The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chameleon Labs 7602 with xformer upgrade
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Addict

Chameleon Labs 7602 with xformer upgrade

I'm interested in this upgrade. Does it really affect the sound quality or is it better to just go with the stock unit? Has anyone compared the CL (with upgrade) to a Great River?

Thanks.
Old 29th October 2008
Jai guru deva om

Yes, it has a richer sound with more depth and detail and a bit more size to the sound. We do a Carnhill transformer mod only, and also a premium mod that includes swapping out the capacitors for all tantalum. Both steps combined make the biggest difference. A pair of mine were the first ones we did, I'm very happy with them.

n/a

War
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

I had two of these a couple years back (originals, no mod) and they sounded pretty great. I'm sure with the mod they sound even better.
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Addict

Warren, I heard your clip of the P1 and it sounds similar to the modded CL 7602 and the Great River. What's your take on the P1 after doing these clips comparative to the GR and CL...I was interested in vocal only and thats what I mainly listened to. thanks.
Old 31st October 2008
Jai guru deva om

The P1 is cleaner and not exactly a character pre, but it does have a robust sound to it. The P1 as a sum of all of its parts is outstanding though, particularly for voice recording! Every feature on it is top notch.

Also though, listening on cheap speakers doesn't tell a lot between those preamps so if you're on an office PC they will all sound almost alike. In a good monitoring environment the differences are more apparent, although preamps of course do have more subtle differences than mics and other parts of the chain.

War
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Addict

I am actually listening through Sony MDR 7506 Headphones to try to get a good representation of the sound character.

I think it's a toss up and different flavors, the GR being slightly more open on top and a little meatier on the bottom. I can hear slight differences in the character of the modded and un-modded versions of the CL. I think I like the modded CL the best. Thanks...
Old 31st October 2008
Jai guru deva om

OK, yer hearing stuff then as I essentially agree with those statements!

War
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

War (or anyone who happens to know),

If I were mainly using the 7602 as an outboard EQ while mixing would the mod still be a good choice? I see that the xformer upgrade is:
Quote:
"Carnhill® mic and output transformer option" from the CL website
Is the output transformer more where the sound of the mod will shine through? What about the different capacitors? Would those somehow improve the EQ section at all?

I would barely ever be using the actual preamp side of the unit. Lots of great outboard preamps here already, but not that many EQ's. Although I did recently purchase an Arsenal R24 which is awsome.
Old 22nd December 2008
Jai guru deva om

I would submit to you that the fully modded 7602 units (MKII or original, we mod them both) will hang with likely any high end mic pre you have around.

The output transformer is only part of the equation, and adds more depth and richness and detail overall but it's not like a complete 180 degree turnaround either. Upgrading the caps and having the original Motorola output transistor bring as much to the party as well, there is a presence particularly with the tantalums that comes that is very, very different.

Me like.

War
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I'm sure I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but whenever I think tantalum capacitors I think "yikes!"
Aren't these the ones that short to ground and cause catastrophic failure when they go bad, causing the big puff of smoke and the horrible smell?
Again, I don't want to cast aspersions on your posts Warren because I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but anytime I've had a problem with something that has tantalum capacitors I've been advised by techs to get rid of them as quickly as possible.
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Addict

I'd like to hear a response to this as I am considering picking up a pair of these. Warren?
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Maniac

How is the original 7602 compared to the mkII version?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search