The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb for Rhodes
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

I was going to say that if you want to use a Twin with the Rhodes your gonna need the Altecs or the JBL's or some other form of high spl high efficiency speaker. The Oxfords or the Jensens will handle it for a while but the low end will get very muddy. The only problem is moving a Twin with Altecs or JBLs. The only combo amp I can think of that was heavier was the VT22 Ampeg. I think you would be better served to get a full-range PA speaker. Something with a horn and mids and a woofer. Then a nice amp of any sort as long as it has a lot of headroom will work. You want more drive get tubes, more clarity get solid-state. I used to play in abnd that the keys player had a Fender Pro-verb with a single 15 and 50 watts. It did sound nice but wasnt enough for really high-levels on-stage.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
The Showman is a tube amp. Suitcase amp is solid state with 4x12 not 2x15. Not at all the same.

Actually the Twin was the recommended amp at first. Then the suitcase came along with twin 12's. In San Diego Alberts Music City used the Showman with the 2x15's as the first amp. Which is what we used in 1975.

Officially this is what was offered: Rhoades
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

I can't believe how long it has been since I started this thread. I've had a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue for guitars for a couple years. I just picked up a great Mark I Stage 73 last weekend. So far I love it through the Deluxe. If I was using it live I might prefer a Twin, but since this is just for the studio, I think the Deluxe is going to work well.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Di off the harp is the way to go for me!
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Oh, BTW, see if you can get a Showman or Dual Showman instead. These are the head versions of essentially the same amp (Twin Reverb). You'll have more versatility if you can swap out speaker cabinets, and the Twin weighs a ton.
(checks schematics) Holy smokes, they are the same amp. Best tip I've read in years.
Old 2nd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
(checks schematics) Holy smokes, they are the same amp. Best tip I've read in years.
No, their not the same. Unless you count the normal channel, the reverb channels have an extra tube stage, which is why guitar players liked the twin better. It has the overdrive the Showman does not.

A Showman on "10" still sounds like Buck Owens on 10. I have 1965 and 1967 Showman heads modified to do that Hendrix thing, live. Stock they will have a hard time doing that.

Good choice for Rhodes, though.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
No, their not the same. Unless you count the normal channel, the reverb channels have an extra tube stage
Not on the AAxxx schematics I was studying (probably blackface). They even call out the same transformers.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
No, their not the same. Unless you count the normal channel, the reverb channels have an extra tube stage, which is why guitar players liked the twin better.
Clarification: Dual Showman Reverb is the head version of the Twin Reverb. Exact same chassis, circuit, tubes, transformers.

Dual Showman, Showman amps are different from Twin Reverb.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
What you need is a Twin Custom 15. It's a Twin Reverb with a single 15" speaker instead of 2x12".
Isn't that a Vibrosonic Reverb? Pretty sure that was a stock model in the mid-70s. Popular with pedal steel guitar players iirc.
Old 3rd February 2012
The best I had was a Rhodes through a Music Man with a 2-12" folded horn cabinet. Besides sounding great on Rhodes I used to play synth bass too and this combo (the head was 120 watts) was the best amp and speaker I ever played electronic keys through.

Have played a Rhodes through a Twin and its the only thing that's even close. Despite being guitar amps they are great on Rhodes. Beautiful sounding....

I'm with the above guys...the Twin on Rhodes...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search