The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
192 digital IO, what is it for?
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Nut

192 digital IO, what is it for?

I am switching from Yamaha 02R96 + 2*MY16-mLAN cards (32 tracks into Cubase/Nuendo) to a PT HD2 system. I got a 96io of the bay and looking for another one, and complete the set up with 16 analog IO and 16 digital IO, total 32 (sometimes I need it, large live room). It looks like many people have 192 digital IO for sale these day but not 96io, mostly on ebay.co.uk which is fine cause I am located in Istanbul. Should I go for a digital 192 IO rather than a second 96io? In that case I will have 8 analog IO, 24 digital IO.

I have Avalon AD 2022, Yamaha mLA8, Digitech VTP1 pres as outboard. 12 channel in total. I ordered a MY16AT for my 02R for 16 ADAT IO. If I buy the digital IO I will often have to use the ADAT outputs from the 02R to the 192. In that case how does the convertion thing work? Is it done by 02R96v2 VCM's internal or Digi 192 digital io? If the digi has no function than what is it for? Is it just for the digital input protocol? No real conversion? I hear some say "chose 192 as master clock". Is this gonna be any better than my 02R convertion? I have Apogee AP8AD analog to digital converter card on my 02R by the way.

All this makes me think about the philosophy behind the 192 Digital IO? If someone already has outboard AD with digital outs than Digis only function is to make it work with the PT core card. Than is it really a converter anymore? Am I missing smth?

Any thoughts?
Old 28th October 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

It's not a converter, it's an interface. The standard 192, and the 96 are converters, and interfaces. Your situation is a perfect example of a digital 192 being useful. You'll use the conversion on the console, and track it to Protools digitally.

Other times when a digital interface is useful are:
1. digital outboard equipment/console
2. 3rd party converters that don't have a direct PT interface, or you don't want to deal with incompatibilities of an unsupported system.
3. transferring to another digital format.

Also, an outboard clock can be helpful, or at least a clock distribution system if you're planning on having multiple digital pieces live happily together.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search