Tracking vocals with my Demeter VTMP-2b
Old 22nd October 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Tracking vocals with my Demeter VTMP-2b

I have a Demeter VTMP-2b, which is my main piano (nothing comes close to it in piano), over heads and fret-less pre. I bough nice RCA tubes for it. I wanted very warm sounding tubes to fill that gap in my studio. That's what I got. Now it's creamy, fat and dark (hmmm, like a chocolate shake). But now it is relegated to the "exceptions corner". I'll love to use it in vocals, but is so dark right now that I can't find any use for it in that task.

Does anybody know nice tubes for this unit that could make it suitable for vocals?
Old 22nd October 2008
  #2
AB3
Lives for gear
 

I had that exact pre. I used NOS Mullard CV series or NOS telefunken tubes. Just enough clarity while smooth. Not dark. RCAS should be fine for the 12bh7s, however. What mic are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I have a Demeter VTMP-2b, which is my main piano (nothing comes close to it in piano), over heads and fret-less pre. I bough nice RCA tubes for it. I wanted very warm sounding tubes to fill that gap in my studio. That's what I got. Now it's creamy, fat and dark (hmmm, like a chocolate shake). But now it is relegated to the "exceptions corner". I'll love to use it in vocals, but is so dark right now that I can't find any use for it in that task.

Does anybody know nice tubes for this unit that could make it suitable for vocals?
Old 23rd October 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I had that exact pre. I used NOS Mullard CV series or NOS telefunken tubes. Just enough clarity while smooth. Not dark. RCAS should be fine for the 12bh7s, however. What mic are you using?
I tried a Pearlman TM1 and a C414. The thing is that I work mainly rock and pop. I always end up using my APIs or the UA 2108.

I guess it would be nice for jazz or a smooth ballad...
Old 23rd October 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hey AB, what did you pay for those you mentioned?
Old 25th October 2008
  #5
AB3
Lives for gear
 

That really tests my memory. I bought CV4004 tubes from Sandphoto on ebay at one point in time. A real good tube seller. I notice they do not have them on ebay now. I would not buy from just anyone on ebay, but Sandyphoto has always come through for me. They do have these and claim they are great:

2 MATCHED 12AX7 ECC83 TUBES-BEST I'VE HEARD-NO KIDDING! - eBay Vacuum Tubes, Tubes, Vintage Electronics, Electronics. (end time 30-Oct-08 23:11:54 AEDST)

Smooth plate telefunken 12ax7s work great in that unit. (I got some locally for about $25 each, but expect to pay at least $50 each now.) I might have a couple I am not using.


I think I might also have the Mullard 12AT7 that would be great. You should be fine with RCA 12BH7s.

Send me a private message and we will talk. It is a great preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Hey AB, what did you pay for those you mentioned?
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jim Easton / High end
11
zoinks7070 / High end
2
Lucin Niega / High end
1
Lucin Niega / High end
0
tubes2bits / High end
4

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search