The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a few noob questions
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

a few noob questions

Hi Gearslutz

AM currently looking at setting up my PC for more "serious" music production. This projects will be mainly electronic, cubase VST'i and so on with some single mic work.

M y crtieria for soundcard is best sound and stability. After much reading I am looking at buying the Fireface 400. At the mo I dont need the I/O options, but may in the future.

Question one:- Can this be hooked to the AUX input of my preamp?(I currently own a Linn LK1, 280 and spark an old but still very nice sounding piece of high end HI-FI, please no discussion about changing to studio gear, no money at the mo for it)

Question two:- Considering I dont need all the I/O (but who knows where this may go?) Are there better sounding units for the money with less I/O

thx for reading and your patience with the noob questions, i have a lot to learn but am loving the process heh

gKaR
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Addict

The Fireface has 2 inbuilt preamps that are possibly better than your other one(s). If you still intend to use your old ones they have to be first in the chain not after. The fireface has AD(Anologue to Digital) converters in it, so having that come out to a preamp means your preamp won't be generating any sound into the computer if that makes sense.
Just a brief reply but hopefully that points you in the right direction.
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

thx 4 the reply, but am looking at amplification once the sound leaves the Fireface.

I have got a reply from RME Audio support and they say the outputs are line level so shouldnt be a problem. Would be better I think if someone could point me the direction of some basic readibng material about the different kinds of I/O etc. teach a man to fish and all that
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

I own a FF400 too, it's a very nice piece of gear and yes, you can hook it up to your Hi Fi amp!
there no reasons why it shouldn't work ...
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

thx mrhenry heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search