The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best budget mic for hand drums? Dynamic Microphones
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Best budget mic for hand drums?

In your guys opinion what is the best option when looking for a mic under $300 for hand drums? Tablas, congas etc?
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Congas Tabla Djembe

The audix D2 mics are fantastic for congas.

With congas i find that you also need to use a lot of compression with slow attack.

Tablas I have always just used sm57, but im sure there is someone who got great results with something 20 times the price like a U87

Dont use Senheiser E604 for congas, it sounds lousy.

For Djembe and Dumbeck, there are mic technics depending on how it is being played.

Traditional west aftrican style Djembe is tuned very high, so a 57 or 427 close mic'd on top (like a snare drum)

However, many pop music have incorporated the Djembe into their arrangements using the deep bass sound.

In this case you need to put a d112 under the drum and a condensor for overhead.

I am still not sure the best way to mic a dumbeck but I use a 57 in the back.

Remember saying HAND drums is like saying INSTRUMENTS.

You are basically asking which mics would be good for PIANO, GUITAR, CLARINET, SAXAPHONE, and FLUTE.

they all have different characteristics and the playing techniques are different from culture to culture.

Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

looks like my thread got you thinking.

I'm going to be using my trusty Sm58 when this Christmas comes around. I think it will be better for a Cajon or any other hand drum than a Sm57 since it has the extra low end.

I know there are some old small ribbon mics that go around for about that much, but I am not sure if the frequency range will be as dependable as a Sm58.
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Hey thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search