The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DI on TG2 is noisy
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Addict

DI on TG2 is noisy

Hi all

I have been wondering why my TG2's DI inputs seem to be quite noisy. I have noticed this when plugging a guitar with processing directly into it as well as when using a P-Bass.
When I use the same inputs into my Millenia or my mackie onyx most of the noise clears up.
I realize that both of those sources (bass and processed guitar) have noise inherent but the TG2 does seem to be much noisier than my other pres.

FYI all preamps are plugged into the same power conditioner and the wiring here is new and grounded correctly. The TG2 seems to be working fine through the mic inputs.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Maniac

This may sound incredibly ludicrous to you, but my TG2 operates regardless of whether the power switch is on or off, and when running my Fender J through the DI I get a different sound depending on where the switch is at!!

This doesn't give any clues to your problem of course, I'm just wondering if it's just me and I have a eccentric version!

cheers
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by here and there View Post
This may sound incredibly ludicrous to you, but my TG2 operates regardless of whether the power switch is on or off, and when running my Fender J through the DI I get a different sound depending on where the switch is at!!

This doesn't give any clues to your problem of course, I'm just wondering if it's just me and I have a eccentric version!

cheers
No it only works as a DI when the button is pressed.
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

ddp - i think here and there is referring to the actual power button for the TG2 (PSU) - not the DI button on the face of the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by here and there View Post
my TG2 operates regardless of whether the power switch is on or off
man.. that is spooky and right on time for halloween...
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

While I don't know what is causing this, I decided to bypass the front DIs in favor of using a pair of radial JDIs through the mic inputs. Sounds better to my ears, and no noise whatsoever. I believe the front DI input bypasses the mic input transformer, which is part of the EMI sound.

I had another friend who was having this problem, except with the Great River MP2NV, I recommended the same remedy and he is loving it now with the JDIs.

My 3.2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Addict

I'm not very enthusiastic about the DI on my Chandler stuff with the exception of LTD1 which I have used but do not own. I generally use a DI Box and go through the mic input of my TG2, Germ or TG Channel. If this indeed puts a transformer in the path then that is probably why I prefer going direct this way. Definitely sounds better for me than plugging into the instrument input.

Bass Driver DI into the Germ is my usual bass rig.
Old 28th October 2008
Here for the gear

Tg-2 DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by here and there
my TG2 operates regardless of whether the power switch is on or off
Maybe you are referring to the switch on the back of the Tg-2 that is
labeled on off? This is the summing switch. You would see a significant
level change in the on verse off position.

Jeremy
Old 28th October 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi all

I have been wondering why my TG2's DI inputs seem to be quite noisy. I have noticed this when plugging a guitar with processing directly into it as well as when using a P-Bass.
When I use the same inputs into my Millenia or my mackie onyx most of the noise clears up.
I realize that both of those sources (bass and processed guitar) have noise inherent but the TG2 does seem to be much noisier than my other pres.

FYI all preamps are plugged into the same power conditioner and the wiring here is new and grounded correctly. The TG2 seems to be working fine through the mic inputs.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Mail [email protected] Wade will fix you up!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search