The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goofiest thing a cleint has done while NOT recording.
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear
I had a very politically-correct singer for a metal band (white guy, late 30s) trying to finish out some vocals one night. He liked to try different "voices" (i.e. different styles of singing or screaming) for every song, but they always sort of came out the same. He was looking for inspiration on this one track, and he had this high-pitched Steven Tyler from Aerosmith-type scream going on, when the guitarist (who was stoned beyond belief) suggested "Yea! Mix that with a little Al Jolson!" The singer then proceeded to sing/scream the funniest motherf*cking thing I have ever heard in my life.... I can't exactly remember what it was, but it did contain the word "mammie"... Shortly after I could actually breathe from laughing so hard and wiped the tears from my eyes, I looked up and saw that he was really genuinely upset at what he had sung, and said "Please tell me you did NOT record that..."

Sorry, I know this doesn't exactly fit the subject of the thread, but technically, we weren't recording at that moment :D
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

we had a running joke for a while based on a singer friend of mine who was about to track some vocals one time and went through something like...

smoke, have a few drinks, puke, drink diet coke, puke, smoke again and then be ready to sing...

yeah, that's good for your voice.
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Maniac

not a client, but a friend of mine was laying down some stuff for a joke band thing he was doing. it was some really intense screaming ****, and he wanted to "go crazy", so i gave him a 57 with a windscreen over it and let him do what he wanted. he also wated to not use headphones, so i played everything through the crappy speaker i had at the time. so were doing this is my living room, which is pretty big and, at the time, was very open and empty. he starts running around, screaming his brains out, when another one of our friedns who was there JUMPS ON HIS BACK and starts screaming into the mic with him. then ANOTHER friend jumps on, and does ther same thing. the singer falls, and so do the other 2 dudes, still screaming. then, one of my friends starts punching the singer in the head while hes screaming. needless to say, we kept the track and it came out really really awesome
Old 28th September 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
I was playing on a session once in New Orleans. The keyboard player's girlfriend tagged along but didn't feel like listening to us record, so she said she was going over to the bar across the street and have a drink. About an hour later, we took a break and went outside to get some fresh air. The keyboard player's girlfriend came out of the bar, walked over to us and gave the KB player a kiss. He suddenly jumped back and shouted, "GODDAM, BITCH, YOUR BREATH SMELLS LIKE C*CK!!!" With her hand over her mouth she replied, "Damn baby, you busted me..." Some heated expletives were exchanged, much to the not quite so shocked amusement of the rest of us. We went back in and damn if he didn't play some burning tracks. Wild....

So, if you producers out there need to "inject" a little vibe into a session, just get one of the players girlfriends to go down on some stranger.

WOW!

That's a good one!!!

heh

I used to be a staffer at a studio that was next to a real deal go-go bar....it was GREAT for those times when you wanted to ditch someone for a while so you could work with some other cat in the band without being disturbed...hand 'em a $20 and tell 'em to make it last...

There was also a "secret door" kinda thing between the studio and the bar, pass through an iso-booth, open a door...turn a corner...open another door, down a dark hallway...walk through the bars stockroom...

Annnywaaaaaaaaaay....

This one time while doing overdubs...one of the guys in the band had wandered over to the bar next door (through the secret door) and IIRC the rest of us were doing various overdubs and listening to stuff in the control room and kept working without him...

Eventually this guy wanders back through the secret door with one of the dancers and is showing her around the studio...HUGE room, like 30'x50' with their **** EVERYWHERE...the room's super dark...

There's me and two other guys sitting in the control room, comping stuff together when I noticed that the guy & the chick were out in the live room, so I opened up one of the mics & we started listening to the conversation...he's raving on & on about his band, the music, the WHOLE deal...he ends up asking her for a hummer and she GLADLY obliged that request...

We're all kinda ducking behind the console while their backs are kinda turned to us, so we couldn't really see anything but we could sure as hell hear it! LOL

After they uhhh...sealed the deal....I hit the talkback to studio button and the rest of his bandmates gave them a racous round of applause for the show!!!

heh

The dancer chick FREAKED OUT and ran back through the secret door!

heh

Well played!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search