The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
WallsMart AC/DC Marketing GENIUS!!!!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

WallsMart AC/DC Marketing GENIUS!!!!

The other day I was at the local WallsMart and as we were walking down the dog food aisle my fourteen year-old daughter held up something I thought would never be offered for sale in the entire Universe!

It was a black, dog's chew toy, pillow with a rope thing that had AC/DC silkscreened on the pillow fabric!

As we walked further into the amazingly well marketed products we saw both an AC/DC floor rug and an AC/DC Monopoly set!

Rock boys! Rock!
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Addict

HAHA! I walked into my Wal Mart this week and was equally inundated with AC/DC merchandise. I couldn't decide if buying a "collection" of AC/DC shirts from Wal Mart was a boon or a disgrace. Either way, and I can't explain this, it did make me feel a tad uncomfortable. I mean - I guess I always thought AC/DC was all about sticking it to the man (or, sometimes, the woman - wink wink, know what I mean?); and I also always thought that Wal Mart was THE man when it came to gratuitous retail obscenity. Highway to hell for certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
The other day I was at the local WallsMart and as we were walking down the dog food aisle my fourteen year-old daughter held up something I thought would never be offered for sale in the entire Universe!

It was a black, dog's chew toy, pillow with a rope thing that had AC/DC silkscreened on the pillow fabric!

As we walked further into the amazingly well marketed products we saw both an AC/DC floor rug and an AC/DC Monopoly set!

Rock boys! Rock!
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Well, to me it would seem pathetic if they were like most of the "old bands" out there who should have retired long ago, but..

I saw what I think was their most recent concert/tour on my high-def TV in the studio the other day-

They absolutely kicked-ass, couldn't believe it and couldn't stop watching when it was time to work..

I think I going to Walmart to get me that chew toy for my new puppy- so, how much $ was it?
Old 28th October 2008
I think AC/DC and Walmart hit the same demographics so it's a perfect match.
Old 28th October 2008
I wonder if AC/DC owns thier publishing rights. It could be the label doing it, not the band.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

It makes me laugh though because a friend that is a regional C&W act once did a gig at the WalMart that I shop at!
He knew the store manager who said he'd stock his CD if we'd play a special performance at the store's Christmas party for employees.
So, we set up a small p.a. in the snack area (now a Subway) and the band did a rather "quiet" set for about fifty select employees.
The store was open (does WalMart ever close?) and there were customers and other employees working.
There were cookies and coffee, too! Wheeeeee!!!!!!

The funny part is that several of my neighbors and people who I know in town saw us and I gained some additional weird-o status.

Another hi-light was when the very handsome C&W "star" mentioned that he actually met his wife when she worked at a neighboring WalMart as a cashier.
All of the WalMart employee women sighed in masse! That was VERY funny!
I know that they all figured that the prospect of meeting such handsome man while checking out groceries made their job even more "special."

Yeah, like AC/DC, I am a celebrity at my WalMart.

To make this all even more ironic and funny...
The rock group I worked with in '87 thru '92 had their MCA release BANNED from WalMart.
Anyone remember the PMRC stickers?
Well, those kept your record off the shelves at WalMart back then.
So, like 2-Live Crew, we were BANNED from Walmart and many other stores.

Ahhhhhhh... sweet redemption!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search