didn't" have to but....Universal called this morning I just finished re-mixing /bouncing the TV track, it's now 10.20am and I have a session schedule in a hour or so (can even remember...so tired) I can't cancel, it has been booked for weeks. I guess I will burn out but I've been going like this for years now. I can't lie working a lot is good to me. It got me where I am. I just wish sometimes things could be more on a "normal" schedule you know...I deal mainly with major artists and you can't really tell them NOT to come at 10 pm....maybe your clients work during the day. Not mine ...actually NOT one of my big client comes around before 8pm. Oh well, I'm still doing what I love and making a career in it so I can't complain
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulation View Post
this is inspiring to me because yeah i am really sick of working those crazy hours all night. the only problem is that its not my studio i am just an emloyee, and i wonder if i dont want to work those hours if the owners will find an engineer who does? i dunno that remains to be seen, but seriuosly i am considering putting my foot down and saying no more, no more 7 day a week sessions no more 15 hour days that last til 3AM im just not gonna do it anymore. it really wears me thin and makes me not even look forward to working alot of the time.
Hmmm, I don't know what things are like in your area but if I quit today there could be a replacement sitting in my chair within the hour, two hours max. Maybe you're personally in demand and it's different but otherwise just think about all those kids flying out of SAE, Full Sail, Conservatory etc this year, last year, the year before that. I would guess that most of them don't have jobs and are (figuratively) in line behind you for your job...

I think with the long hours, you have to do it in the beginning because you're no better or different to someone else that will. Once people start to value you as a person again you can set your own rules to work by, just like in the "real world."
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

working hours here:

7am-7am

hip hop hours:

6pm-6am

the best time is around 3am.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOpAl View Post
Hmmm, I don't know what things are like in your area but if I quit today there could be a replacement sitting in my chair within the hour, two hours max. Maybe you're personally in demand and it's different but otherwise just think about all those kids flying out of SAE, Full Sail, Conservatory etc this year, last year, the year before that. I would guess that most of them don't have jobs and are (figuratively) in line behind you for your job...

I think with the long hours, you have to do it in the beginning because you're no better or different to someone else that will. Once people start to value you as a person again you can set your own rules to work by, just like in the "real world."
well yes this is the only thing that makes me hesitate to do such a bold move as put my foot down, because i realize that yes i am replaceable, but its hard to say how much leverage i actually have because i have been doing this awhile and i have a track record and i work at a good price, i mean really is asking to work humanly hours to much? would they replace me for refusing to do allnighters? i am still figuring out how to go about negotiating this, maybe ill ease into it.
Old 31st October 2008
here is an idea, stop being an EMPLOYEE and grow a pair. freelance. get your own gigs, you will probably make more money.

as posted before, you dont HAVE to work these hours.

i dont go as far as to only do weekday, but i wont start a lockout session after noon. i am usually out by eight, and no, i dont have a huge client roster yet. i just tell me people no. usually, they are ok with that.
Old 31st October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor View Post
here is an idea, stop being an EMPLOYEE and grow a pair. freelance. get your own gigs, you will probably make more money.

as posted before, you dont HAVE to work these hours.

i dont go as far as to only do weekday, but i wont start a lockout session after noon. i am usually out by eight, and no, i dont have a huge client roster yet. i just tell me people no. usually, they are ok with that.
so, being an employee equals being nutless? I do love freelancing and it does make me good money, but I'm MUCH happier with my STEADY job as an on-staff engineer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntillesSound View Post
so, being an employee equals being nutless? I do love freelancing and it does make me good money, but I'm MUCH happier with my STEADY job as an on-staff engineer. Just my 2 cents.
yes i agree having a steady income is nice, i used to work at a large studio where the was several engineers and sometimes i was broke and starving because there was not enough work to go around and i was at the bottom of the line. i can only imagine that could be worse being completely freelance, i have friends that are freelance and they go thru terrible periods of no work.
Old 31st October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
he said he just wanted to rent the studio ,he knew how to mix...I ended up mixing the entire damn thing and teaching how to use Eq and compression all night....
Super funny when that happens!
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

I cut it at 10:30PM

They can just come back later in the week.

They always beg to come back so I don't accommodate those wanting to go past my preferred hours.

I'm swamped. . .
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

I only hope they are paying by the hour Our hours are usually Noon to 7pm --bankers hours ....keeps the neighbors happy. When we track elsewhere --its 3pm to 2Am > but I am well compensated for the late night.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Last edited by mdjice; 31st October 2008 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
I only hope they are paying by the hour
Oh yeah
and to the "shaneoconnor".... Who said I was employed??? I OWN my studio and every piece of equipment is paid for! so No debt and No Boss here JUST ME

PS: I thought your studio was shutting down no?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search