The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ADAM A7 monitors have wonderful low end?
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

ADAM A7 monitors have wonderful low end?

So how is the low end on the A7s?

I need a pair of monitors for about $1000 - $1200 for mixing rock and metal.

Adam A7 is the way to go?

I'm stepping up from KRK RP5s, which I hate and I'm using an Apogee Duet (love).
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Addict

Dynaudio bm5 or 10 (which I got) -- are also sweet monitors!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

I just have a pair of A7 since a month and I love them !! I mostly mix rock and metal, just as you. Highs/high mids are really detailed, but those monitors produce no ear fatigue. Low mids are great too, you can balance them with a knob. Bass response is good to me, but you'll need something else to "check" the low end on your mixes, or you have to add the Sub 8 subwoofer, which I heard is very useful and improve a lot the monitoring clarity in the low part of the spectrum.
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
Dynaudio bm5 or 10 (which I got) -- are also sweet monitors!
BM5 or BM5a?

What about the BM6a MKII? Better than the BM5a for Rock/Metal?

I don't want to use a sub, so I need monitors with nice rich/full bass.
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
I just have a pair of A7 since a month and I love them !! I mostly mix rock and metal, just as you. Highs/high mids are really detailed, but those monitors produce no ear fatigue. Low mids are great too, you can balance them with a knob. Bass response is good to me, but you'll need something else to "check" the low end on your mixes, or you have to add the Sub 8 subwoofer, which I heard is very useful and improve a lot the monitoring clarity in the low part of the spectrum.
Thats another thing, I don't want to add a subwoofer....
So the bass is not that pleasant without a sub?
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

You'll either need a sub or go with a different pair all together. The lowend is not very good at all on the A7s.
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

So the Dynaudio BM5a or BM6a MKII would be my 'best' option?

I've also been thinking about the Mackie HR624 MKII
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

You'll most likely need a sub for Adam A7. I have Bm6a and A7 and they work very well together. Bass is so much better on Bm6a. Adam A7 has sweet midrange and high range. Hope it helps a little.
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Maniac

I've been using the original BM6a monitors for several years now, and they seem to fit my production style pretty well.

In my treated room I get plenty of bass for my "dub influenced" techno productions.

Just a satisfied user...
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Depends on your room and room treatment. In my 14'x17' room the BM6s have better bass than my A7s. The A7s sound a little flabby in the 80Hz-125Hz range. I'm debating on which sub to get for them.

The mids and highs are killer on the A7s, but you can always "learn" to mix the mids and highs on any speakers eventually. I guess that goes for the lows too, but if you can't hear them, that's another story.
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
You'll most likely need a sub for Adam A7. I have Bm6a and A7 and they work very well together. Bass is so much better on Bm6a. Adam A7 has sweet midrange and high range. Hope it helps a little.
Unless you are mixing hip hop I would not get a sub for the A7's....
Old 27th October 2008
Here for the gear

I picked up the A7s last week. I have to say the bass it puts out is quiet - but it is delicious, and you do need to adjust to it.

I've found myself EQing what i'm hearing to get a focused image of what's going on down there: for balanced mixing, I've found it actually pretty spot on - on A7s, my reference tracks carry bass which is barely audible, so I aim for this same subtlety on my stuff.

I think it's going to instill a real sense of discipline, as I've been guilty of crankin' the bass for instant gratification in the past and hearing under-par translation when checking on "hype-fi"s.
I believe the A7s smooth, quiet low end might really help me deliver more 'mastered' sounding club-friendly bass before it gets to my ME.

And if it doesn't, I'll just have to get the Sub 8 and start crankin' again!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

a buddy of mine just added the sub8 to his a7's and is much happier with the low end.
Old 27th October 2008
A7 has S2.5A tweeter. it's Dynaudio killer on middles and highs!
but woofer is 6.5". too small for most people who like HUGE bass.
for me HUGE is NOT flat. but we need TRUTH sound.

i use A7 in 9 meters mixing room. very small room.
and it's enough bass for me.
i mean, all mixes done on A7 sounds good on really big systems (from 10 to 100kWtts).

of course there is no "in the chest" low end as on 7-8". but as for me, A7 is the best choice for little studios.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax View Post
A7 has S2.5A tweeter. it's Dynaudio killer on middles and highs!
but woofer is 6.5". too small for most people who like HUGE bass.
for me HUGE is NOT flat. but we need TRUTH sound.

i use A7 in 9 meters mixing room. very small room.
and it's enough bass for me.
i mean, all mixes done on A7 sounds good on really big systems (from 10 to 100kWtts).

of course there is no "in the chest" low end as on 7-8". but as for me, A7 is the best choice for little studios.
it's not about how loud the playback system is. it's about frequency.

it's hard to mix sub/low end information if you cann't hear it.
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Subs for metal? This is certainly a post-hiphop world.
Old 28th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
it's not about how loud the playback system is. it's about frequency.

it's hard to mix sub/low end information if you cann't hear it.
i HEAR it. but i don't FEEL it.
actually, it's NEAR FIELD

also, for metal i don't think you need sub freqs at all. cut them all
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Addict

THey have nice low end. intially, like I didn't have enough so I got the Sub8, nice addition. but when I added the HS-50's as a 2nd set I was able to see how much bass the A7's kicked. It's a nice amount of lows in it. I turn off the sub many times now. Still good that I have it, but don't need to "feel more bass".

Oh yeah, the A7 are the truth. Detail baby!
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

A7's have enough bass for me to get good results that translate.
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Addict

i do R&B most of the time and i have the a7 's

the low's are good to translate.... i also have a sub that i wil turn on 1's in a wile to check the lows. also i have ns-10 to monitor and a boombox, ipod headphones, pc speakers. but i cant mix without my a7 anymore.
if you are used to a low hyped speaker. then you have to learn how far you can go with your lows. because there kind of natural speakers with a exstendid hi.

the dynaudio's are more hyped in the mid.

(PS: the phase on 1 of my a7 xlr input is reversed . had to fix my cabel)
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Maniac

i have found the smaller dynaudios to have a very nice low end, especially if you put them in a corner. i don't have and don't need a sub, for me personally. there have been a few ocassions where super subs have been on a mix, but a quick check in headphones told me what i needed to change and it was no probs. this was in the 30-40 hz area the small dynaudios with no sub are a little light there... but 95% of the time i get comments from clients like "you don't have a sub on those?"
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Head

I have been using the A7 for over a year now and recently got the Sub8. It's a matter of preference, but I like it better than the dynaudio or the blueskys. As far as the bass is concerned, it's true that it doesn't go very low, I did some testing a while back, i believe it ends at around 40kHz. If you do hiphop and dance, you'll probably need the Sub8. From my memory, even the dynaudios need sub help for those low frequencies. You can always add the Sub8 later on down the road.

check this post out, I agree with it 100%

dynaudio bm5a vs. adam a7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search