The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spice up computer (piano) samples
Old 28th October 2008
Here for the gear

Spice up computer (piano) samples

Hi all,

here's the thing: I've got a Nord Electro with some nice fx pedals (Boss Dm2 Delay, RAT distortion) on which I play all the electronic keyboards (wurli, rhodes, clavinet) and hammond.
I don't really dig the piano sounds, so I use samples. Now, there are some good and nice tweakable piano samples in Logic Pro 8, but, as is often the case with those things, they sound a bit too "clean", to "clear", they miss something... real. Maybe that's a good word.

So I thought I'd look for a nice compressor. I read about ART Pro Vla (one or two), about RNLA, 1176 etc etc... but everybody seems to have his or her opinion about those things, so I thought I'd specify it a bit differently: I look for a compressor that has a certain sound, in other words: you have to hear it. I know there are some great compressors out there that do their job and we thank the lord that they do it so great withouth "hearing" 'm work, but I want one with a certain character, a certain sound of it's own, to give those, sometimes a bit "dead" computer samples some more life...

I mainly intend to use it in live applications (unfortunately most of the times there is no Steinway Concert Grand available, so that is no option :-) and for some things I also use other samples, so in general, I'm looking for something to spice up my computerish sounds...

Any help or advice would be much apreciated.

Thanks already
S.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear
why not just get better plugins? the logic samples really aren't that good. check out the ivory stuff. Not sure if a compressor would help all that much....
Old 28th October 2008
Here for the gear

Hey,

checked the Ivory plugin and it seems great indeed. But in some bands I use synths/pads which come from Logic. I'm happy with the sound, but I think it could be better, I could ad a little "live" to it...

A thing I once used on a guitar was this little yellow Diamond Compressor. Sounded great, but it's only mono... Anyway, that thing is in the line of what I'm looking for, not really a true compressor, but a nice... color :-)
Any suggestions?
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

It sounds as though you're going to be using a laptop for your piano sounds in your live setup? Is there a reason why you wouldn't get a dedicated keyboard with some great acoustic piano sounds?

I find that most sampled pianos (especially the stock ones in logic) don't factor the sound of a room into the sound very well and sometimes don't have any ambiance at all. Usually i rely on my TC M3000 to generate some real-ish room verb to put a little distance on the piano. That in conjunction with filter out some of the lows and highs as to put more distance on it. I just find them way too clean a lot of the time.... sort of like recording an electric guitar D.I.

But in any case... in the box I end up using the Waves SSL Channel and find that the compressor (on slow-attack) does a great job sampler-pianos for pop music. Gives it a little more kick.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls_On_Keys View Post
Hey,

checked the Ivory plugin and it seems great indeed. But in some bands I use synths/pads which come from Logic. I'm happy with the sound, but I think it could be better, I could ad a little "live" to it...

A thing I once used on a guitar was this little yellow Diamond Compressor. Sounded great, but it's only mono... Anyway, that thing is in the line of what I'm looking for, not really a true compressor, but a nice... color :-)
Any suggestions?
Im confused what the problem would be. just load ivory into logic......

To me anyways the logic pianos are far from good. So doing anything to them wouldn't really "help" them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search